Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NJ April 2008.....

I'm really swollen, and sore. I start physcial therapy tomorrow. Today is my first day without bandages and I was able to shower today. ~Mandy

Jessica & Diane---thank you so much.....I don't know what more to say, other than thank you. This is my child, I am at a loss. It just seems we went through these heart problems with my DH---his was a different valve....and it cannot be inherited, she is not his child!!! Even though they act so much alike no one believes that. Everyone always tells us, she looks just like me, but acts just like Rick, she even laughs like him. But she is from my first marriage. To her Rick is her Dad, always will be, but....doesn't explain the heart problems.

I will keep you posted as we get answers. Again----with all my heart I am thankful for my LBT family.

Mandy--did they open your knee all the way up? I had to have my right one opened the other surgeries were arthroscopic---which was much simpler, and less painful.

Granddaughter is hollering--BBL~~

Kat

Mandy glad to hear it went well.

Kat your daughter is in my prayers.

Hello everyone....just got a fill today and it's 12:07am and I already have heartburn :redface: Grrr this reflux/sour stomach thing put me over the edge before and I'm trying to keep an open mind...thinking...if I lose 10 pounds it may go away but, man the first night and cripe I'm on liquids! I actually posted a thread in the complications area just to see if anyone has a natural remedy for sour stomach/acid reflux. I've poked around the last hour trying to find a natural remedy online. Cripe it seems I've found something then BINGO they want $34.95 for the answer grrrrr. I poked and read drinking 1 Tblsp of Apple cider vinegar with 8 oz of Water 2-3 times a day will do it. Ewww not sure how that will taste..then another said add Baking Soda to that concoction. I also read eating a slice of apple before bed...and another was grating a grapefruit peel, let it dry, store it in a baggy and when you feel sour stomach eat a little of it. Another was cinnamon and corrander? I'm at a loss...I might have to try all of them to see if one works but, right now I'm on stinking liquids as it is. So if any of you have a home remedies book at home can you look it up for me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh Picked up my bike today too :rant: She's a beauty. I was so nervous though...just getting used to the thought that I even have a motorcycle lol. I've had my license for two years but, never really drove on my own other than the classes and test on a very small bike. This bike by most standards is small but, to me it's big. I ended up driving around my yard.....started to get used to it but, need some more practice before I hit the road that's for sure. I actually wore tracks into the grass. I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled but, hell it's my yard lol. DH wanted me to get on the bike today but, it took me a while and I told him I'm going at my own pace not his lol. He understood but, naturally encouraged me until I was on it and drove it around a few times. He's all excited that his wife has a bike it's funny.

Well it's now 12:15pm...suppose I should try yet again to sleep. I'm nervous though :hurt:

Anyone know why we don't get notification when someone posts now? Are you all getting them because I"m not. Not for one single thread I belong to

Sweet dreams ya'll

Sherry---what all types of medication have you tried for the reflux? I mean some of them attempt to stop it, and others block the body from forming so much acid. My Dr. told me that with us eating so much less, that it might be the way to go---because my hiatal hernia is back. So I am now doing Aciphex samples he gave me, not seeing any difference, but I do ok, IF I follow my own little rituals!!! No food after dinner, I take a walk and carry a bottle of Water, try to flush it through----then nothing at all else. I sleep on a wedge pillow, on my side, and I am fine. If I change any of those, seriously---like eating late or something, I still sometimes wake up with heartburn like crazy---but seldom actually reflux anymore.

I take my meds mid day---Vitamins and now the aciphex.....I was doing the Prilosec---he said they work on different levels, and for us to try this...so WTH---we are trying it!

I am scared to death to go be unfilled!!! I am not tightly restricted now, but I do not feel hunger where I am! I am afraid what will happen when I do! I am also curious to see if there is a difference with my reflux---doubting it though, this is how I was before being banded....exactly! I always attributed it to eating too much fatty food---that is not an issue anymore!

I go for the unfill on the 13th. My weekend with the Shrinking Violets in Texas, I will be wide open---thank goodness I will have all those bandsters to try to keep my in line! Then I have surgery the day after I get home....and can go back to begin my fills again anytime after the swelling reduces. Hope it is quick---I don't trust myself yet---hoping to surprise myself....but not holding my breath!!! LOL

How's work?

Well I am proud of you over the bike! I am such a slug---I cannot tell you how often I sleep on the back of Ricks----I can't sleep if I am driving!! LOL Let me know how you like it!

Better get my butt in bed, 5 comes early!!!

Hugs---and thanks for keeping Manda in your prayers---she sees the cardiac thoracic lady next Tuesday, and sees the gyno tomorrow for an ultrasound....and should hear the results of her CA 125--which is a tumor marker blood test. Please let it all be good......

Talk Soon!

Kat

kat please keep us updated on Manda you are both in my prayers daily!

I am started to be very thankful that I dont need a fill because all that I read is about this damn acid reflux. I have never experience it and i dont really think I want to!!

pretty bike sherry - scary but pretty - I have never been on a bike and I am not sure I could do that but YAY for all you biking ladies YOU ROCK!!!

does anyone know if I am allowed to carry on a can of Slim Fast onto a plane? Im flying to cali tmrw morning and I have a very early flight so I know I will not eat Breakfast before I leave the house and probably not while Im at the airport either. I wanted to bring a Slim Fast with me to have on the plane but I am not sure if they will let me through security with it. Im not a big plane food person and now with the band and hearing stories of people getting tighter on the flight I am not really sure I want to risk eating whatever they offer.

just peekin' in to say hi. i'm at work, no time read posts or type a long post.....was just thinkin' 'bout a great bunch o' folks! have a good day, all!

Bike is finally registered and street legal...geesh I went through heck for this. Had so much running around to do Thursday went to registry first and got rejected. The woman claimed I needed the odometer reading to be on the bottom of the title or on a separate claimer page. I don't get it considering its a brand new bike..the dealer wrote 3 miles in the section that is handing me over the bike on the title. There were no previous owners...just the dealer yet the registry says this. So I called my insurance, she called the main branch in Boston and the main guy of the registry said absolutely not needed and to have them call him if they give me a hassle again. WEll my son had to go for placement testing for college so I brought him there and hit the registry in that area. I was just about done with the process, the plate was in front of me and the final part of plugging it into the computer almost done..and she says...oh I do need the odometer disclosure. Ummm it's right there the bike is brand new the dealer put 3 miles. She said but we need this part filled out...I told her no way no how I'm going all the way to NH and then told her the guy's name in Boston and what he said. She said ohhhh Bob...ok never mind just sign and print your name here and I"ll mark that he said it was ok. Yeap whatever will get my bike on the road lady! So it's now on the road but, I'm nervous lol. I did go up and down my street today about 8 times...did a uturn in the street...yikes that was nerve wracking but, I did it. Came a little close to one mailbox but, by close I mean 3 feet so really not bad but, still made me nervous. Hubby says it's not all that often you gotta make a turn like that and he said I did really well. I still have to get used to my bike, I know that and I know once I do I'll feel better about longer rides. I told DH not to push me that I need to go at my own pace...but honestly without a little pushing from him I probably would still be looking at the bike and not have been on her lol. I love it! It's really a good size for me....but you can still get killed out there so i need to know I'm comfortable prior to taking a trip with it. I did buy a few things for it today though...some really cool vinyl stickers that look like chrome. I put the roses on the sides and I found a guardian angel one I put on my tank. I feel better knowing my angels are with me when I'm riding. Lord knows I asked them to please be with me today while I took her out for the first time on the street. I have to say it is fun :thumbup: Now I need a windshield for it....it's warm here but, burr it was cold with that wind going by me hahaha

I've been on vacation all week and we've had the best weather here in Massachusetts. It's been perfect all week. I did manage to clean my livingroom including dusting and cleaned out my kitchen cabinets. Amazing how much food is in there from ummmm way too long ago. Needless to say my trashman wasn't pleased with the lifting he had to do this week hahaha. All cleaned now :unsure: I was hoping to hit a few closets but, I didn't make it. Not with the running around I needed to do plus I didn't sleep well the other night because of the reflux.

Took a course last night on how to give Nurses CEUs when they take a Reiki Course. Lots of laws and rules you need to follow but, I think we'll be able to offer those to them now so that's great. The teacher was great too...lots of humor so it kept us going even though it was late at night.

