Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buying clothes throughout weightloss?

What did everyone do as the weight started coming off? I don't wanna be walking around this summer in sweats, OR spend a lot of money on clothes that might not fit after a few months, so what's the best plan for this? ESPECIALLY with summer coming up?

Time

I don't know where you are from but you could try Goodwill, Salvation Army, or even garage/yard sales?

Just buy cheap clothes that fit. I was trying to wait but realized that I can't walk around with my jeans hanging off of my toosh! I try to buy new jeans every 2 sizes I go down. :(

Right now, I am a size 18 but wearing size 20 jeans because I refuse to buy jeans until I can squeeze into a size 16. If you buy new clothes at Marshalls, Target, Walmart, TJ Maxx, etc, they are not really expensive. :wink:

The last jeans I bought were cute Levi's from Marshalls and they cost all of $14. I wear them with my Louis Vuitton bag (one size fits all!) and they look great. I spend about $14 on lunch with a cappucino so thats how I justify buying new clothes when I am going down in weight. :tt1:

I don't want to waste money on clothes, but you need to wear clothes that fit or you walk around looking shlumpy. You can buy clothes that are cheap and chic and look like a million bucks!! :lol:

What did everyone do as the weight started coming off? I don't wanna be walking around this summer in sweats, OR spend a lot of money on clothes that might not fit after a few months, so what's the best plan for this? ESPECIALLY with summer coming up?

target and old navy should keep you covered till you get to your goal, as my brother says about old navy "eh tara, check out this shirt, 10 bucks at old navy, good value" he said that so often but it always cracked us up!! you have to have stuff that fits so you feel good about your journey, if your wearing schlumpy clothes 6 sizes too big, then I think the risk of slacking off is higher.

Places like Goodwill are good, even Walmart. I just bought a pair of shorts there last night for $10 and a shirt for $5. I look for the sales. I have even bought some stuff off of Ebay. I heard some doctors offices have a clothing exchange. I try to wear my clothes as long as I can but after a while I feel like I have poopy pants on or something lol!

I have found that Goodwill is a good place. But the best trick is to buy 1 nice transition piece that can go with everything. Basic black is always good. Then you add cheaper items to it and you feel good, I hated feeling like I was looking bad because of my outfit. Resale shops rock as well, I traded mine in most of the time! I brought in what didn't fit and bought what did fit for about 1 year. I didn't spend alot that way, but I was able to stay in designer brands. (Important for my job) I have to look very presentable so it was an easy way to do it!

I mostly bought stuff new, but cheap stuff, and I bought snug and wore till too loose.

Of course, it depends on your job and how important it is to look nice: I work a job where we all dress casually. So things like sweaters and t-shirts can be worn across size changes because they don't require an exact fit.

For jeans, I buy the kind that have a bit of spandex in them and elastic in the back of the waist. So I'm able to start out with them a little snug and wear till too loose.

Gathered skirts with elastic waists work great across sizes, particularly if there are loops for a belt. I suppose it doesn't work as well if you like to tuck in your shirt, which looks neater.

I won't start tucking in my shirt again til I'm down to a size 14. Hopefully this year!!

I go to beall's outlet and target for my jeans. Now that summer is around the corner- I had to break down and go to kohls. I bought summer dresses that will i can continue to wear with more weight loss. It is a bit harder for me durning the summer time becuase AZ is so warm. Summer is the point when I have to break down and pay a bit more for the proper clothing. The rest of the year is jeans and t-shirt.

Now that I am smaller, I even get to exchange some articles of clothing with my friends.

I have an awesome mom who has actually taken up my jeans in the waist quite nicely so I can get some extra use out of them but now they are again getting too loose.

Like the other said, I'm planning on hitting Wal-Mart, Target, Old Navy for some cheap clothing, mostly pants and will have mom take them up in the waist as I continue to shrink.

I've been wearing a lot of my old tops but they really are beginning to look ridiculous on me. A woman at work told me to never wear a shirt again b/c it looked like a tent on me. :(

I have bought some really cute costume necklace, earring and Bracelet sets. They fit me all the time. Then I buy really cheap v-neck 3/4 sleeve Tshirts in a variety of colors. I buy them a little snug so they last longer. I pair them with black dress pants for work, or cheap jeans or capris. The jewelry makes you look put together and well dressed even if you are wearing a cheap t-shirt. The 3/4 sleeve t-shirts look nicer too and you can wear them in winter or summer

I am not spending money on "good" clothes, meaning, I am not buying the work suits, and dresses that I used to buy in Lord and Taylors. I went on vacation in Florida and went to Bealls Outlet and Ross. Found great designer stuff for little $$. I can get away with the larger sized tops, but my pants have been falling off so had to buy them.

I just bought moderately priced stuff that fit. I find tops fit for aaaaages, specially since once I wasnt roly poly round the middle, I liked them more fitted, and it was no great dramas to go out and buy 2 or so pairs of jeans as I needed to.

I'm a sahm/student though, it would have been a bit pricier with work clothes, but then again, to a larger degree those types of things are alterable, unlike jeans and tshirts.

I go to beall's outlet and target for my jeans. Now that summer is around the corner- I had to break down and go to kohls. I bought summer dresses that will i can continue to wear with more weight loss. It is a bit harder for me durning the summer time becuase AZ is so warm. Summer is the point when I have to break down and pay a bit more for the proper clothing. The rest of the year is jeans and t-shirt.

quote]

I am in AZ too and can't wait to wear a summer dress. Would be nice to try this summer! Kohls is having a good sale, I went there Saturday.

I buy t-shirts and two pair of jeans to fit. I buy two workout outfits and two nice outfits. I just alternate and do a lot of washing. I have been at a standstill for a while so I havent had to buy. I also buy on clearance sizes I am close to so that I get better deals.

I saved a lot of my smaller clothes so I am just now having to buy stuff. That helps a lot.

I accidently ran my jeans through the washer with hot water... Well needless to say, they shrunk and are not baggie anymore. You could try it too to help prolong your clothing. :mad2: