Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone doing Weight Watchers (or similar) as well as having the band?

Hi all,

Just a quick query -- does anyone follow a specific dietary program (like Weight Watchers) as well as having their band? A lot of people have been having some really in-depth conversations on here about exact quantities of Protein you should be eating (in grams), as well as precise levels of carbohydrate and so on.

In my past dieting escapades (which, let's face it, have been ultimately unsuccessful) I have generally found that sticking with an easier to work out system like Weight Watchers Points was a lot simpler in working out how much i should be having of each food group, rather than x grams of Protein, x grams of carb etc.

Is there anyone who uses weight watchers points to calculate what they should be eating? Or, otherwise, are there any websites which can help you calculate and track your intake of certain food groups?

My dietician has been less than helpful in this area, so I'm thinking of going back to a weight watchers based system.

Cheers,

Annie.

hello

I am a calorie counter as well but i do eat the weight watchers meals for dinner when i work other than that i eat regular foods just watch the portion of how much i eat. I also use the lean cuisene and south beach meals too. and ive been doin great so far i have been banded for three months now. I just love this thing:thumbup:

I used to do the WW and Lean Cuisine meals... but now I quit eating meat so I can't have them. Oh well. It forces me to cook a bit more. :)

I have used WW, both Flex and Core plans after being banded, when I went through periods of struggle and wanted to track my intake. I'm using WW Online right now for tracking my food & exercise. I found WW to be a good plan prior to banding, except for the whole feeling hungry all the time thing. :)

One recommendation I hear a lot is for FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journalas far as tracking food, exercise and the rest. Haven't tried it myself, but I might, since it's free and the WW site isn't.

I don't do WW, but wanted to comment on something else you said.

Immediately before & about 7 months post-op, I used a website to track everything I ate.. I am counting calories.. and make an effort to eat more Protein than other stuff. After the 7 months, I was able to learn how to gauge foods I eat on a day to day basis.. how many calories are roughly in X, and how much of X do I actually eat.. etc. Once in a blue moon I eat something new, or somewhere new, and want to get an idea of what the item is caloricly (since sooo many things have hidden calories).

But I can pretty much go anywhere with DH and know what I should or shouldn't eat. If it's high calorie but something I can't eat much of, I'll get it. If it's high calorie and I know I can normally eat quite a bit of it, I just pass on to something else.

Before surgery I started going to WW. Not going now, but still counting points as I find it easy and realistic. That said - I don't eat all my "allowable points". I generally stick to 20-25 points per day, more on special occasions. I still document everything I eat on a daily basis, because it keeps me honest.

Many bandsters on this forum have chosed to go low carb. I have consciously chosed not to do so. I have been on low carb diets many times and have been very successful, only to regain the weight (plus extra) as soon as I introduced even a few carbs. For me, I thought it would be better to continue eating as I plan to eat for the rest of my life, just in moderation!

In terms of websites I really like Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate You can use the basic service for free and I find I have been able to find everything I eat (or a basic equivalent) and it also tracks the nutrients (including fat and fiber). It also compiles really cool charts for you and you can track exercise (although I don't believe that the number of calories it says you use is accurate). As a benefit, lots of people have inputted recipes and included the nutritional content, so you can also increase your cooking repetoire :biggrin:

I have been following Weight Watchers for 2 weeks. The secret for me is sticking to 20 points a day plus the extra points. They wanted me to eat 26 points a day but I wasn't losing on that. I lost 2 lbs this week. My extra points are primarily for alcohol consumption. 1/2 cup of wine is 4 points so you can see how fast those points really do go. I love the point system. I pledged to myself to stick to it for 10 weeks and bought a 10 week pass. My goal is to lose another 10-15 lbs before I have plastic surgery. I think I can do that in 10 weeks. Also, keep in mind that 1 point is 50 calories. That is why I do 20 points day. That plus the bonus points typically puts me at 1200 calories a day. My doctor says that is fine. I am very happy following the Weight Watchers plan. P.S. I was on a plateau just being banded and was down 65 lbs, 105 preop. This has really jump started me again. Good luck. Let me know what you decide.

Hello, I and several people on LBT are using the "SparkPeople.com" website. You may find it easy to use also. They have a host of foods you can track and a meal plan to follow charting calories, Proteins, carbs, fat, etc. as well as an exercise plan cardio & strength along w/ a variety of exercises to use, also how many calories to have for the amount of weight you want to lose. View the site and give it a try. It also take you through four stages. Each is simple to follow and not time constraint.

I did stage one - a 2 week plan, for about a month before I really decided to really give it my all. Found out I was being defiant for nothing. Was not ready to let control of my way of eating. When I did, the weight began to come off with the help of the band. Since the band is just a tool, remember? Also, did you invest in a food scale, measuring cups and spoons yet? If not, you may want to do so. This will help you no matter whether you follow a plan or not. Another one is NutritionData.com.

Let me know if and when you visit the site.