How is everyone doing? Seems our threads have really gotten alot smaller aye? I can understand it though...we're all so dang busy that's for sure. I know I am...and brain dead after being on a computer all day. I've been here posting this week because I haven't had to be on the computer all week. I have to say I feel pretty rested....the problem is I have to go back on Monday UGH. I like it once I'm there but, prior to....oh I dread it lol

Well I have to run to the grocery store and finish up the laundry. I hope you're all doing well and shrinking. One thing I can say about the liquid stage after a fill....I lost 4 pounds in 2 days so that's at least one good thing!

LOVE YA

Sherry, loved your bike stories! Glad you're enjoying it! I'm so sorry to hear about the reflux issues. I remember reading some time back, how bad you had it with that dang reflux! Hope it calms down for ya.

Kat, thanks for keeping us posted on your DD. You sure do have a lot coming up soon! Violets meeting, TT, It's getting exciting, huh?

Sure do miss Pat and Betty. Can't wait to hear about Betty's vacation!

Well, I gotta tell ya.....(I shared this with Pat already).....A few times I felt very close to saying "well, it's been nice folks... was great talkin' to you all, gotta leave now....I failed." :w00t: I remember the first fill, how well it worked. The the second fill, how I could barely even keep liquids down! One week later I had to have an unfill (1/2 of what was put in). Now, I can eat sooooooo much! It started with stuff getting "stuck". it seemed like a daily occurance that I had to spit the stuck stuff up...then I'd try to eat again (stupid or what????!!!!!) finally, I'm just eating almost everything bad under the sun! I got "fill shy" when I felt too tight, but truthfully.....My once consistantly sensible food choices have become open to eating some ice cream here, chips there, WTH, why not just have a candy bar! (my eyes are getting misty from recounting all this) My band didn't fail me, I failed my band! 3 meals and one snack, LOL pffffffft! Needless to say, there hasn't been any weight loss!!! I've been gaining and losing the same 2 lbs. for about a month now :tongue2: I know I'm eating while not particullary hungry, what can I DO about that!!! What difference would a fill make then? And as hard as I've tried to grab my shoulders and yank my head out of my *SS it"s still there! Well there you have it my dismay my confession my hope I can still get my head screwed on straight and turn this around!

Tomorrow, DH and me will be in DC for an extended weekend. I'm looking forward to it. We used priceline to get a four star hotel $260 per night for $80 a night! in between the capitol and the white house. Not sure yet if I'm taking the laptop or not............I bet I end up taking it tho'!!

Thanks for reading my rambling. (Sorry about it being so whiney)

Diane...you're far far from a failure and you haven't failed your band. We all hit plateaus...we've all played with a certain amount of pounds...it is tough NO DOUBT and you know what? I'm two years out and still struggle. I just got a fill Wednesday myself. I can tell you that prior to this fill, 5 months ago I went in to the doc to possibly get a fill after that long bought of reflux and having my band unfilled by 1/2 the total amount in it..my God that had my band wide open. Anyway...When I went in after that bought and got weighed in October I had weighed EXACTLY what I did a year prior. Not one month Diane...but 12 MONTHS of no weightloss. I'm telling you it was EXACTLY the same as it was the year before. A year wasted with my band is what I was thinking but, at the same time....my good friends here and Christine told reminded me...I didn't gain. Sure I actually had and played with a certain amount of pounds up, down, up down, up..and apparently it was the up part that stayed to keep me at the same weight..so I got that fill after much fear of the reflux coming back. Well he did the fill, I went home and BINGO back to his office the next day because I couldn't swallow my own spit! UGH. Initially I lost 15 pounds and I was finally under 200. I was so excited. Slowly but surely I'm went back up 11 pounds...lost 15, then gained back 11 as my band loosened and stress at work got worse. (Stress just sucks for our banded life let me tell ya.) So back up to 208 for me and that was gradual too first lost the under 200 goal I had for myself...slowly up to 204 then 206, then 204, then 206 and finally at 208 just before having to go to the doc. UGH. I was kicking myself pretty hard that day. Turns out on his paper looks like I didn't lose at all since the last fill. Anyway....I was determined to get another fill EVEN IF it caused me to get reflux again I just have to try. I know I haven't been good to myself or been true to the band rules and I need to kick it in gear. I am suffering with reflux right now...so I'm trying natural remedies to see if I can just get through the first 10 pounds to see if that will help ease up the tightness. I guess a new determination has kicked in...but, I can't say I'm perfect that's for sure. Have I exercised...nope....should I of course! I haven't really been able to eat much the first 3 days because it's suppose to be all liquids and today is mushy day 1. Since Wed I had lost 4 but, naturally my scale is up a pound today so I've lost 3...got 6 more to lose before I'm back under 200 again......but, one day at a time. I can't keep knocking myself (we are our own worse bully you know!) I just have to try. One day at a time, one meal at a time.....especially one forkfull at a time. You can do this Diane, you really can. A fill is scarey my friend...it really can be when you've had trouble before but, take small steps. How about eating more fiberous foods or something that takes longer to digest to help fill you up first? I know BELIEVE ME, easier said than done...because Me...my downfall is Ice cream, chips, any crunch salty snack and figures...they go down no trouble. It's all a head game really and that sucks because thats the hardest hunger to put off. Can you get a slight fill with your doc? Tell him/her listen last time I couldn't swallow...so instead of putting the 1/2 back in....give me .10 or .25cc only. It won't make a big change but, enough to get you going in the right direction again and see how it goes?

I do wish you the best with your battle...I know all too well how that goes. At least you're recognizing it while it's 1 month along hon......do something about it for YOU before it turns into a year because I know all too well how quickly that year snuck up on me. You really can do this and you've done so well. Figure this...It took us a lifetime to get where we were prior to surgery right....so should we really expect to be at our goals in less than a 1/4 of that time? AS my nutrionist told me as I was apologizing and beating myself up....this isn't a race....the tell us upfront 2 years is average for most people to be able to lose 50% of their excess weight and some people don't lose all that..some lose more up to 70% and a rare few actually loose all the excess weight. As she says...it's a tool and where would you be today if you hadn't made that choice for yourself. I can tell you Diane...for me I would be well over 300 pounds by now and that scares the chit out of me and makes me realize that yeah I may of had a year of not loss but, at least I didn't get bigger!

Love ya!

Hi Everyone,

Gee sounds like so many of us could use some prayers. You ALL are in mine :(

We're going to have to put our dog down in a few days, she is all swollen and the cancer is really taking its toll on her. I am just so tired of crying, I feel like crap.

Work is work... they had a big layoff friday (I was off friday) so who know's if I'll have a job come monday morning *shrug*

Nothing ele is new.... sosdd.

Love you guys :grouphug:

Things here, continue to be an unfolding drama, with no answers, and questions out the yin yang!

Manda now has lymph glands throughout her body swollen---visibly swollen. She hurts to put her arms down, from the ones under her arm, the ones in her groin limit the ways in which she can sit. But the Dr. insists it is strep throat, even though the glands in her neck are several times the normal size, her throat does not hurt!

Dr. just seems to dismiss it. Due to the swelling, she lost feeling in her arms....some prednisone, and she can feel her arms again, but it is not a cure! It is not a diagnosis.

She sees the cardio Dr.'s on Tuesday---hoping they can shed some light.

Right now, most seem to be leaning towards this all being a flare of rheumatoid arthritis....she has actually been referred to a rheumatologist---that is where her new blood work up will go. If we knew what it was, we could deal with it.

She spent all those hours in ER the other morning, and they told her her white count was slightly elevated----nothing more. Then yesterday she got a call from the hospital, that her Iron and B12 was EXTREMELY low----but yet no one mentioned it nor do they have a suggestion, only mention it to your Dr!

She is hurting, and scared, and getting angry that no one wants to take her seriously. I mean you might be able to say my joints hurt, and no one can see them. But these lymph glands are very visible----but they still seem to act like it is not worrisome.

Anyway....hoping for some help on Tuesday.

I helped a friend and we had a yard sale the last couple of days. Made a few hundred bucks, and cleaned out some closets, and cupboards......but wore me out, so I am heading off to bed.

Will check in with everyone tomorrow. No one has failed. There are times we become complacent, but I believe that is normal---we have lives that extend beyond this weight loss endeavor---and there are times those things need our attention, and we need our focus to be on something else. You have the ability to get back on the horse....and you will, of that I have no doubt. Try not to take each day so serious----it is not a race, and ruining today thinking about it, and stressing over it---does nothing but make you ruin a good day.

I always say, I really DO want to get to a point of being thin, but I am NOT willing to give up today, hoping to be there tomorrow. Tomorrow is not a given....so dieting like mad and making goal is fine for some people----but the way MY luck runs, the day I hit goal, I would also get hit by a truck or something, and not only would I have ruined the goal day, but every day before it for 6 months as I made myself miserable denying myself food, and forcing myself to exercise more than I tend to do!!!

We will get there.....and get to spend time with supportive, loving souls here on the way!!!

Kat

Kat so sorry your daughter is going through all this. I do hope they figure out what's going on and soon! She's in my prayers and I do hope she's feeling better soon. Very good way to put the diet/band thing in perspective...thank you for that. Kat you have done so well with your weightloss you really have. You must be so excited about your up and coming TT...oh you're one hot mama already and to think when that extra skin gets taken away how much better you'll be feeling about that. WAhoo for you!

Eileen - Sorry to hear you have to put your pet down :huh2: It's actually very thoughtful of you and your family to do that for your pet if she's suffering and not doing well. So many folks let their pets suffer too long because they don't want to see them go. It's a hard decision, one I may face myself someday...I hope it all goes well for you and we're here if ya need a shoulder to lean on.

Pat - Hope you're doing ok.

Diane/Signgirl- Hope you're feeling better about you plateau and have been able to kick things back into gear. I'm going back to using my bodybugg Monday and I bought a new Biggest Loser DVD to try so my goal is to put that in tomorrow and give it a whirl. I know it's me...not my band...I need to move my butt to burn the cals.

Betty - How the heck are things? have you been out riding your motorcycle? I went on the road with my bike yesterday...drove about 3 miles and came back because I was freezin! Ended up on the back of DH's bike cause he blocks alot of wind hahaha. We need to put a windshield on my bike...my mom got me one last year when I got the other bike and we let my friend borrow it. Time to get it back and put it on this bike. Hope all is going well for you!

Jessica - How are things going for you? You're doing great with your weightloss and you mini goals!

Mandy - How are you healing up? Knee surgery I hear is one of the worse dang ones to heal up from..slow and steady wins the race on that one I'm sure. I hope you're feeling better.

Ivan - How the heck are ya! If I'm recalling correctly wasn't your wife getting the band the last time you were on here? Might just be my brain though so straighten me out if I"m thinking wrong. How are you both doing?

We have some new folks and I welcome ya'll. I can only get back so dang far with this posting thing so I can get your names to personalize but, I do hope you're doing well.

Cindy - Have we lost you to your retirement not really retirement? lol You've got to be the busiest retired person I know hee hee. I hope things are going well for you and they're not too crazy.

Darcy - No clue if you're able to peek in or not...but I miss ya!

Patty - your computer still broken? Hows the gym job going? Man....talk about motivational place to work!

Ok so I'm probably forgetting someone...sorry about that. My memory isn't that great lately lol...getting old I guess or just plain so braindead from working so much. This vacation week has been very pleasant but, unfortunately all good things come to an end and today is my last day. Man one week goes by so freaking fast! I really could of used another week. Didn't accomplish nearly as much as I was hoping but, that's ok too...at least I'm rested. Today just trying to figure out what I can cook for dinner that's different. I'm so tired of eating the same things too boot I have to make sure it's super moist and tender to eat because of the fill this week. It's so freaking weird how finicky this band can be. The day of and couple days after I did all I could to just get some Water down and a few spoonfulls of something soft...TOM is here for a visit which usually causes me to get even tighter but, instead yesterday and so far today I'M STARVING and could eat a horse. UGH. Too boot yesterday my band was allowing quite a bit in my mind for just having a fill. I swear this thing is able to flip up and down and when it's up I can't eat when it's down I can eat more .......wish there were an easy way to know if that's what this thing does ya know? Do you folks go through that...one day can barely eat the next day you can eat more than you want to? I'm sure some of you have this.......fill me in on what you do :w00t:

It's cloudy and going to sprinkle around here today. I had a perfect weeks vacation..sunny...warm....today the last day is rainy hmmm whats the Earth trying to tell me hahahahah.

What's for supper people? Tell me something new! I'm sooooo bored with the "usual" foods yuck.

Good Morning Y'all!

We made it back from our trip to Mexico, and I am already to go back again. It was so beautiful more than I even dreamed it could be.

The wedding was so beautiful, it was a fairy tale wedding from the cinderella dress to the horse and carriage.

This place was so beautiful, expensive but so over the expectations of it all.

The last day we were there we went to a different place as we didn't have the extra day reservations at this place. It was really nice too.

I have a lot to catch up on, and I will try to post a few pictures later.

Hugs to you all!

Glad you are back, and that your trip was so wonderful Betty--missed you!

Sherry--is the reflux improving at all? I loved seeing your post, I miss them!! Manda is the same today, which in itself is a relief, it almost seems like everytime she goes to bed something new crops up--but she is hanging in there. Poor thing looks so miserable, so swollen.

I am anxious to get my TT done, I feel like it will make a difference in my life. Improving the things I can do---the flapping sagging skin and fat impede movement now in things like riding a bike....but also in a mental way. Now in public, I am constantly pulling at my shirts to make sure the big ol' belly is covered. I stand strategically behind things....it is always on my mind. When I was big all over, it was big too so not noticable in a stand out way. Now it is deforming looking-------and if you think I am exagerating it--ask my MIL--she was the one who put the words in my mouth!!! She does so much for my emotional state!! LOL

Today we will eat a late lunch/early dinner. Rick went in so some of the guys who are in the middle of projects needed for the work week could finish up, so he is not due home for another half an hour or so....so we will eat about 3:30.....I plan on letting him grill chicken!!! BBQ it, I have a large left over baked potato, I am going to dice it, and cook it, have some baked Beans, and some stuffed jalapenos. Not a very creative meal, but I am using up some things left over in the fridge, I am seriously trying to cut down on the amount of food we waste. It is pretty pathetic! I need to learn to cook less, and do this and use what is left over.....I could have grilled the chicken and given his stuffed jalapenos and forgot the rest and Rick would have been happy!!! Men!

Well, I better get busy----I had plumbing problems all morning, of course while Rick was at work, so I liquid Plumbered it, and need to go pour some boiling Water down the sink--see if it worked! Wish me luck!

Talk to ya later!

Kat

Sherry, thank you so much for your post, in reply to mine. I really appreciate you sharing how things are for you now that you are two years out....and here I am at only 6 months out.

It's so great to be able to share this feelings about the lap band here. I know that there are a great many things that far surpass being concerned about what goes on with my band and me....fact is, surgery was a drastic way to go about addressing my weight problem and I am glad that there is Lap Band Talk available to help with "band" issue concerns.

It's twice as nice to have a forum like this and have great people like you folks, to help the newbies like me!!! Thank you so much.

Betty's back!!!!!! So glad you had a fantastic time! everything must have been sooooo gorgeous!! Those memories will keep you smilin', every time you think about it, for years to come! Glad everything went well and that you're safely home again. (it probably all seemed to fly by to quickly though, huh?)

Kat, I continue to include Manda in my prayers, Although I don't know everything that she's going through, I hope God provides all the strength she needs to deal with everything she needs to, during this difficult time.

Jessica, you still in Cali?

DH and me are still in DC. We leave tomorrow. Saturday was hot and sunny. Today was about twenty degrees cooler and misty, and we still had a good time! Every time my knee hurt going up steps or just over-exerting in general, I was thinking of you Mandy and hoping you are getting around OK now. I had a torn ACL years ago. repaired with stapling what was left of the torn ligament, to the bone. Then years later, the medical community reports that "that doesn't work" (no kidding!!). Hope your doing better.

Big hugsgo out to you Eileen. I remember looking at the pictures of your beautiful girl, lying in the snow...tired after just a little activity. She looked so sweet. You helped me with your kind words when we made the tough decision to put our beloved german shepherd, Heidi, to eternal rest. That was only three months ago. Your old girl is a special beauty, and I know how hard this time is for you. I'm sending out BIG HUGS to you as you move through this time.

Well, DH could use some company in this hotel room with me....instead of hanging around listening to me bang on these keys!!!!

TTYL :lol: