Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you chew, chew, chew?

My surgery is scheduled for April 16th. I've been trying to practice chewing and taking small bites, but it doesn't seem to be working. Before I know it, I'm taking big bites and not chewing as well as I need to with the band. How do you teach yourself to do this? How long did it take to make it automatic? I've been eating this way my whole life. How do your change a habit like this? Any suggestions?

LOL---I'd love to know if there is an answer to this! I am getting banded tomorrow! I STILL have not perfected it...in fact...I have given up on trying and am just hoping that when I am FORCED to, I will just concede!

With your mouth, mouth, mouth. Heh! Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

I've been "training" myself the past 10 days. You have to pay very close attention to what you are doing, so you can't be in a rush. Here are some things working for me.

I cut whatever I'm eating into very small pieces before I begin to eat.

Using a small plastic fork or spoon helps! Can't get a lot of food on them.

I set a minimum time of 30 minutes to be eating. This makes me pace myself, which makes me chew, chew, chew.

This may sound gross, but here goes; I chew my little bites and if I find myself starting to swallow, I force it to the front of my mouth and chew until it's mush - about half spit and half food. Then and only then do I swallow.

Really taste and savor the food you are eating. Concentrate on it.

I'm having 2 Lean Cuisine meals a day (lunch and dinner) and those things are tiny! I had the Salisbury Steak / mac & cheese one for lunch and it took me 40 minutes to eat it. Last night I had the BBQ chicken pizza and it took over an hour to eat that.

Hope this helps,

Jena

The band will definitely teach you!!

In the beginning I was terrified of "hurting" the band so I was extremely careful on bite size and chewing until it just disappeared from my mouth.

Then, after awhile, I'd try bigger bites, try chewing less (bad, I know).

Well once you get "restriction" you will know if you didn't chew enough. It can feel different at times; it's pressure in the chest or you can feel the food squeeeeeeezing through; or you get to the point where it's stuck and the inevitable PB is coming.

Each fill requires you to go back to liquids and/or mushies (each doc is different on how long). Then you carefully introduce solids again to test out your new tightness.

And, like everyone else - I sometimes get too hungry and take a big bite and don't chew well enough. I pay the price now when that happens.

AZnikki - I wish you the absolute best on your banding tomorrow!!! :thumbup:

Bea - your time will be here before you know it! Just keep reading LBT!

wombat

Jena, one day a lean cuisine will not look tiny to you, lol. Its a great place to be when that happens, but it does take a long time.

Learning to chew comes slowly but quite naturally. The best way to practice is what lots of you are doing, vow that it will take you half an hour to eat whatever it is and eat accordingly - tiny bites and lots of chewing, even if it means counting say 30 chews in your head per bite.

Over time, it does start to come naturally, although I often eat too fast at the start of a meal and have to pause to let discomfort past. But its enforced with discomfort, NOT with major pain, throwing up etc. You just sort of subconsciously learn to avoid that slightly uncomfortable feeling and take it slower.

Not that I dont believe for a second that without my band I wouldnt revert in an instant to big bites and less chewing. I think that must be some sort of a human instinct, rather than a mere habit.

AZnikki, if you were asking me, I'm not banded yet - setting the date next week. I'm just trying to be as prepared as I can be. :thumbup:

Jachut, love your tag line!

I never realized how I wolfed things down in order to eat more before I started. I could eat two full helpings in less than 10 minutes!

It's definitely a great idea to practice!!! I've had the surgery since June last year and I still have to remind myself to chew. The quality of eating is a HUGE difference, though. With small bites, you don't feel like you'll get sick or anything. Big bites can make it hard to breathe.

It's so odd going on dates and having to chew the tiniest bites!

I think sometimes it can be more enjoyable though, once it isn't so annoying... this sounds weird but I read once in this Buddhism book about how people are never really mindful of what they are eating. They don't pay attention to the different flavors, or the textures, or even how their food really looks. People just turn on the TV and eat, and we have two different types of food, "good" and "bad". So try making eating a little more special, not a chore, but a time for being by yourself (not the TV or the phone or a book or anything else) or just spending time with your family. And get to know what you're eating. It's almost like meditation except a little yummier. >.<

Thanks so much for all of your advice! I'm not worried about the acutal surgery at all. I know I'm in good hands. It's the chewing that concerns me! :thumbup: That sounds ridiculous, but true!

Hi Bea,

I guess to add my $.02 worth, you will find out RIGHT fast (and I'm STILL learning)...I agree with the others. The key is to not let yourself get TOO hungry (or drink a big glass of Water before you eat) to make sure you don't take too big of bites or too fast. I was banded in October and am still learning through 'trial and error'.

You will get there and KUDOS to you for practicing and preparing for your banding. That will put you even more in line with your goals and will help you be more successful.

Good luck and keep us posted how it's going for you!!:wink2:

I have been banded a month and let me tell you, I forget constantly and am reminded constantly! I had my first fill 10 days ago and since then, if I take too big of a bite, or don't chew, OMG, not fun. However, I am apparently a SLOW learner - because I keep doing it!

The funny thing, it always happens with something soft - like baked potato or soft fish. I think maybe I am more aware when I eat heavier foods such as chicken and Salmon and chew better.

Oh well, one day I will learn!

Bea, I'm glad you posted this. I just realized yesterday that I'm practically swallowing my food whole, I'm in such a hurry. Doesn't help that I have a 21 month old who's usually done eating by the time I get my plate fixed. I was just telling my mom last night on the phone that I need to start practicing slowing down and chewing my food better.

I read once in this Buddhism book about how people are never really mindful of what they are eating. They don't pay attention to the different flavors, or the textures, or even how their food really looks.

I've been trying to eat slower and chew more in preparation for getting the band. Prior to this, I've been REALLY into spicy foods. Well, I've found when you take time to actually CHEW your food, it's got TONS more flavor then when you gulp it down. You don't NEED to put a ton of spice on it to give it flavor.

I'm a bit in shock, actually. :wink2: