Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for some advice and reassurance. I have been lurking through the site and I want to understand if TLBC a good place to have the lap band done? Is there a good support network -. i.e fill nurses, nutrition, etc? I was reading about nurse Nancy and her not being very supportive or sympathetic. Is Dr. Yau approachable - I have only had a consultation with Kathy - she seemed quite nice, but generally speaking I like to meet the person who is going to be working on me before the actual day.

I was also reading a fair amount about emergent situations and that going to emergency is generally a waste of time as Dr's don't know the first thing about it. I live in Ajax so its not like I am having to fly across the country.

I am quite nervous and scared any reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Knowing what your experiences were like would be great!

I really want to have this done but am a tad terrified.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated!

Looking for some advice and reassurance. I have been lurking through the site and I want to understand if TLBC a good place to have the lap band done? Is there a good support network -. i.e fill nurses, nutrition, etc? I was reading about nurse Nancy and her not being very supportive or sympathetic. Is Dr. Yau approachable - I have only had a consultation with Kathy - she seemed quite nice, but generally speaking I like to meet the person who is going to be working on me before the actual day.

I was also reading a fair amount about emergent situations and that going to emergency is generally a waste of time as Dr's don't know the first thing about it. I live in Ajax so its not like I am having to fly across the country.

I am quite nervous and scared any reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Knowing what your experiences were like would be great!

I love TLBC and I wouldn't go anywhere else. I had a problem with Nancy not returning a call, but Kathy and Chris Henderson took care of it. I think part of the problem is no one told anyone at TLBC they had some issues with Nancy and if no one tells the clinic she is short with them or not returning calls how do they know?

Patrick Yau is very approachable, ask to meet him pre surgery phone Kathy and take care of it.

The advantages of TLBC to me, closer to you TO vs Mississauga, if you need to see Patrick he has another office in Scarborough too. Dr Yau has been doing bands longer and done more bands than any other surgeon in Canada. But the big advantages to TLBC is their post op no one has a post op like they do. They have seminars, they have nutritionist on staff, they have Dr Simon on staff, they offer online and phone seminars, they also have a ton of other events specific just to their clients. Online forums etc. But one of the huge advantages to me is that they have a large number of banded staff who understand being overweight and the challenges of the band in a way that non banded people will never understand.

Go with where you are comfy, make consults and ask lots of questions, do not make a decision till you are ready and are sure you are happy with the answers.

Good luck

Heather

I've been very happy with my experience at TLBC and would recommend it to anyone. I didn't know others have had issues with Nancy. I find her extremely efficient (fills are quick and painless) and she has always been accessible.

Good for you for doing such good research before your surgery.

Regarding going to emerg - you will be given a private number to call if you have an emergency band related issue. This has never happened to me, but I have heard that others have found the clinic to be very responsive to any emergency situations.

I've only heard good things about the other clinic in Mississauga, so you have two excellent options available to you. I chose TLBC because its location is very close to me.

Hi:

I love TLBC. I personally never had any issues with Nancy and always found her pleasant and helpful. I understand your feelings since that was me 9 months ago but I can tell you you won't get a better support base anywhere else!

Best of luck.

Thanks everyone! I have booked with Dr. Yau at 10:00 a.m. on April 24th, I get my package tommorrow...with pre-op instructions and the pre-op diet...still really nervouse but its great to see such an awesome network on here!

I too recommend the TLBC. They are a great clinic for not only the banding but for support as well if you live in Ont. They are working on the support for long distance patients. As for the ER rooms, there is definately some doctors that have less than good PR when it comes to banders. I think the fact they are not trained in the simple procedure of removing saline is the major reason. I believe in our province the band is not recognized by the Medical Authorities so no training is given. In any event, the TLBC is a great choice. Doddie

I researched and researched and researched - the procedure, the tool, the company making the band, the complication rates, the clinics and the Drs. I lurked on this website and went to information sessions. As a self-payer, and someone with health experience, I wanted to be as sure as I could be. After all that, I booked with TLBC and have only 1 regret... ...should have done it a LOT sooner!!!! :smile:

The surgical experience was simple - but then again, as someone who has had lots of surgery, in my past I was prepared. A 'meet and greet' with the surgical nurse, the anaesthetist, and Dr Yau, then a walk to the OR suite, lay on the table, let the anaesthetist insert the iv on the back of my hand, had that so-familiar-but-horrible onion taste in the back of my throat, and woke up in recovery. From check-in to walking out (assisted by DH) took 4 hours in total.

Good luck:thumbup:

I chose TLBC and am happy for the choice. Dr. Yau is great and if you need to speak to him you can get him.

I have had some concerns with Nancy's tone but to be honest it seems more like her phone manner than anything. On the phone I 've found she can be abrupt and seem unsupportive (at times beyond unsupportive) but in person she has been different. She's calmed any concerns I've had andswered any questions and is extremely efficient with fills. I think it could just be a phone thing... so far. ;-)

Nancy's PR may be a problem to some (me) but I still have unshakeable faith in TLBC. They are trying very hard to set up support for long distance people and I understand with their new CEO, Jill and he CEO will be venturing out to other areas to talk to long distance patients. I have huge respect for Dr. Yau and Jill. Since I put my concerns in writing, Jill has been contacting me monthly to help me sort out any problems. I understand I am not the only long distance patient she telephones. Just the contact with the clinic, keeps me connected to the clinic. I don't think they could do much more for me. Doddie

I've just come back from a fill with Nancy at TLBC. She got in quick and painlessly, even though this was the first time since my port was moved. She has always been very pleasant with me. The clinic is great, Dr. Yau is experienced and skilled, and the rest of the staff is delightful and supportive. Rest assured, you will be happy with either TLBC or SWLC. I personally am very pleased with my experience with Dr. Yau and the TLBC.

Have no fear, they look after their patients.

I had my band in Mid July, had complications with my band holding fills....

Dr. Yau re-did my surgery Mar 28th, and now I am on my way again...

They do all fills for life, and aftercare is bar none.

I am from Thunder Bay and love the staff at TLBC, I only wish that I could attend a support meeting or any of the great things that they have there.

Best of luck on April 24, I will be there that day for a fill

I chose TLBC and am happy for the choice. Dr. Yau is great and if you need to speak to him you can get him.

I have had some concerns with Nancy's tone but to be honest it seems more like her phone manner than anything. On the phone I 've found she can be abrupt and seem unsupportive (at times beyond unsupportive) but in person she has been different. She's calmed any concerns I've had andswered any questions and is extremely efficient with fills. I think it could just be a phone thing... so far. ;-)

So I just got in from visiting TLBC for a teeny fill and just want to reiterate that the staff there is wonderful for answering questions, offering support and looking after their patients. Once again I have more evidence that any concerns I get when I speak to Nancy on the phone are totally the opposite of her in person. Friendly and efficient and ready with answers and suggestions and advice.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth having experienced an emergency and received excellent care from Dr Yau and his staff. The clinic certainly has lots of follow up care to ensure your success... be sure to use it.

I was banded in Aug 06 and the clinic has gone thru lots of changes since then but all great ones. The staff are wonderful and friendly as I'm sure you're now aware. Be sure to let them know if you experience anything that is out of the ordinary - and because you are new to the feelings ask what it should feel like. They all care. And don't just rely on the website and advice of fellow lapbanders. CALL the clinic.

I lost my weight quickly - I dropped from 245 to 102 in less than a year. I think because of the rapid loss and added stress (my youngest son spent 2 weeks at emergency for a serious bladder problems) didn't help the band and it tightened. Being new (and stressed) I didn't realize that it was too restrictive until the PV was daily and I couldn't keep anything down. I asked Nancy for had a total defill (except for 1 cc to keep the band in place). I felt better for a few weeks. But I still continued to lose.

My GP had been treating me for anorexia - you can imagine that at 102lbs I was very thin. So she missed my assurances that I was eating and that I didn't think I was "fat". I went to a phyciatrist (excuse the spelling) who said that I didn't have a "weight" issue and proposed that I have a gastric x-ray to determine if it was a problem with the band (yeah Duh!). I should have called the clinic to discuss this but I went back to my GP.... yep! So you know what happened.

