Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band

I will be having my surgery April 16th and i'm so ready to start my new life. I am curious how others that have the realize band are doing? My doctor gave me the choice of which band I wanted and since the realize band is the newest techology I chose it. Also, I saw where they have a great support program on their website.

Thanks

I don't even know what the difference is. Can anyone tell me what is different from that band and a Inamed 10cc band?

I was shown both bands and there wasn't much of a difference. The part of the band that gets filled was one continuous tube on the realize band and the Inamed was in sections. I think they may have hooked together differently to. As far as performance my doctor didn't think there was much of a difference either. So I guess if there are any major difference i'd like to know them to? lol

I will be having my surgery April 16th and i'm so ready to start my new life. I am curious how others that have the realize band are doing? My doctor gave me the choice of which band I wanted and since the realize band is the newest techology I chose it. Also, I saw where they have a great support program on their website.

Thanks

Nikki-

I was given the choice, too, and I think I'm going to go with the Realise one. I've not been given the 'secret code' to get onto the larger part of the website, but so far, it looks promising. If you do a search for it here (as well as "Swedish Band") you'll find lots of threads about it.

I don't even know what the difference is. Can anyone tell me what is different from that band and a Inamed 10cc band?

Denise-

First, the biggest thing is that my surgeon seemed to be happy about was Johnson and Johnson's reputation about standing behind their products (they're the ones distributing Realise).

The band is entirely 'low pressure' versus the Inamed that becomes high pressure after 4cc (?? -- I think that was the number he gave me). Meaning, if you go in to do a fill at a certain point with the Inamed, the pressure load of the saline will be high enough that it would push back the plunger on the syringe ... or shoot out if there was a leak. With the Realise one, it's low pressure throughout. And I was told that would be beneficial in terms of keeping food from getting stuck. Because the band is wider (and somewhat softer by extension), it can kind of mold to a larger chunk of food to help it move through the stoma rather than having it lodged there for however long it would take to either get displaced or digested.

My surgeon also told me that the interior of the band gets inflated all the way around (as opposed to the sections that Nikki described, leaving less of a chance of erosion/rubbing in one spot.

Also, all Realise bands come with a low profile port (Inameds don't - or didn't until recently come with that option).

There's also that whole online support thing that comes with the band where you can track exercise, food, calories, etc. You can also have it set up so your doctor can link in to your personal page and follow your progress. There was, however, a pretty big issue with it only being offered to US patients (Patients in Canada and those who had the surgery done in Mexico apparently weren't eligible for the web program. Dunno if they revised that or not).

That's all I'm remembering off the top of my head for now. I'm sure there's probably more. I have the little book the doctor gave me floating around here somewhere...If I think of anymore, I'll come back and edit.

-m

Edited by dancinglamb

I just received an email from inamed and it looks like they are attempting the same thing that realize is doing with their web site.

Lapband.com - About

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but from the email, it sounds a lot about the the realize band site.

I am going with the Realize band too!

There is also a difference in how the port is attached to the fascia (sp?) of the muscle wall. I AM NOT A DOCTOR BUT I will attempt to explain it.

..it has a tool that does it...reminds me of a stud/buttoner type thing...anyway so it is NOT stitched on...the claws "grab" the tissue and then scar tissue etc forms over to help secure it...They say this results in less port pain during the healing time??

If you go on their website they have a animation of it.

Be careful what you read because some people are definitely against the competition of this band.

I just received an email from inamed and it looks like they are attempting the same thing that realize is doing with their web site.

Lapband.com - About

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but from the email, it sounds a lot about the the realize band site.

Yeah, I think the two companies are in fierce competition, which is good for us! I got the Realize on March 5. My surgeon said, in the end, both devices are quite simple and the differences aren't very important to their functioning. My doc also likes the fact that J&J is so big...but most of all the support website, which J&J must really sell hard to surgeons.

I have been using the RealizeMySuccess site. It's pretty good, but honestly it has some minor but annoying bugs. Like it sent me two alerts -- one that I've gained weight and one that I've lose 25 lbs and should ask my doctors about changing my medication dosages. Neither alert is true based on the weight data I've put in! Also for the daily food diaries, there aren't enough foods in the database. Like, the Protein powder I use is not in there. So... I would say the site needs improvement, but yeah, it's got a lot of useful stuff and great potential.

I have the realize band....No problems so far....I got banded on the 7th of feb, 2008 and had my 1st fill last Friday. I got 3 cc's and still have no restrictions so I called my doctor and I am getting another 2 cc's tomorrow....Im really excited and cant wait to get tighter! I have a 9cc band....If you have any questions please feel free to ask....

Michelle and Lisa? Thanks for your posts...Good luck to both of you...How was your port pain after surgery? If yes, how long???

Thanks

Oops!, Sorry I misread that....I did have port pain after surgery.....It was bad at first and I couldnt lay on that side to sleep....but it soon faded....I was banded in Feb so it hasnt been all that long....When they push on it to fill the port it is tender....but no pain....

Thanks for answering...good to know info!

Michelle and Lisa? Thanks for your posts...Good luck to both of you...How was your port pain after surgery? If yes, how long???

Thanks

I didn't have any port pain right after surgery. A couple weeks later I had a bit of soreness for a few days, but that's gone now. I bowled 3 games 3 weeks after surgery, if that gives you an idea. :smile:

I'm not sure if the choice of band affects your post-surgery pain that much. I've seen such variations here for all of them!