Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so, I was wondering if anyone had a sure fire way to rid yourself of the CO2 gas pains. I'm 3 days post op, and this is the only thing that is still hurting a lot. I'm up and moving around a lot. I've tried gas-x strips and they didn't do anything. Last night I slept on a heating pad for half the night, and that didn't help either. I'm going to make myself some hot tea, because I heard that Hot Drinks help. Does anyone have any other advice? The gas is bad enough that I'm still taking my pain meds every couple of hours, but they make me go to sleep. I feel fine otherwise and don't really want to sleep all day, particularly since that keeps me from getting up and walking around.

I was banded on March 13th. I dreaded the gas pains myself, but luckily I did not experience that. I was told to walk alot and move your arms around and up and down while walking. I live in the country and would walk to our cattle gaurd and back while moving my arms around like a crazy women. Sorry you are in pain - sounds like you have tried it all.............Good luck:thumbup:

I was banded 5 days ago and the gas pains are really helped by walking.

Edited by windy

I am 9 day post op and still suffering with gas. I have cut down on pain meds now that my incisions are healing. I tried everything to get rid of the gas, but the only thing that worked was movement. Of course, early on movement hurt. I have been up 15lbs due to the gas. This morning I was well enough to go for a walk and that helped reduce some gas. Maybe around 4 lbs worth! Yea! HANG IN THERE. I used ice on my swelling to reduce it. As your incisions heal your gas will not be as painful.

I'm 8 days post-op now and in the same boat; the only thing that touches the pain (which has lodged in my left shoulder) is the oxycodone that was prescribed to me after surgery, which has the unfortunate side effect of making me quite loopy. While walking doesn't help mine, I find that changing position does. If I'm lying down and it hurts, it'll stop (or at least decrease) if I stand up and vice versa. My surgeon's nurse also recommended walking with your arms over your head, but your mileage on that may vary.

I'm 2 weeks out and thought I was past the gas pain stage... It has come back in full swing. I can't eat, I can't sleep, and last night I actually vomited air. YUP! saliva - heaves - and then up came the air. It was one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had. My question is... How long does this last??? Because nothing is working!

I had insanely bad gas pains after surgery and took gas-x but that didn't seem to help much. What really helped me was sleeping on an incline (4 or 5 pillows), walking around, having someone pound on my back (like burping a baby), and a really hot, hot water bottle placed wherever I was feeling the pain. If you can get someone sweet to move it around and hold it in place for you, all the better :bolt:

I found that milk of mag helped my gas pain and moving around at least ever 3-4 hours.

Roz

Banded 4-28-08

Windy,

I was banded on the 25th and suffered horribly from nausea AND vomiting. My doc first put me on phenergan, but switched to zofran when the phenergan didn't help. As it turns out, my band was a bit snug because of the fat pad in my stomach. My doc said it would loosen on its own in a week or 2, but I ended up going back in and having him trim some of it off. I had gotten dehydrated from the nausea and couldn't wait any longer. That's just my story, but I am feeling so much better now! I hope you feel better soon too!

lafsalot, i was sick this weekend with your same issue!! i had the flu and ( 4days post op is when it appeared) but i too was salivia heaving and vomiting these huge air pockets, it was gross but now I feel like I still have all these huge burps in me, that will come out at random times, are you per chance experiencing anything near the same?

when I was going to the hospital for all the info on the surgery they told me to use GasX strips. I did and they worked fast. I suggest you buy them.

I too have the gas pains...I was banded 4.1.08 in Dallas. Walking doesnt seem to help, nor does the gasx strips that I have been using. Today the gas pains were like severe period cramps..does anyone have any other ideas that may help?

There are two different types of gas pain that you experience post-surgically. Unfortunately, most often, the only thing that helps is time and walking.

Gas pain #1:

This is the pain related to the gas they use to inflate your abdomen during surgery. The air is removed, however a tiny bit does sometimes remain and can cause the bloated feeling and the referred "gas pains" in the shoulder. The only remedy for that is time.

Gas pain #2:

This is the pain caused by the gut trying to normalize itself after surgery, and is not always related to actual gas present in the bowel. The bowel is EXTREMELY sensitive, and surgery in the abdomen tends to make it stop moving (the bowel is *always* moving--called peristalsis). When the bowel finally starts moving again, some 24-48 hours after surgery, the pains felt are actually cramping sensations as the bowel moves in an uncoordinated fashion in the beginning. Medications do not generally relieve this type of pain either...the gut just needs to get back to normal. Physical activity helps this along.

Try to avoid narcotics (vicodin, percocet) to relieve the pain, these will slow the gut down, when you want it to start moving.

Heat, activity, and sometimes Gas-x can help. Most of the time, though...it just takes a while.

I'm right there with you hope2be! I was banded on Wednesday 4/2 and I still have gas pain. It's worse than the incisional pain for sure. At first it was in my left shoulder and now seems to be all across my chest and abd, even my neck, lol. I have tried gas-x, not sure if they helped or not but will take again today just in case. I tried heat and that does seem to help, and also walking helps. I just hope it won't last too much longer. Hang in there, and good luck to you! Laura

I am now 4 days post op and I have pressure in my belly but I also have been farting ALOT. I thought maybe because of the fact that I havent been able to go number 2 since the operation. I feel like I am going to pop sometimes.