Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Diet or Not to Diet before Surgery?????

Hello,

I'm probably still about 4 months away from surgery. My insurance requires 6 month visits with my PCP before surgery. I won't get to meet with the surgeon until after the six months are up. I look at all the before and after pictures and get so excited, but also concerned. Can I do this? Will I still find a way to fail at this too?

My thinking now is going back and forth between:

1. Cut back on what you eat and get used to the restrictions before you have the surgery.

2. Eat all the things you love because after the surgery you won't be able to have them.

Have any of you had these same thoughts? How hard is it to eat and do the right things after surgery? I'm really stressing out about this!

Barbara

I am in my 5th month of the 6 month ins required diet. I decided from the start to stick to a plan close to what I would be doing after surgery. It was fairly tough the first month but after that just became somewhat routine. Now I am so happy that I did this. I have a feeling that it has prepared me for what I am in for after surgery. I know that I will most likely be hungry for awhile after surgery but I am so used to this feeling. I started Nov 20 and am down 46lbs. This diet has prepared me and also this forum. I felt like I was left out to sea all alone when I first started. I have gotten so much info from this site. Good luck and I believe the band is a tool to help a person succeed. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!

I was where you are last June, after starting in March. When you have your pre-op visit with your surgeon (mine was a month prior to surgery), then you will know it is time to get prepared for your future life.

The information you will get from your Bariatric Center (or surgeon) will fully explain what you must do prior to surgery, and if you are truly serious about making this life change, you will follow everything to the letter--no matter how tough it may seem.

Those that have the "last supper syndrome" are just kidding themselves and honestly, Baboo, I don't feel any of them was ready for surgery. :thumbup:

Good luck to you--I know you can do it...

Thanks for your comments. I really need to get my head wrapped around this. I think today I'm going to make a list of what the advantages of weight loss are verus what food does for me. I know that sounds stupid but I think I need to see it on paper! Then I need to start letting go of my "best friend" FOOD! He has always been there to comfort me when I was down or Celebrate with me when something good happened. Oh, and let's not forget that he has helped me develop high blood pressure, high colesterol, not be able to tie my shoes, walk up or down stairs without huffing and puffing, etc., etc. What am I thinking about! Five minutes after I eat I can't remember what it was I ate. If I lose weight the long term benefits are something I can feel and see in the mirror. Thanks for letting me rant. I needed to see all of this on paper.

I love this forum!

Barbara

I saw my Dr. January 18th for the first visit. I was expecting to be told that I need to do a 6 month diet, but my insurance approved me within one week!! I was in total shock and thought that they send the approval letter to the wrong patient!! But then I was sad to find out that they were booked up until May 8th (my surgery date). I have been counting down the days!! I was leary on dieting before surgery because I thought I better eat anything and everything!! But I thought that would be soooo dumb, I already can not fit into any of my clothes.. So I started Weight watchers January 22nd and I have lost 20lbs. This is getting my mind into the "dieting" mode, the lap-band is not a cure, its a tool and you have to work with it.. So dieting is going to help me work with my "tool" I plan to still do along the same line of WW after surgery. I am soo nervous about the pre-op diet... any suggestions?

I also had decided that If I was told that I had to do the 6 month diet I was not going to try too hard so that I could still qualify after the 6 months.. I know that sounds soo mean!! but I want this dang band!!!

MAY 8th Here I come..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches