Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This thread is going to be sooo inappropriate!

Woah, Denise....take a breath yourself. There are a lot of reasons for nighttime reflux (sleep disorders can be one) that have nothing to do with the band. Just because one person posted on the internet that they had "X" symptom and "Y" reason doesn't mean that there will be a correlation for you as well. Have you been talking to your doc about this? It would certainly be a good dialog to get started.

Woah, Denise....take a breath yourself. There are a lot of reasons for nighttime reflux (sleep disorders can be one) that have nothing to do with the band. Just because one person posted on the internet that they had "X" symptom and "Y" reason doesn't mean that there will be a correlation for you as well. Have you been talking to your doc about this? It would certainly be a good dialog to get started.

Plain...

In general I would tend to agree with you but when it comes to banding and reflux, reflux is a big red flag. It's not safe to have reflux and a band. Not without proper testing.

Often times reflux is a result of a band that is too tight, that can lead to slips and erosion. There is also a new study out that shows the stomach anatomy, a band, and reflux are indeed problematic.

Reflux alone is annoying, reflux and a band needs attention.

There isn't anyway to find out with one test? What if I had the upper endo first. would that tell me what an upper GI would tell me? Insurance isn't going to cover any of this. I know I probably sound really stupid, but I know nothing about these tests. I have never needed them but after reading that a lady had a slip with no other symptoms other than night time reflux, I am freaking out again. She was just like me, with no problems what so ever in the daytime.

I wish my dad's house would sell and I would come down there in a hearbeat and go to your dr.

Hmmm.. well, I'd give the PPI time to work, appropriate dose, appropriate eating habits and if that does not work then you need some testing. Aren't you coming here in the next few months to see your Dad? If so, we can take a trip to Mexicali for a barium swallow. That's $75/$80. Then if you need an endo he can tell you from there.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about a slip at this point. Reflux is not the only indicator of a slip. Not usually. Typically there are more symptoms and you do not appear to have them. Reflux with a band is problematic in itself, but a slip wouldn't be my first concern.

Plain...

In general I would tend to agree with you but when it comes to banding and reflux, reflux is a big red flag. It's not safe to have reflux and a band. Not without proper testing.

Often times reflux is a result of a band that is too tight, that can lead to slips and erosion. There is also a new study out that shows the stomach anatomy, a band, and reflux are indeed problematic.

Reflux alone is annoying, reflux and a band needs attention.

Then why is the reflux only at night? See, I'm not exactly disagreeing with you....could be band-related. On the other hand, it might not be. Really what use is there in consulting people on the internet, when this conversation could be held with a doc?

I can totally see how having a band might make GERD a more urgent problem. What I have a little more problem seeing is the causal connection. I guess it boils down to this: In my opinion, if you are worried about some aspect of your health, talk to your doc. That's the person charged with keeping you healthy.

Then why is the reflux only at night? See, I'm not exactly disagreeing with you....could be band-related. On the other hand, it might not be. Really what use is there in consulting people on the internet, when this conversation could be held with a doc?

I can totally see how having a band might make GERD a more urgent problem. What I have a little more problem seeing is the causal connection. I guess it boils down to this: In my opinion, if you are worried about some aspect of your health, talk to your doc. That's the person charged with keeping you healthy.

People are armed with information today more than ever. People used to go to the doc's office and believe anything they were told. Today that is no longer true. They go to their docs office armed with the right questions and the confidence to know WHAT to ask and what to demand.

Don't you think that is a good thing? Nobody is diagnosing Denise in this thread, we are arming her with info so she can be proactive in her own health care. Personally I think that is a fantastic thing!

Oh gosh, we think alike now? EEP! :biggrin:

It's not just you two. Everyone getting WLS goes through this. Just keep thinking with your head and your logic and not with your emotions and you'll be fine.

Edited by MacMadame

It's not just you two. Everyone getting WLS goes through this. Just keep thinking with your head and your logic and not with your emotions and you'll be fine.

Buttttt.... how do you talk logic with Plain???

(snark)

(Love ya Plain)

I love Logic. They have delicious beverages. Cheap too, if you get in during happy hour. Oh wait...that's Sonic I was thinking of. I love Sonic. Logic, I'm kinda ambivalent about.

Did someone say Sonic?

They've been teasing me with building one around the corner from where I live for years now. They even went so far as to put the shell up. Well, the shell has been up for six months now. That's it... nothing more. That and Friday's.

Did I mention I'm getting a fill tomorrow? Can they band your brain?

Guest Leslie2Lose

Lil - I want a band on my brain, or a little switch that'll turn off emotional eating. Darnit - that is what counseling is for! A switch would be a lot cheaper though...we need to work on that. We'll be RICH!

Mmmmm - Sonic! We have three here...love their ICE. They have great ice (and I can eat that!). LOL

Mac, she was just hatin'......I think she's jealous.

Dream on, son! What do you have that I'm jealous of? Oh, yeah, 75 pound weight loss! :regular_smile:

Lil - I want a band on my brain, or a little switch that'll turn off emotional eating. Darnit - that is what counseling is for! A switch would be a lot cheaper though...we need to work on that. We'll be RICH!

Even if we all went into together, we'd STILL be rich!!! Wahoo! We can shop at Lenox and Phipps then, Leslie!

Mmmmm - Sonic! We have three here...love their ICE. They have great ice (and I can eat that!). LOL

They really do have great ice as does Zaxby's. Do y'all have Zaxby's? Must. stop. thinking. about. chicken. I'm starving on this liquid diet BS!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Oohh Sick....we do have a Zaxbys. I've deducted that it is another EVIL place...especially Zax Sauce...I could drink that stuff. Yes they have the BEST ice. Can you tell I'm an ice girl? I even have it in my milk. Gotta have COLD milk - that lukewarm crap is for the birds.

Oh and good luck tomorrow! I know you will do great...my thoughts and prayers are with you. ((hugs))

Thank you so much, Leslie!! My boss (and family) sent me a beautiful flower arrangement today. How sweet is that?!? Maybe I can use a pic as my avatar! Haha

I actually don't dig the Zaxby sauce but I luvvvvv the honey mustard! I also luv the seasoned fries. Gotta stop thinking about food, gah!