Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Fill Misery

I Completely agree...Excersize is vital...As Is a healthy diet...But isn't the band supposed to make it a whole lot easier to follow through with that healthy diet??? I'm just feeling like the band should make it almost impossible to over-eat...(except for the Fluid calories like mentioned above).And if we eat a whole lot less and add exercise, we should be almost guaranteed significant weight loss... Certainly this is the expectation of most people going into this surgery...No??? Again, I'm not being critical of anyone's posts...Just trying to get a grasp on this thing for myself...as I am 8 weeks out and still without a fill.

At 8 weeks out, you're probably not feeling the full effect of a well restricted band yet, so dont panic. What you are saying is reasonable to a degree but be prepared, it DOES take quite a lot of work and for most people the band does not eliminate head hunger, that vague I just want to eat something even though I"m not hungry feeling. YOu have to learn to deal with that - but dealing with it means you deal BETTER with it than you did, not that you become some perfect eater. Near enough IS good enough over the longer term, as long as your habits improve in general, you'll most likely get results, then its down to you just how low you want to go, it takes more and more work the closer you get to a healthy weight but you get stronger and stronger.

The band doesnt make it impossible to overeat and it certainly doesnt make it impossible to go over 1200 calories a day. You have to choose right, which you understand (no liquid calories) but you can snack, graze, nibble your way through a lot of calories in a day and you have to remain conscious of your tendency to choose foods you can eat more easily. Even when they're healthy ones. So often I eat yogurt, Soup, crackers instead of a sandwich (which takes WORK) and there I am 2 hours later lookign for something else to eat. The extra effort on the sandwich means I dont eat till my next meal, but you dont consciously think "I'm going to eat something easier becuase I cant be bothered with the sandwich", you just think "I feel like yogurt, dont really want a sandwich". Its not easy, its a habit you have to constantly be on top of.

The band only makes it impossible to eat a lot at one sitting. There's a lot of user effort with this thing but surprisingly, most of us CAN do it even after a lifetime of failed dieting. Just dont expect perfection from yourself, it takes time to build new habits, I think it was an entire YEAR before I really could grasp what a proper sized dinner was for me.

Midniteblue, what you wrote really played on my mind for some reason. When you contact your insurance company about your issues ask for a flourscope fill. It's a fill taken/given under x-ray to see if the saline is going into the port/tube correctly. This way you and the doctor will see if any is in the band at all. If not then you and the doctor can determine what when/is wrong that you are not losing weight.

And talk again to the others that had the surgery by the same doctor and really write and compare issues and all write and complain to the insurance company. Lastly, you may, just may have the wrong size band. There are three sizes. Inqurire if you may need a smaller, maybe.

Also, contact your nutiritionist/dietician to help with your eating habits/style. My nutritionist was able to helpl me pinpoint what foods were not working for me just now. I am a great advocate of the food scale, measuring spoons and cups. I measure everything I put on my plate to put in my mouth.

Good Luck and let us know what comes of your next visit and contacting the insurance company. You are not alone in this matter nor in trying to lose the weight. Please, you've hung in there for two years, please don't give up now.

Jacqui,

I appreciate what you wrote. Just had my 3rd fill and finally feeling some restriction, but not total. I tend towrd the liquid or mushy foods bercause I like them better, but you're right, a sandwich is a better choice, or a salad with Protein, for that matter.

Caryn

wow. i just had my first fill and he put in 3.5 ccs. no wonder u didnt have any restriction. I am definitely feeling the difference now!!!

I hear ya girl. I have an ultra conservative Dr. and in a 10cc band I have only 2.5 cc's right now. Have not lost jack! I have had two fills and am in tears all the time because everyone is asking me if I have lost weight and I have to keep telling them no! I am trying a new doc next month. It's so hard to see the numbers of those loosing over a hundred pounds on here. Believe me, I have such regrets about this surgery but a slight hope this will all work out for me.....

Hi Everyone, I just want to say, I understand exactly what you're going through. I went through it also, as you will read others have too. My doctor was very conservative about given full cc fills at one time. The most he gave me would be .5cc. I too was ready about to give up. Although I was losing weight w/ the small fills, I was looking for the 2lbs a week loss. I took on the 5 - 6 small meals a day way of eating. (I will not refer to diet, for we are no longer on a diet, but a new way of eating.)

After a while I hit a hugh plateau, lasting for 3 -4 months, yet still getting fills. I did hit that restriction once and once only. When 6 fills later with the last fill of .3cc that's when I hit my best and present restriction. So, I too thought that it was for the money also, although I have insurance covering this, I was out of my mind thinking that I would be the one to fail w/ the lapband. Of course I no longer think this now that I have restriction.

So, please stick to it. It will take sometime before you're at your right restriction. It will come. It took me 6 fills and 10 months, but I've arrived. Remeber, we gained the weight over the course of years. Many years of eating what we wanted in the amount we wanted. Now we need to take this time to retrain our eating habits and gain new insight into healthy ways of eating. This will not take years but many, many months of effort and a strong mind set. Just Don't Give Up. You will not fail but you lose, despite your feelings you have now.

See your nurtitionist/dietician often. Ask them to help you find foods that may compliment your new eating style. I am a strong advocate of measuring foods and drinks. If you haven't already get a food scale. Most of us already have measuring cups and spoons in our kitchens. Stick to the serving amounts, and measure all you foods before eating. Take into consideration your daily calorie intake. Even the Snacks you eat. Exercise, drink Water, cut back on salt and sugary foods, and high fat foods and measure, measure and more measuring.

Like most of us who work, I carry my lunch and snack in containers. I divide them out for the week. Also, I keep a small plate at work to eat off. This takes the edge of eating smal meals off a large plate. I also, eat with the salad fork and teaspoon. The times I don't put my food on a plate, I use a two different size containers. One is 7 - 8" long, the second about 5 - 6" long. I put my snack/desserts in those small baby food containers. The stage 2 and 3 size containers, they measure 2 and 3 oz sizes. Depending of what size is the meal I'm eating. Again taking off the edge of eating a small meal. No more than 8 - 10 oz of drinks, 3 - 4oz of Protein (no more than 5oz), 4 oz of carbs and veggie are free and salad..

Again talk to your nutritionist/dietician for calories to eat, better food choices and ounces.

Sorry to be so wordy, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone in what you're experiencing. We've all are going and have gone through what you are now. Just Don't Give Up. This to shall pass.

Edited by Whitepants

hi. 10 fills in a year is not that excessive. my doctor tells me to get a fill every 4 weeks. also. how big is your band? mine only holds 5 and i get a 1/2 everytime i go. so i would need 10 fills to reach my five and that would be a year. this doctor sounds like he doesnt put the band on right. somthings fishy here.

These posts have me worried. I have not been banded yet. If I could be successful weighing and measuring and using willpower and changing my lifestyle, then I would go to Weight Watchers for a lot less money!

The question is--

The band is a TOOL. If I eat right and exercise, I will lose weight.

Weight Watchers is a TOOL. If I eat right and exercise, I will lose weight.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

The difference is that with the band you get full and it stops you from going overboard if it is filled properly. The difference is that it is NOT all about self control. The difference is when I am full and there is no room left, there is no room left,,,The difference is that I feel full longer. It is like this: hour glass,,a regular glass tipped over would just pour the salt straight through which means that you have to keep adding salt until it is all the way up to the top for it to stop pouring right through it or keep flipping it over and over to make it fill,,,,the hour glass,,,gives you time,,,the salt goes slowly through it and times lengthens before you have to flip it over,,lots of time and there is no room at the top to add salt to the hourglass for quite aq while until it is time to flip (if that makes sense)it takes a long time to go down so there is no room to add anything to it ,,,well when we are talking about food,,,the same applies,,,you can only add so much at once with the band which makes for a quick full feeling,,,it goes down really slow which gives your mind and body the sensation and time it needs to 1. realize that it is full on less and 2. Stay full for a longer period of time. It is night and dayto to the WW (alone)self control game. I think the two together are great for some,,however, I always felt hungry and I always ate just a little more on WW if I were honest (except in the beginning when I was using will power in full force). NOW I CANNOT unless I just push myself to no end and feel sick and hurting doing it! Your mind is powerful so you have to deal with that part of the eating but hey, any healthy eating patterns have to start somewhere. I never thought that I could eat right,,,and choose right,,,never and now with the band it is sooooooo much easier and it works! Proper fill is the most important part and it helps you realize just how much you DON'T need to feel full and satisfied. It is amazing! Most everyone here on this board had the same fears,,,yes some (few) are having trouble with success but head hunger is powerful (we all know that or we wouldn't be here),,,you have to learn it, know it well, like keeping an enemy close but most people that are not having success are not restricted enough to feel what I explained above,,,they will get there,,if they don't give up! Anything you do is a tool not a fix,,,any surgery or weight loss program,,,it is just the band makes it doable!

Good luck

Susan

Edited by luzin susan

If your band is placed right, it is right over the gland that produces your appetite hormone. This helps supress your appetite at least for a while sometimes forever ( I hope I am supressed forever!). It is a very precise placement. I have very little appetite even though i have no restriction. and tightening the band on your stomach opening during the operation is very tricky too. I have some restriction even though I have no fill yet.

This is why it is better to get a doctor with lots of experience. I feel lucky to have Dr Brown in DEnver. It has been a great experience so far and I am soooo relieved to have the band help me get thinner. I watch my calories and have stepped up my exercise. This will help me for the rest of my life!

I think there are a lot of hacks out there and they blame us when they do a crappy job and just put the thing in there as quickly as possible and have it too loose. I was in surgery for 1 1/2 hours as was my partner- not quick for sure.

My doctor is doing my first fill in 1 1/2 weeks and he puts in 4cc's in a 10 cc band right away and adjusts from there. Very aggressive with fills.

Maybe we should make a list of questions to ask doctors so people can judge how aggressive the doc is and how much experience they have placing bands.

Maybe people should consult with a doc recommended by folks on this board and see if anything can be done to increase their weight loss.

Sadie