Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lifting kids after surgery

I got my date!! April 30th, 4 months before my 40th birthday.

My son will be almost 18 months old and my ? is how do you handle not picking up your baby? I need to get him up and down the stairs, in and out of the crib, up for diaper changes. Not to mention getting him off the kitchen table, counters and everywhere else he gets the idea to climb. He is a handful!! Any suggestions?

Hi Rowshan

I guess it's a bit variable between all of us as individuals but I was banded five days ago and have no problems with lifting. The wounds are small and are not really causing any major problems. I'm not sure my abs would be up to a sit up or two but simple lifting should not be a problem

Hope that helps

Gordon

You can check with your doctor about lifting techniques, lots of women have a c-section delivery and then go home to a toddler as well as the newborn. So I imagine there are some Tricks of the trade so to speak

At 18 months you could just change his diaper on a change pad on the floor instead of lifting him.

You physically won't have any troubles lifting your child. I have a 17 month old and felt like I could lift her the next day. The reason the Dr said not to lift over 15 lbs. is b/c you can develop a hernia very easily. Any chance of getting grandparents to come stay a while?

I was not able to lift my grandson for 3 weeks, everytime I did I felt a pulling on the band. It made my recovery longer. I am 4 weeks out now and it is fine.

I had my surgery 11 days ago. I also have a toddler, she is 15 months old and weighs about 25 pounds. I did not lift her for 3 days straight from the floor or out of the crib, I was scared I'd hurt myself. If I needed to change her, I'd sit down on the bed/couch/chair and put my elbows on my knees and lift her into my lap using only my arms, then I would adjust her accordingly. I'd do the same for sleeping. Since I was off and could "sleep in" (as if anyone with a toddler gets to 'sleep in') I let her sleep with me, and I put her up and down the same way. I am very lucky though, I have lots of help in the house - a 12 yr. old and a husband - so I didn't find myself alone with the baby that often. One thing that really bothered/scared me was her kicking me, on accident of course, but still - those incisions hurt. We made it through though and now I can carry and love her and almost play with her just like before. Hope this helps. Good luck.

My little girl is 22 months and very active. I asked my mother if she would be willing to come and help for a week, but I'm going to ask my Doctor his opinion.

It's a good concern. I was banded on March 6, 2008. I have a 2 year old who is very very active. I was in pain for like 5 days after so he stayed with my parents who live down the street...i saw him for a few hours when my mom brought him by. It's been three weeks and I just started carrying him for a few minutes. The first week other than my physical pain, i was soooo depressed because I couldn't carry him or hug him because i was afraid he would kick or move. Now he owes that mommy has an ouwy on her tummy so he's careful. I will see the dr on the 6th of april and for my first fill...the first question i will ask him if if i can carry him comfortably without causing any damage. Have someone stay with you to help you out for a few days?

I called my surgeans office they also said I should get help after the surgery. So I'm going to bring my mom down from Michigan to help or I'm going to send her to her dad's mom in North Carolina.

I have an 8 month old, 4 and 6 year old. I waited one week from my surgery on 3-17 to pick up the infant for fear the band would slip. After my 10 day post op appt, my dr said no problem with the baby and infant carrier. She weighs 20 lbs. I still don't pick up the older ones since they weigh like 60 lbs. Good luck!:crying:

Thanks for all the great advice! My surgery is on a Wednesday so my DH will take W,T,F off work plus the weekend. If I still need help after that I am lining up people to stop by and get him in/out of his crib in the a.m. and for naps. Currently he (baby) is working on going down the stairs and will hopefully have that mastered by 4/30!

Here is another question - how soon after could you drive?

Only 31 more days till my surgery:thumbup: