Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery check in for Avengers!

How is everyone who had surgery so far? I want details...everything... from length of surgery & how u are all feeling tell me all you can please! I am getting nervous now! 7 more days!

Today is my first good day. Still having gas pains, but able to get up and move around the house. I am still 100% excited about having the surgery and can't wait for the results!

How is everyone who had surgery so far? I want details...everything... from length of surgery & how u are all feeling tell me all you can please! I am getting nervous now! 7 more days!

Hey there...

I had surgery on the 2nd at noon. I'm told surgery took about 20 minutes. I woke up as they were wheeling me out of the Operating Room. I was groggy but felt fine. Had some minor gas pain and a sore throat. Once I walked around the gas pain subsided. The pain meds numbed the sore throat. I was released from the hospital at 7pm and home by 8.

Since I have been home I have been walking and the gas pain from surgery is gone. I have zero appetite and its hard to drink the Protein powder. My stomach is gurgling a bit, but I don't have nausia and I'm not hungry. I do enjoy drinking the broth though...feels good on my sore throat.

I do have a little back pain from getting up and down out of chairs and the bed, and from sleeping on my back. I'm a side/stomach sleeper...so laying on my back to sleep has been the hardest part of the whole ordeal.

Im now the proud owner of an Allergan AP LapBand :biggrin2:. Surgery went great. Overnight stay in the hospital and was discharged around noon today. Pain/Discomfort hasnt been bad and seems to be mostly due to GAS both upper and lower. Walking is starting to move that gas along and pain/discomfort is dropping significantly. One thing that is very cool is that Im not hungry at all. No stomach growling... no craving... Im loving it.

wow congrats to all of you! I hope mine and all the rest of us soon to go goes that good! Keep us posted on your recovery.

...i had my surgery with Dr Zapata, in Monterrey, Mexico. Everything went exactly as planned, no surprises. All things considered, I feel pretty good! Plus; I met a cute skinny lady here that was banded 2 years ago and returned for some work on her flabby arms...but know what? She looked GREAT and I do mean GREAT.

Slight gas and port pain, no problems drinking Water or eating Jello or drinking gatorade....but although I have not eaten more than that in two days, I don´t feel hungry at all!

I walked as soon as possible, like they said to, and it was the best thing. When I walked, I felt better right away. And when I feel bad or gassy, I walk and feel better right away.

I am the biggest weenie, I cried when they did my pick line in my arm and when they gave me a shot. I am always like that..I went under anesthesia right away all as planned, and woke up a little upset, crying for my husband. The nurses were so great, they made him scrub up and brought him in right away to calm me down. It hurt a little bit but it was not too bad. I threw up a tiny bit coming out of anesthesia, then as soon as that was over began to calm down and was just fine. The port is the more painful thing, the band itself is fine. The port is stitched into your side, so feels pinchy..but not unbearable by any means. I spent the night in the hospital since my surgery was not until 4 pm, and the nurses were super all night long. Pain meds ontime and never needed a thing. They took care of my dh too, making him a bed. Our room was like a nice hotel room, with a fold out bed for him. I have received excellent care and I am looking forward to some tours tomorrow in Monterrey. I have a few more nights in Monterrey, they use a 4 star hotel so its nice here.

Personally, I am thanking God for this safe surgery and how everything went so smooth...I had some great friends praying for me and things could not have been better. Best wishes to all of you, I am thrilled for this new beginning!:tongue:

I'm nervously excited too! I am to be banded on the 10th.

Reading all of your experiences thus far is helping some of the anxiety.

Please keep telling us, it helps so much!

I am so happy that everyone is doing so well!!!!!

As Alicia said... the walking is key. It gets that gas out which seems to be the source of a lot of the discomfort. I walked about a quarter mile this morning and it really felt good. Dont try to be a hero with the pain med either.... take it. Its hard to play 'catch up' if you start hurting.

I am one happy camper today. Not hungry in the least. Its amazing. I was starving heading to the hospital on Thursday morning.... not one pang since the surgery.

Forget the anxiety... ! :tt1::regular_smile::frown:

I totally agree with everyone else, I posted my update on another thread so i won't repeat it here, but funny story...

This morning i started drinking after obviously not drinking all night so my stomach was empty. I took two sips and then a sound like Water going down a bathtub drain happened it was so funny i just had the visual of a whirlpool of liquid swishing around the band and going through the hole! hehehe.

I totally agree with everyone else, I posted my update on another thread so i won't repeat it here, but funny story...

This morning i started drinking after obviously not drinking all night so my stomach was empty. I took two sips and then a sound like Water going down a bathtub drain happened it was so funny i just had the visual of a whirlpool of liquid swishing around the band and going through the hole! hehehe.

That is too funny....my DH must think I'm nuts, laughing all by myself!

my stomach is constantly making gurgling noises, i had read about it somewhere that it always will, but that's not a huge deal to me, it's funny! haha.

I am happy to see that everyone is doing well. I was banded on April 3rd and my surgery went very well. It took approx. 45 minutes and I was home the same day. Today is a good day. I have more energy and it does not hurt as much to walk. I am still experiencing some gas pains and like everyone said the walking helps a lot. I am also learning the difference between hunger and gas pains. I am on all Clear Liquids until Friday. I cannot wait to get some thicker Soups in my stomach for week #2. It is funny how different all the post-surgery diets are as I read all the threads. I am happy that my doctor told me not to take my blood pressure medication and I do not feel any side effects. Good Luck to everyone. We are going to be successful!!!!!:regular_smile:

my stomach is constantly making gurgling noises, i had read about it somewhere that it always will, but that's not a huge deal to me, it's funny! haha.

Oh man, I can relate!

I have the gurgles...big time.

It's day 4 post op for me and I'm really starting to feel better. I am up and doing light chores around the house, wearing normal clothes (instead of a nightgown), and walking my dog. Last night I was able to sleep on my side for the 1st time since the operation.

The difficulties currently are a gurgling stomach, ZERO appetite (really hard to drink those protien shakes), and a general sadness that I cant eat chili, bbq chicken, or a salad yet. :regular_smile:

It's really remarkable how full I get on such a small amount of food. I hope this feeling stays and isn't just a post op lack of appetite. I think it must be the band because when I had surgery before (gall bladder) I was ravenous by the second day after the operation.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this band will continue to make me feel full on such a small amout of food.< /p>

Congrats to all on your continued quick recovery.

Natasha, if you don't mind my asking........ I had gall bladder surgery several years ago too, I was curious if there was any difficulty on your surgery due to scar tissue or if it effected it at all?