Suffice to say Dr Yau saw me in Emergency at the Scarborough grace (I weighted less than 90lbs) severely dehydrated and vomiting even Water. After ordering the x-ray -he quickly assessed the problem booked an OR to remove the band. Because I was too weak for the surgery (dangerously low PB) surgery was delayed. Dr Yau removed it the next day after my PB was stabilized. I was home by Christmas eve. I'm sure he had to delay his holidays to care for me. Are there many surgeons like that - ?? I don't think so.

It's been a rough journey to regain - I never thought I'd hear myself say those words. But coming back from such a dangerously low weight to a healthy weight was hard. In my mind I still had the band and although the vomiting stopped I didn't want to eat all the things I had given up - my danger foods - the past year.

I miss my band. I had such great success with it and I would do it again in a heart beat. The staff have remained concerned for my health even though I feel as though without the band I'm no longer their responsibility. I feel lost. I've maintained a healthy weight of 135-140 and although I struggle I know I never want to be big again. I've gained knowledge and I'm a success.

I pray that all of you will have the success of weight loss and the joys of staying banded and using your tool for many years to come.

Good luck on your journey. And have faith in whatever clinic you choose.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth having experienced an emergency and received excellent care from Dr Yau and his staff. The clinic certainly has lots of follow up care to ensure your success... be sure to use it.

I was banded in Aug 06 and the clinic has gone thru lots of changes since then but all great ones. The staff are wonderful and friendly as I'm sure you're now aware. Be sure to let them know if you experience anything that is out of the ordinary - and because you are new to the feelings ask what it should feel like. They all care. And don't just rely on the website and advice of fellow lapbanders. CALL the clinic.

I lost my weight quickly - I dropped from 245 to 102 in less than a year. I think because of the rapid loss and added stress (my youngest son spent 2 weeks at emergency for a serious bladder problems) didn't help the band and it tightened. Being new (and stressed) I didn't realize that it was too restrictive until the PV was daily and I couldn't keep anything down. I asked Nancy for had a total defill (except for 1 cc to keep the band in place). I felt better for a few weeks. But I still continued to lose.

My GP had been treating me for anorexia - you can imagine that at 102lbs I was very thin. So she missed my assurances that I was eating and that I didn't think I was "fat". I went to a phyciatrist (excuse the spelling) who said that I didn't have a "weight" issue and proposed that I have a gastric x-ray to determine if it was a problem with the band (yeah Duh!). I should have called the clinic to discuss this but I went back to my GP.... yep! So you know what happened.

Suffice to say Dr Yau saw me in Emergency at the Scarborough grace (I weighted less than 90lbs) severely dehydrated and vomiting even Water. After ordering the x-ray -he quickly assessed the problem booked an OR to remove the band. Because I was too weak for the surgery (dangerously low PB) surgery was delayed. Dr Yau removed it the next day after my PB was stabilized. I was home by Christmas eve. I'm sure he had to delay his holidays to care for me. Are there many surgeons like that - ?? I don't think so.

It's been a rough journey to regain - I never thought I'd hear myself say those words. But coming back from such a dangerously low weight to a healthy weight was hard. In my mind I still had the band and although the vomiting stopped I didn't want to eat all the things I had given up - my danger foods - the past year.

I miss my band. I had such great success with it and I would do it again in a heart beat. The staff have remained concerned for my health even though I feel as though without the band I'm no longer their responsibility. I feel lost. I've maintained a healthy weight of 135-140 and although I struggle I know I never want to be big again. I've gained knowledge and I'm a success.

I pray that all of you will have the success of weight loss and the joys of staying banded and using your tool for many years to come.

Good luck on your journey. And have faith in whatever clinic you choose.

Bear,

What a journey you have had, and you are right Dr Yau is an incredibly caring surgeon as are his staff. I am a walking complication so I know Dr Yau pretty well after a few surgeries.

I am glad to hear you are maintaining and working on your health. Keep up the work you are putting in and keep yourself healthy

Heather