Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Sliming Experience! Ughhh!

I'm in the same boat! I try to be really careful and chew slowly but I still get a stuck episode almost daily. I drink before eating but it happens anyway. On the other hand, if I eat slow enough, I can still get in a large meal before feeling full. I know I'm not restricted enough but I can't stand the thought of getting stuck more often than I am now. I think I'm going to have to leave the restriction alone and really try to diet which is not why I got this band. I have been going up and down the same 5 pounds for 2 months now. I'm getting discouraged and losing my focus. I'm not even posting on the spring challenge board. My "eating" demons are on my shoulder every night and I think the only way to chase them away would be to go to bed earlier. I'm a night owl so it's hard. Maybe a very small fill would be the answer. It could always be unfilled if there's a problem.

Cindy/Linda

I would get the fill even if it is a very small one. I think that by going in and getting a tweak it will help you but you will definately have to chew, chew and chew some more. Also, eating much slower. I would also recommend drinking something warm prior to eating. This will loosen the band up a little. I am finding that I am eating crazy stuff sometimes at crazy times; i.e., 1 scoop ice cream sundaes or Cookies but I always have a small amount just to get the demon off my back. I think that if we try to stay away from our triggers it will make the craving much stronger so I find for me that it is better for me to have just a little to but the craving on ice.

It seems to work for me because I am down 88lbs.

I have also noticed that shifting my calorie intake every so often kicks starts my metabolism. For example, I might only eat 800-1000 calories for several days in a row and then eat at 1200-1500 for additional days in row. I might even kick it higher than that if I am hungrier than usual. It seems to work for me.

Keep your chins up your doing great and you just need to keep coming here for support. We are here for you.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy!

I'm going to follow your advice. I have an appointment in 2 weeks and will ask for a small fill. My doctor wants us on this super strict diet. It's pretty much the Atkins or South Beach. Absolutely no carbs except in 1-2 pieces of fruit. He doesn't even want us drinking skim milk cause of the sugar content. He wants us to use Equal instead of Splenda cause Splenda is a derivitive of sugar even though it has no calories. No Soup because of the salt. I mentioned early on that his diet guidelines seem to be stricter than any I read on this board. I don't feel well on a carb-free diet so I don't follow it. But my way isn't working too well either. What kind of foods do you eat? You're doing amazing! Could use some advise.

After my last fill, I was craving Protein and couldn't tolerate solids for a few days. My husband made me a chocolate milkshake with low fat ice cream, skim milk, and a squirt of low cal choc Syrup. Now I crave them daily and I never wanted milkshakes before the band. I have been having a small one each night but I don't think that's what has slowed the weight loss down. I know my portions are still too big. The other problem is I have to wet all of my food with gravy, ketchup, mayo, or butter or it will get stuck. If it wasn't for this stuck problem, I would be doing a lot better. How have you been doing after your last fill?

Thanks Cindy!

I'm going to follow your advice. I have an appointment in 2 weeks and will ask for a small fill. My doctor wants us on this super strict diet. It's pretty much the Atkins or South Beach. Absolutely no carbs except in 1-2 pieces of fruit. He doesn't even want us drinking skim milk cause of the sugar content. He wants us to use Equal instead of Splenda cause Splenda is a derivitive of sugar even though it has no calories. No Soup because of the salt. I mentioned early on that his diet guidelines seem to be stricter than any I read on this board. I don't feel well on a carb-free diet so I don't follow it. But my way isn't working too well either. What kind of foods do you eat? You're doing amazing! Could use some advise.

After my last fill, I was craving Protein and couldn't tolerate solids for a few days. My husband made me a chocolate milkshake with low fat ice cream, skim milk, and a squirt of low cal choc Syrup. Now I crave them daily and I never wanted milkshakes before the band. I have been having a small one each night but I don't think that's what has slowed the weight loss down. I know my portions are still too big. The other problem is I have to wet all of my food with gravy, ketchup, mayo, or butter or it will get stuck. If it wasn't for this stuck problem, I would be doing a lot better. How have you been doing after your last fill?

Wow! He is restrictive. My problem with that is that the LapBand should allow you to eat everything in smaller quantities. However, we are all different in how are bodies are. Mine seems to react well to high Protein, fruits & veggies and lots of cheese.

My typical diet is this:

Breakfast: 8am 2 eggs with cheese & sausage (turkey) or Quaker Weight Control Maple & Brown Sugar. 1/2 an orange or bananaThis usually fills me up until 12:30 or 1pm

Lunch: Low carb tortilla with turkey, mayo, lettuce cheese, almonds, 1/2 orange or 1/2 a banana.

