Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hi Chloe! I just completed my search for a surgeon and went thru the referral process:

First of all, I have an HMO. My PCP is always hounding me about the weight, but never mentioned Banding.

So, I too got sick of the cycle ..gain ..lose..gain more. Hungry all the time, and went online to find out more.

I found the Info Sessions for 3 centers here in the Boston and over the past 2 months. I also watched the Brigh's video online of the procedure being done.

I felt that particular center was for me.

I then went online to see what facilities were accepted by my HMO and found that they were all on the Centers of Excellence list.

Then I gave my insurance a call to see if the procedure was completely covered.

Then I called the Brigh and set up an initial consult with Dr Robinson.

Finally I called my PCP and requested a referral which was not faxed until 2 days before the appt.(the girl in referrals does things last minute and it drives me nuts). I did not have to even speak to my PCP, but the request just went through the referral dept.

Now I am on my way...lose 10 lbs and then return to Dr Robinson..

Edited by singingintherain

ok, I went to the primary care to have an EKG and everything looked normal so she faxed over the results and gave me the all clear to have surgery, so everything is all set! I'm leaving the house at 4:45 and am scheduled for surgery at 7:30. You would have thought I would have packed by now, but of course not. So I'll get on that soon.

This all seems like it took forever to get here and now that it's here I keep thinking "where did the time go?"

Thank you all for your support and well wishes, I will check in when I get back home!

GREAT NEWS!

Good thoughts and a special prayer as you go in tomorrow. I wish it were my turn!

Hey..no need to pack for a trip to the Bahamas..everything you'll need will be there.... even down to slippers, a toothbrush and comb essentials. Wear home what you arrived in!

Jay, Good Luck tomorrow morning!!!

sigh :laugh:

I saw Dr. Robinson yesterday morning, and as my luck would have it, my Water fluctuation was at a high point and all he saw was not much weight loss... He asked me if I had a diet that worked in the past, since if I am not losing on the pre-op I need to see the nutritionist and go on the diet that worked (vegan). So he scheduled me for a month out to come in for weight check and as soon as I lose 7.5 lbs. I can be scheduled for surgery... and of course, this morning, and this evening, my weight is down 6 lbs from when I was weighed at the clinic!!! I plan to be very strict for two weeks, no days off, then I will demand to be weighed in at their office and scheduled that day... well, not demand, but insist at least! :crying:

I have to admit I was pretty depressed when I left his office... I was like, I am hungry right now and the first big mac I see, I am eating it... but I did not, I prevailed. I am not taking a day or so off on the weekend from the pre-op diet. It is easy to follow and I know what to expect. I also discovered I am wicked lactose intolerant with all those Carnation Instant Breakfasts... and since I really stocked up on the variety packs, and ordered a case of vanilla on line, well, I am stuck with lactose free organic 1% milk and a lot of lact-aid fast act.

I have been exploring some other Protein shakes, mostly at Whole Foods. Online I bought an organic non-GMO Brown Rice Protein, and a Peanut Butter powder (made from peanuts that have the oils pressed out of them) and two bottles of Hersheys sugar free strawberry syrup... One of the shakes at Whole Foods that had a single serving packet to try was a berry blend called Vega which I think I will buy and sub it in perhaps at noon instead of the milk based CIB.

Has anyone out there experimented with any of the array of Protein Shakes out there? I am diabetic and lactose intolerant, and I kind of have a similar gassy intolerance of soy milk, so I am trying to find shakes that have none of the aforementioned ingredients. My understanding is that whey is tolerated by most people who are lactose intolerant.

Edited by ibelieve

Jay, Good Luck tomorrow morning!!!

sigh :crying:

I saw Dr. Robinson yesterday morning, and as my luck would have it, my Water fluctuation was at a high point and all he saw was not much weight loss... He asked me if I had a diet that worked in the past, since if I am not losing on the pre-op I need to see the nutritionist and go on the diet that worked (vegan). So he scheduled me for a month out to come in for weight check and as soon as I lose 7.5 lbs. I can be scheduled for surgery... and of course, this morning, and this evening, my weight is down 6 lbs from when I was weighed at the clinic!!! I plan to be very strict for two weeks, no days off, then I will demand to be weighed in at their office and scheduled that day... well, not demand, but insist at least! :biggrin:

I have to admit I was pretty depressed when I left his office... I was like, I am hungry right now and the first big mac I see, I am eating it... but I did not, I prevailed. I am not taking a day or so off on the weekend from the pre-op diet. It is easy to follow and I know what to expect. I also discovered I am wicked lactose intolerant with all those Carnation Instant Breakfasts... and since I really stocked up on the variety packs, and ordered a case of vanilla on line, well, I am stuck with lactose free organic 1% milk and a lot of lact-aid fast act.

I have been exploring some other Protein shakes, mostly at Whole Foods. Online I bought an organic non-GMO Brown Rice Protein, and a Peanut Butter powder (made from peanuts that have the oils pressed out of them) and two bottles of Hersheys sugar free strawberry syrup... One of the shakes at Whole Foods that had a single serving packet to try was a berry blend called Vega which I think I will buy and sub it in perhaps at noon instead of the milk based CIB.

Has anyone out there experimented with any of the array of Protein Shakes out there? I am diabetic and lactose intolerant, and I kind of have a similar gassy intolerance of soy milk, so I am trying to find shakes that have none of the aforementioned ingredients. My understanding is that whey is tolerated by most people who are lactose intolerant.

Ok, so this definitely isn't the most medically sound advice, but if you're retaining Water that much, shouldn't you just take a diuretic and or a laxative the night before and not eat or drink anything before weighing in?? I'd make an early morning appt. and then eat after. They didn't weigh me in before surgery once I was scheduled!!

Jay, good luck! Hope it all goes well. :frown:

ibelieve: Slim Fast makes an easy to digest ready to drink Protein shake. Its a bit hard to find (look in Stop and Shop and CVS). And yes I heard whey was okay for those who are lactose intolerant bc of the way its processed. So most Protein powers should be okay its what you mix it with that could be the problem. And you are correct Carnation Instant has powered milk in it. I found that out after surgery when I had temporary intolerance.

The same thing happened to me., I gained over a long weekend and when I had my pre-op I was up in lbs. So all it did was push me back a bit bc I had to come back again and prove that I could lose. And I did bc it was all just Water retention and it came right off. It was really fat or anything. Yes I was disappointed but I KNEW it would come right off.

Also I finally broke down and bought a digital scale, and in the course of the day I gain at least 4lbs. Not sure what to do with that information. What do I consider my true weight????

Anyhoo I guess I was expected to hear from Jay. I hope it went well for him.

Chloeglowy:as mentioned before you should first attend an information session. Most of your questions will be answered there PLUS its a requirement if you want to pursue the surgery

FYI.... folks the next support meeting is next, TUESDAY FEB 17TH

Ok, so this definitely isn't the most medically sound advice, but if you're retaining Water that much, shouldn't you just take a diuretic and or a laxative the night before and not eat or drink anything before weighing in?? I'd make an early morning appt. and then eat after. They didn't weigh me in before surgery once I was scheduled!!

Jay, good luck! Hope it all goes well. :)

Hi Luv2Teach! That is something I sort of thought of... but I talked to Dr. R. secretary today and she said I should get weighed at my PCP to have them document, rather than try to get in to their clinic to be weighed weekly - I was weighed around 8 a.m. in Dr. R's office Tuesday... Right now I am holding steady around 7-8 lbs. lower than what I weighed Tuesday a.m. (both the morning and afternoon - fully clothed in the afternoon). So I will stop in my PCP tomorrow to be weighed.

Since the clinic is across the street from my office, I will keep going in and seeing my PCP's nurses until I am 7.5 lbs down from Tuesday's weight, officially. Then I will send an email to Dr. R and my PCP so I can get scheduled ASAP. I really am ready for this emotionally and mentally, I want to get my new life started soon! I am going to stick to the pre-op diet and losing weight until I am scheduled and having surgery. I seem to be living quite well off my stores :thumbup: since I really am not feeling out of sorts from the diet (except for the wicked lactose intolerance that is now remedied)

I have been on the strict pre-op for over one month now, except this time I will not take a day or so off on a weekend after a full two weeks on it. This is no time for lollygagging on my part. No more mexican restaurants! (I blame the combo platter on Friday night for this weeks disappointing visit with Dr. R. He must have thought I am wicked weak-willed... o well LOL

I will see everyone soon I hope, on Tuesday at group!!!

Edited by ibelieve

Hi everyone. I am back home. Actually I was back home yesterday but apparently riding in a car took a lot out of me and I spent most of the night sleeping and then waking up sore, moving myself around and then sleeping some more. The highlight of today is going to be me trying to take a shower. I think it will make me feel better though.

Everything seemed to go fine, I barely used the morphine, haven't touched the liquid percocet they perscribed me (liquid tylenol seems to do fine). The hospital was ok, I liked having a private room but I seemed to be on a floor of loud people, so I kept my door closed most of the time. Dr. Robinson came to see me friday afternoon and he asked if I had any questions and at the time, i didn't. But now I have several. I don't know where my port is. I thought it went on the side, but i have two places it could be.. one is above my navel to the right and one is above my navel to the left. so they're both in the middle of my stomach. Not that I need to know where it is, but I would like to. Also, how long do I keep these bandages on before I can take them off?

No gas pain for me, at least not yet anyways, hopefully it stays away, and since both my big wounds are in the middle of my stomach I can lay on my side, which is much more comfortable to sleep on.

Everything seems to be going alright, but I can't seem to get enough liquid. I can usually get three carnation instant breakfasts (i'm supposed to have 5) and about 20 oz of clear liquid (i'm supposed to have 64.) Hopefully that's alright.

I can't think of anything else to say but thanks for the well wishes! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the meeting on tuesday!

Jay, Thank You for sharing your experience. Sometimes I get a little scared about what I am embarking on. Hearing from someone local who has recently gone through this is helpful for me! I hope to meet you on Tuesday!

Jay - in the beginning it is normal not to be able to get in all your shakes and liquid - dont push it. Eventually you will get it all, just make sure you are well hydrated.

You sound great - good luck to you

Tova

Support meeting is tomorrow Tuesday night at the Brigham - Sorry I wont be there - school vacation week and I am taking my daughter down to Philly for some sightseeing. Hope to see you all next month.

Have a great month

Tova

Who plans on attending the meeting tomorrow at the Brigham. I haven't decided yet, but I think it may be good for me, since I'm meeting Dr. Robinson next week for my first consultation. Do you have to pre-register or can you just show up? Thanks!