Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This thread is going to be sooo inappropriate!

Hey, if you have any unexpired Vitamin D or Omega fatty acids, send them to me!

I've had such a crappy diet the whole time I was banded that I'm making up for lost time. I have a LOT of joint pain, more than I should for my age. I'm using the vit D. If I can find any Omega fatty acids I'll send them.

In the meantime, if you want to try a quality Protein product or two, I'm happy to send them to you. Wayyyy better than that test tube crap you are consuming. ;o)

Isopuke, Matrix 5.0, EAS, and whey Gourmet have their raw materials tested by a 3rd party to ensure the quality of their Protein. Most companies do not do this and their protein quality varies from month to month.

I haven't had a bullet in over a month. Don't you remember ... they started making me nauseous!

Anyway, I have four tubs of Chike. It's a combination of whey and soy that seems to sit better in my tummy than the 100% whey. I don't really like the chocolate shakes though. I think it's hard to fake chocolate. :) I also do the Protein hot chocolate -- that one is okay for fake chocolate, probably because it's hot.

With the amount of real food I'm eating these days, it takes two shakes and 1 Protein cocoa to top up to over 100 g. some days. Today I only had 1 shake so that's good. I hate getting all my protein from the same source.

but Beth, that's the whole point of getting the DS - you dont HAVE to eat well ... heaven forbid they eat good healthy food... :frown:

Well, if you press them, they'll admit that if the loss starts slowing down or if they gain, then they cut out the carbs, like The Adkins Diet. Which is not a bad thing.......but it is a little different from the claim of some that "DS'ers can eat anything they want".

I know a few DSers who are not insane.

It's only a subset of DSers on OH who are whack jobs

I'm sure that the majority are normal, but man......the radical ones really give that group a bad name.

Radicals of any group usually do. lol

Don't the radicals speak for the majority?

If those who disagree do not speak up, the radicals speak for them. True?

Oprah is still a bloom'en idiot.

Don't the radicals speak for the majority?

If those who disagree do not speak up, the radicals speak for them. True?

It does seem to work out that way, true. lol

Oprah is still a bloom'en idiot.

Like watching a train wreck in slo-mo. Kinda fun. I ought to make some popcorn. :party:

The DSers discovered a new anti-stink product. I'm surprised they are all posting about their stink issues considering how many times they claim bathroom odor isn't an issue.

Interesting thread:

Sharing the poo smell with the neighbors

They discuss "Just A Drop," and a few other products.

You know.. honestly I think I would prefer obese vs. stink.

You know.. honestly I think I would prefer obese vs. stink.

But having stinky poos is an occasional thing. Being obese is full time.

But having stinky poos is an occasional thing. Being obese is full time.

Not really. There is one person on OH that is having a really hard time with a lot of issues. She is mortified because the stink was coming out through her skin. When a DS person farts the stench hangs on their clothes. There is a girl (I believe it was on OH, can't swear to it) that said she actually received written reprimands from her supervisor because of the smell. They thought she wasn't bathing. They moved her back to a desk in the back of the room because her coworkers were complaining about her odor. They finally fired her.

Other people have talked about how they build an extra bathroom on the house so the DS person can poop their little hearts out without bothering the rest of the family.

People have discussed all kinds of issues regarding odor. Suggestions for people in social settings, employment settings, etc.

Nope ... not me. No way do I want to take antibiotics for the rest of my life so I don't have to change my eating patterns yet still lose.

Oh, wow! That would be horrible to have to live with, I agree. I wonder why some people have so much more trouble with it than others? One more reason I'm very happy with my band.

Misty - it's because they continue to eat white carbs. It's mostly white carbs that cause the stink. For some people, taking flagyl every day is enough. For others, they just avoid white carbs. Others eat white carbs when know they won't be around people who care. Like in the evenings at home alone.

All surgeries have their pluses and minuses IMO and what is a minus for you, wouldn't be a minus for me or someone else.

For me, the dumping of RnY and not being able to eat white carbs with DS are deal-breakers. It's not that I want to eat sugar and white carbs in great quantities all the time. It's that these kinds of conditions are too variable for me.

My RnY friends talk about how they ate something one time and it was fine so they ate it again and this time they dumped. That kind of variability would drive me INSANE.

Plus I got WLS to have a normal life. That means once in a while having something with sugar in it or once in a while having white carbs. They aren't every day foods for me, but once in while I have them and enjoy them and I want to keep doing that.

OTOH, if my sleeve ends up not working for me, I could see myself getting switched. I'd ask for the smallest possible amount of switching that I could have and still maintain my weight, but I'd rather avoid white carbs forever than go back to being obese.

Btw, I think that person who got fired could have sued for wrongful termination. They wouldn't have fired her if she had cancer and the treatment was making her smell. So why did they think it was okay to fire her for a side-effect of treating her obesity? It's discrimination.

MacM, did you have the band and then convert to the sleeve? Or have you had the sleeve from the beginning of your WL journey?

I'm having a little flair up with my gall bladder and if I learn that I need to have it removed because it is diseased, then I might consider switching to the sleeve during that surgery. But I know very little about the sleeve except that one of the nurses I spoke with said that people with the sleeve just don't get hungry. They have to remind themselves to eat. Plus they don't have to be going back and forth for fills. Is all that true for you?

That would be heaven for me. I have never had a loss of appetite since getting the band. It doesn't matter how much restriction I have, or don't have, my hunger is still overwhelming most of the time. I have lost weight because if I have a lot of restriction, I just can't eat very much. But I have not lost weight because of any appetite control with the band.

MacM, did you have the band and then convert to the sleeve? Or have you had the sleeve from the beginning of your WL journey?

I started out wanting a band but I didn't know about the sleeve. I ended up changing my mind because of stories like yours and also because of the slippage stats and long-term complication stats.

With the sleeve, they remove the portion of your stomach that makes ghrelin so you lose your appetite. I had a VORACIOUS appetite beforehand. After the surgery, it was like a switch had been flipped in my brain.

However, I'm not going to say I *never* get hungry. I get head hunger like everyone else. I also get a feeling that feels like hunger if I drink too fast. Which I sometimes do. I also get a kind of weak and empty feeling if I go about 4-5 hours without eating.

So I've been dealing with these feelings and will continue to deal with them probably for the rest of my life. But without the appetite, it is much easier to deal with head hunger and fake hunger, much easier than it was pre-surgery.

I can look at a piece of cake in the lunch room and think "I WANT THAT" but all I have to do is go back to my desk and get busy and I completely forget about it. Pre-op, it would stay in my mind, tempting me, for quite some time. Sometimes I'd be able to resist, but sometimes I'd go back and have a piece. Or I'd have a piece right there, the first time.

I know people with bands who report similar experiences to mine so I know it can happen with a band. But you have to have proper restriction and the ghrelin is still there and, for some people, that negates the hunger control that proper restriction provides.