Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarians...

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Is anyone here a vegetarian? I am (hopefully) being banded next month and am nervous about the 1st few days. My doctor has a few "rules" about what you have to do before you leave the hospital and drinking chicken broth is on that list. I haven't told him that I don't eat meat so I'm scared we will battle it out in the hospital. I did buy some vegetable broth and have unflvored powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to add to it for when I get home. Any suggestions?

Also any high Protein post-surgical suggestions would be great. I do eat seafood and eggs, and I have already stocked up on protein Water and Unjury.< /p>

Thanks!

-Stacey

Also any high Protein post-surgical suggestions would be great. I do eat seafood and eggs, and I have already stocked up on Protein Water and unjury.

Thanks!

-Stacey

lol a vegan that eats seafood and eggs, interesting. I think wth certain fish you will have a easy time with protein. If not, maybe pinto Beans?

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Is anyone here a vegetarian? I am (hopefully) being banded next month and am nervous about the 1st few days. My doctor has a few "rules" about what you have to do before you leave the hospital and drinking chicken broth is on that list. I haven't told him that I don't eat meat so I'm scared we will battle it out in the hospital. I did buy some vegetable broth and have unflvored unjury to add to it for when I get home. Any suggestions?

Also any high Protein post-surgical suggestions would be great. I do eat seafood and eggs, and I have already stocked up on Protein Water and Unjury.< /p>

Thanks!

-Stacey

Hi Stacey,

I don't know that I will be a great deal of help regarding post op foods, (because I became Veggie at about 6 months post op) but I wanted to let you know that there are plenty of Veggies on the board (we are around).

As a Semi-Vegetarian you will have an easier time finding protein than Vegans or Vegetarians because you eat fish.

Best of luck to you.

lol a vegan that eats seafood and eggs, interesting. I think wth certain fish you will have a easy time with Protein. If not, maybe pinto Beans?

Stacey didn't say she was vegan, she said she is vegetarian. They are not one in the same.

I used to be vegetarian but never could go all the way to veganism. I like cheese too much, it's a weakness.

I dated a guy who was a vegan - man, I had no idea how many things we sort of take for granted that they don't touch. E.g. I tried to put Skittles in his easter basket one year. (BTW to no one in particular, eggs are considered "modern" vegetarian, fish is not).

But anyway -- since you eat fish, which is very high in Protein and lean, I don't think you'll have much troubles. Nori is fairly high in Protein, legumes, etc.

Why not just tell your surgeon you don't eat some meats including chicken, and ask him to replace it with vegetable broth or something?

I actually never said I was vegan or vegetarian, I am a pescetarian. I don't eat land animals. I'm nervous about telling my surgeon because they talked Protein Protein protein SO much in my nutrition class. I'm afraid I can't convince him that I will get my protein in, without the help of animals.

I did finally get a surgery date though, 4/16 and I go back to see my dr. on the 11th, I guess I'll talk to him then.

Fish is one of the Protein sources they're likely to recommend above others. A full tilapia filet will have ~20gm, depending on the size, will be lean, will have lots of other goodies in it, etc. That's pretty unbeatable. I don't eat red meat and it never even came up with my surgeon. we do have banded vegans, and if they can do it without fish, there's no reason you can't with. best of luck.

I actually never said I was vegan or vegetarian, I am a pescetarian. I don't eat land animals. I'm nervous about telling my surgeon because they talked Protein Protein protein SO much in my nutrition class. I'm afraid I can't convince him that I will get my protein in, without the help of animals.

I did finally get a surgery date though, 4/16 and I go back to see my dr. on the 11th, I guess I'll talk to him then.

Well by the title I thought you meant you were a vegan. But FYI, Person who practices "SEMI-Vegatarism" Which is what you do is still by definition considered a vegetarian. Sorry, I didn't mean anything by my earlier comment.

Anyhow, even though I am not banded yet I can still tell you shouldn't have any problems getting your Proteins.