Snack: yogurt or SF/FF choc. pudding

Dinner: 2-3 oz protein, 1/2 cup veggies or salad and some type of 1/2 cup carb (i.e., mashed potato or rice with gravy).

I drink 2 K20 24oz. waters a day. I like the ice tea one the best.

If I am super hungry I might eat some cheese with RF Wheat Thins or have 100 calorie snack packs.

Again, this might not work for everyone but it does for me. It is kind of like South Beach but not as restrictive. I have recently been making quiches. If you like to cook tryout some of these recipes at Kalyn's Kitchen: Recipe Favorites

I have found her website awesome with great recipes.

Good luck!

Cindy

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to try some of them. I wish my doc was more realistic. When I visit with the nurse practitioners who do the fills, they always ask what I'm eating. If I mention rice or bread, they remind me that it's not on the diet. And I love Soup. It's filling and doesn't get stuck. I try to eat low salt soup whenever possible. Even the group meetings aren't as supportive as I would like. So much talk about what we're not supposed to be eating. I only go about once a month if that. Our doctor wants us to lose the weight as fast as possible according to the nurses. Maybe it's good for his reputation and brings in lots of business?

I need to find a plan that is high Protein, some carbs and something I can stick to long term.

Thanks Cindy!

My doctor wants us on this super strict diet. It's pretty much the Atkins or South Beach. Absolutely no carbs except in 1-2 pieces of fruit. ...

After my last fill, I was craving Protein and couldn't tolerate solids for a few days. My husband made me a chocolate milkshake with low fat ice cream, skim milk, and a squirt of low cal choc Syrup. Now I crave them daily and I never wanted milkshakes before the band.

Cindy,

Your doc is tough. I think what you just described is the problem with those super restrictive diets. You CRAVE something that you can't have and your body freaks out when it is exposed to it and can't listen to the normal signals to stop. If you let yourself have moderate amounts of carbs (along with your protien) you probably wouldn't have that response.

However, there are obviously a million ways to approach weight loss and I am no expert (or I wouldn't be where I am now). As Hollyberries says - keep those chins up (LOL) - you will get there.

Thanks Foofy!

I'm re-motivated. I'm going to try to follow an old weight watchers diet I went on years ago and did well. Not the points. This one allowed a certain amount of Proteins, carbs, and fats per day. My friend found this old plan and we're going to get started on it.

Cindy, I think it's terrible that your doc is wanting an account of what you eat. I got this band so I could eat normal foods but just not as much of it. It's not fair to go through life not eating certain things. I got the band so I wouldn't have to follow a specific diet. Yes, I'll definitely eat less - the key for me - but I'm still going to eat. Healthier is definitely better, of course, but I don't think it's fair for them to impose a diet on you. If diets worked, we wouldn't be here. Anyway, I'm not bashing on you, but taking out my frustration on your doc!

When I visit my doctor's office, the first thing they give me is a form to fill out that asks if we're having trouble swallowing, heartburn, etc. but it also askes what we typically eat for break, lunch, dinner, and Snacks. I actually lie when I fill that part out as I don't want to be scolded. I never see the doc anymore, just his nurse practioners who counsel and do the fills. They always ask about the diet and if I'm following it. I think with another small fill and really watching what I eat will get the scale moving again.

Cindyg1212, your doctors office sounds like mine. I pretty much am expected to see the nurse practioner and not the doc. I really don't care much for her. She's pretty critical. She's obviously been slim her whole life and doesn't have much compassion for those of us who struggle. She would get a little brassy when she'd ask me what I had eaten for the past week. I'd tell her what I'd had for the last few days. I'd be honest. She'd say something to the effect, "you shouldn't even be having that". What the heck is that about? Like some of the others I'd like to be able to eat some of the "normal sized" people foods such as 1/2 of a bagel for Breakfast and 1 slice of pizza, plain, for lunch. I would have normally had the whole bagel and maybe 3 or 4 slices of pizza. I was thinking that I had done well. NOT. She made me feel like a failure. I was very sad. She left and the doc came in a short while later. I think she was disgusted with me. He scolded me some, in a more sensitive way though. I understand what they're trying to do but for pete's sake it's a learning process for us. That happened a couple of months ago. I'm going back for another fill this coming Tuesday and you can bet your life that I'm going to request the doc do the fill not the nurse practioner. I don't want some woman with an attitude toward me coming at me with no needle! haha. I now have 7.5cc's and really think that I can go to 8.5cc's. I'm not sure though. Maybe I should just go up to 8cc's and see how that goes. I'll talk with the doc. Thanks for letting me vent guys! Oh, my banding date was Nov. 5th. :-) Take care, Dianne