Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 9 months p/o & still no restriction! Is this band not going to work for me??

Queen Jane!!! Hey! Yes, of course I remember you! You helped me so much to not feel alone, and yet I never really wanted any company along the "forever to work route" ..ha! How I know I'm at my "sweet spot" is that I can still eat (the amounts they tell us we're suppose to be eating)... and the difference is that now I'm "satisfied" with this amount and I stop. No more thinking...OK..what else can I have?....or worse just keep going until I'm stuffed...like always before! Now that I'm full on smaller amounts I don't stay hungry and I don't obsess about food. Obviously, I know that the work is never over for me.....I will always have to do my part, but now I finally have the tool I paid for and it's working to "help" me. Yea!!! Also, I am blessed that I can actually eat pretty much any type of food. I find I don't really "want" some of the stuff I shouldn't have, but maybe that is coming from my current "motivation" to do it right now that I have "restriction"!! Again ...... yea!!!! (forgive me for going on and on it's been a long time coming folks!!)

I also decided to do what I fought for so long and "journel" my eating. I had done this with Weight Watchers for "years and years" and was hoping with the band I wouldn't have to, but with all the talk about how successful this is, I wanted to do everything I could, so I started this again and I believe it is making me "accountable" and is actually helping me also!

I hope and pray that your "re-snap" is the answer for you!!! Please keep us all informed! As for the not enough/too much restriction..I can only speak for me of course, but mine is great just the way it is now. I know if I over-eat it "hurts" (know what you mean!!), so that keeps me in check and yet I'm satisfied so my band says "enough dummy-stop" and I'm full and happy! Life is good and I'm so thrilled!!! It was great to hear from you....keep up the good work and let me hear from you!

For those who already have heard this please just go to the next entry as I am just going to repeat my "One of a kind" story for Karen. I really don't mind telling it because it is part of the freak show I affectionately call my life--tee hee!

I had a Lapband "installed" November 15, 2007. With great efficacy, I had fill upon fill upon fill until finally in late April when my band was at capacity, the doc asked for xrays. He was getting just as frustrated as I given all his signs were telling him things were great, but, I had NO RESTRICTION. Long story short--my band came "un-snapped" or literally came apart. No one knows how or why it happened. My doc says he has never found anything like this in his research, of course the drug company assures me that it has happened before but only rarely-they paid for the "re-snapping". It has been a bit difficult as one gets very psyched up to work with the band and live the new life using the new tool and welp almost 7 months later (to the day) I am starting from square one. The good news, as stated earlier, is I have gaurded optimism because I think I actually have some restriction. Am not going to tell you I am nearly as careful and watchful as I was the first time but I am being forced to get back in the right mind set --which is just exactly what I wanted in the begining. I am pretty stubborn in my old very bad habits and needed some physical reminders how I needed to change my ways.

So, Karen, that is the story of the snapped, unsnapped and re-snap.

Edited by Queen Jane

I just wrote an e-mail stating the same thing. I have had two fills and nothing has changed. I am not losing weight any more and eating too much. After reading your post I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself and go on the treadmill.

Queen Jane: I have a few questions if you don;t mind answering them: Do you know what brand band you have?

Did you say the band manufacturer paid for the second surgery to relock your band?

If yes, they were willing to pay even though they did not know if the band was defective or the Dr. never locked it during the original surgery?

I ask all these questions because I have been told my band is also unlocked. I have the same symptoms, lots of fill in my band but no restriction.

When your Dr. looked at your x-ray what made him know the band was unlocked?

Thanks for any info.

Okay to answer shortgal's questions:

I have the latest and supposedly greatest Allergan product--It holds 14 cc's-the larger band is supposed to allow a greater weight loss. It has a modified "slide-lock" which was created "at the request of doctors, to allow them to easily adjust or remove the band". Apparently, previous models had a latch that required a tool to lock and unlock.

You asked what made my doc know the band was unlocked--On the xrays, you could see the band laying wide open. It was almost full-13.75 cc's-so as he was filling, it was just opening further and further until the time the xray was taken-- it was a straight line across the pix where there should have been a circular line. I saw the xray's myself--there was no question what had happened.

My doctor's office (bless Andrea, Med. Assistant and Dr. Brown) pursued the drug company paying for it for me. Yes, they paid for the surgery center and my surgeon did not charge.....The doctor had documented, in the surgery notes specifically that the band was "locked" (physically you can see when it is in the locked position-they showed me a band). It was not Dr. error--when they agreed to pay the bill, the only stipulation is their rep. had to be in the room. (No problem--bring in a party to watch!!!!!) I will also say tthe drug company did not take responsibility for the problem--but they paid anyway.

During the "re-snap", my doc took many many many pix to verify the before, during and after fix. I understand they did not replace the band as it did not appear defective either...

If they have not taken xrays yet, I think it may be worth your time to get one....It is extremely visible--

Finally, shortgal, the thing that was probably the most difficult for me was that I was taking blame for my lack of restriction, then for it coming undone. I can't tell you how many nights I woke up feeling so badly about the whole situation. Well, let's just say, finally 7 1/2 months later, I let go of the guilt because the doc's office assured me IT WAS NOT ME!!! so my friend don't hold onto those thoughts---IT IS NOT YOU EITHER!!!

It's hard to handle but hang in--it gets better--and the surgery the second time around is much much much easier than the first!!!

Edited by Queen Jane

Thanks for the info. I have the allergan band as well but the smaller 10cc band. On my x-ray the band look round but my Dr. says the Diameter is larger than it should be.

My Dr. is not being cooperative in saying that the band is the problem or helping me resolve this with the band people. He wants to bill my ins co for the second procedure ( I was self pay for the band) but I will have a deductible and copay that could cost me up to $2000. This is after I have already paid $18,000 for the original surgery.

I know I am getting screwed big time here. I just don;t know what to do. I have a surgery date of Aug 5th. If I start trouble now with the manufacturer AND my Dr. then it will delay the surgery.

I just know I should NOT be paying for this second surgery and I am very angry about this.

I knew I didn;t have restriction. I did lose weight but I know now that it was simply because I followed the Dr. instructions. I followed the liquid diet after surgery and everytime I got a fill I was on liquids for two days followed by soft food for two days. I was fearful of getting food stuck so I proceeded very carefully once I tried food after a fill.

Of course, I have not lost for several months now and would have lost more if I had restriction.

What state are you in? I'm in CT.

Our original surgery dates were only a couple weeks apart. When was your revision surgery?

There is another person on the forum that this happened to, but when they went in to lock her band ( she does not what brand band she has) they puntured the tubing. They found this out later after they closed her and started new fills. She will now need a third surgery! This is one of my concerns, so I am glad to hear they just were able to successfully lock your band. Do you have any fill in the band now?

Thanks for the response, had no clue what you were talking about. First time i've ever heard of such. Good luck this go round.

My fix was June 12. I have heard about tubing being punctured, but

Dr. Brown filled and removed several times to be sure it was all working properly. I know he did because I had 7 little punctures after the surgery in a lovely little circle to prove it.

I have had one fill and as stated earlier, am cautiously optimistic because I do think I have some restriction--but never really had any so don't really know what I am feeling--kind of like being a virgin 2x's!

I too paid for mine--my ins. was ridiculous. I understand your reluctance to upset the apple cart but girlie--no way should you have to pay for this. I am appalled that he is not even going to try the drug company!!!! Maybe you could share my craziness with him to let him know it has happened before-- Is he going to charge you for his services? Have you had this revision pre-approved through your ins.? It took Allergan just 2 weeks to decide to pay.....

I have lost a grand total of 56 lbs--but like you mostly as a result of trying to play the game by the rules....Honestly in April and May I just let go and began to gain rapidly--duh--and have lost all and then some since the June 12 date.

I live in southern Colorado.

Queen Jane....Shortgal.....talk about some valuable information that needs to be shared!! You both have helped bring a potential problem out in the open. I (and I'm sure many others) are definitely interested in your progress. QJ...It just HAS to work for you this time! You have been through so much for so long, you deserve it! I love your attitude and fortitude! I certainly understand your battle and journey and I'm rooting for your success!! Shortgal too!! Much luck!!