Here's a link to a small site to look up high protein veggies. But if you eat fish alot then you will be fine.

Protein in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

:teeth_smile:

StacyM, I am like you. I don't eat meat but I do eat seafood. "Amy's" brand is great for Soup. I they have lots of vegetarian ones like I just found one called "No meat chicken Noodle Soup". I haven't tried it yet but all of the ones I have tried are wonderful. They have it at trader joes and also safeway and fred meyer in the organic section. I am still doing my 6 month diet but will stock up on that one for my pre and post op diets.

Don't be scared of telling your surgeon that you don't eat meat. I told mine and was surprised to find out he and his whole family were vegetarians. So it can really benefit you because they will be able to tell you what you should be doing to get all of your Protein in for those first few weeks. You might also try a nutritionist. They can give you a specialized diet just for you.

Good Luck!

Chickie & others who are Vegetarians - Do you have some URL's for food choices / menus / recipes? ? I"ve been online this afternoon after spending a bunch of $$ :thumbup:, and time at the health store today for tofu / legumes etc. and have hit upon circles of dialogue vs food choices & how to prepare.

My interest isn't to become a Vegetarian - but get a better balance of Protein - and those that don't come from animals.

I do love a steak every now and then - chicken & fish too...I just can't do chicken or tuna every other day - I'm quite bored.

That and well I run a ranch....And I see my Longhorns as pets - not something smothered in bernaise' sauce....So I'm evolving I guess:smile:

Thanks in advance,

Lulu

Thank you so much Shell, I will search online for that Soup. Unfortunately I live in WV and we don't have ANY of the stores you mentioned. I do go to Trader Joes's whenever I visit Ohio but that's like 4 hours away.

Hi Stacey! I was banded on 3/17 and the first week I was all about the veggie broth - with salt and pepper it was the best! If you don't like store-bought kinds, it's pretty easy to make your own vegetable stock. I also bought a giant jug of apple juice and if you're worried about Protein, Isopure makes these 40g of clear Protein drinks that come in glass bottles. You can get them at GNC. You've got a lot of options when you start with mushies. Refried Beans, silken tofu, hummus, eggs, cottage cheese, possibly tuna/tuna salad.

Right after my surgeon made me do a swallow test with barium and then apple juice. Maybe your surgeon will let you do juice instead? It seems silly that he'd make you drink chicken broth. Anyway, best of luck to you!

I am so glad I found other veggie people ( to include all non meat eating categories ) on here!!!! I hopefully will be banded sometime this month, I will get my surgery date this Friday!!! :huh2: "Vegan Planet" by Robin Robertson has tons of recipes!!

Are there any groups for veggie people?? Good luck to everyone!!

Kristi :lol:

Hi Stacey, I am 3 weeks post-op and 8 years ovo-lacto vegetarian. My favorite veg-friendly Protein shake is VHP (very high protein), you can find it at Bariatrix.com. It is 35 grams of Protein so you are halfway to your daily goal with just one shake. I also mix powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury with lowfat chocolate milk at night. Both brands are Gelatin free. As for non-shake meals, I just added in creamy Soups that I buy at Whole Foods, and I love the Campbell gold label Tomato basil Soup that comes in a carton, you should be able to find that in any grocery store. Just watch out for the Soups that sneak in the chicken broth!

As for your hospital tray, tell the nurses to note your chart that you are veg and also ask the dietary person who delivers the tray what kind of broth they brought. All hospital will have veg broth so you should be ok. Of course, you can't have the Jello that will also be brought on the tray but I hear that there are Kosher markets that carry gelatin-free Gelatin. You can also eat smooth yogurt and the better brands are getting better about excluding gelatin.

Hope this helps, good luck!

No worries.

There are plenty of other sources for protiens. Beans/lentels/soya. I'm doing some adjustments in my protien intake because I haven't eaten many eggs or much cheese in the 12 weeks since I was banded.