Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 3 Days ago.....Was it the right thing to do???

I have to say I am consistently a little shocked a the response from many people just post-surgery. I mean...HELLO? It's surgery, it's an invasion of the body. What exactly did you THINK was going to happen? This is not getting your teeth cleaned folks. Your body spaces were violated several different ways, with hands and equipment and gasses going into orifices cut with a knife into your abdomen. You are not supposed to feel like running a track race. You are not supposed to feel on top of the world. This is a NORMAL process called healing and recuperation. It doesn't happen overnight, though it does happen pretty fast. Everybody needs to chill out and realize that it's gonna take time...time for everything...time to get rid of the gas pains, time to get rid of the sensitive port site, time to fight the coming hunger, time to eat nasty mushy food, time to retrain your eating habits, and last of all, TIME to get to proper restriction. All things come to those who WAIT. This is a process, not a light switch.

Thank you everyone for your support. I know I am just having Post Op Blues. Thanks again I enjoyed reading everything that was wrote and it made me feel better.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

:lol:

You are all so brave and honest in your writings! The support is amazing. I have not yet made the decision to join The Band. I am learning all I can. But I know that if that day comes, it will be easier because of the knowledge and encouragement of all of you. I know you'll be there--you understand all of the pain that we have experienced with the pounds. My goal is to have ONE day in the future that I do not think at all about weight. Possible?

I was just banded 3 days ago on 3/5/08. At first I was so excited. Now as I look at my body and the incisions and swelling I am wondering if I did the right thing. I am not experiencing much pain except I think where my port is. As for being hungry, yes and no. I can't tell if I am hungry or nauseaed. I sometimes feel like I am short of breath but I don't really have any chest pain or anything. I am having some back pain which I assume is from the gas.

I just feel like maybe I should of tried harder before doing this...I don't know I guess I just have the post surgery blues and need some support to get through it. Thanks for listening. :thumbup:

I hear you. I was just banded 4 days ago 3/6/08. I was not excited at all. I was crying as I was checking into the hospital. As I was in the operating room, i remember wanting to say stop i don't want this... i finally today got out of bed...i have been feeling soooooo sorry for myself. I haven't told a lot of people so it's more difficult cause there are only a handful of people i could talk to. My husband doesn't understand why I won't tell my friends to get their support. But they are all thin and think they are fat so I didn't think they would undrstand. I feel like 9 months pregnant I am so bloated. i started regretting my decision the second i came out of the operation room and was a awake and feeling groggy. It wasn't even the short term i was worried about but the long term. Now i look at myself in the mirror and really wonder if I should've tried another diet yet before this (as my husband agrees) . Today my paid has subsided but I am experiencing pain where my port is, Although i did wear a bra first. i am not really drinking any Soups because the smell is making me nauseated. Hungry? i don't think i am hungry BUT I REALLY miss eating...i can't even watch a food commercial and my husband had to have lunch at work before coming home. I am having a lot of back pain which I am also assume is from the gas or not being able to move so much. I am sooooo afraid of coughing. I have my frist appointment tomorrow...

Sorry if i sound like a broken record...but i wish i tried another diet. i miss carrying my 2 year old who is so active. My husband had to leave work early to put him to work for the past few days...

I miss eating and being normal....HELP????

Bibo

Are there any local support groups in your area? Does your doctor have a therapist you can speak to about your relationship with food? What is normal exactly? Being able to run through the drive-thru and order a Big Mac and a large order of fries? Maybe that has become normal in our culture but it's not healthy at all. We have become a fast food world in a fast food mindset. Even regular home cooking. I would make these big delicious meals and I would absolutely stuff myself. Two helpings! Two platefuls! At that rate, I wasn't going to be able to survive to see my grandchildren! There comes a time when you have to decide which is more important and why food has such control over your life. Food for us is very much like booze to an alcoholic. It controls our lives and it wrecks our health because we can't seem to consume it in moderation. You say you can't pick up your two year old right now. At the rate you were going, were you going to be around to see him/her graduate from high school? How many diets have you tried and failed at? I too sometimes think I should have given diet and exercise one more try. Well to be honest, I am dieting now! I have to watch my carbs and my calories. I have to make good food choices. But the one thing my band helps me with is quantity. Even if I do indulge in some mashed potatoes, I can't consume nearly the amount I used to! I am in a partnership with my band. It can't do it without me and I can't do it without my band.

It definitely sounds like you have not come to terms with the changes you are going to have to make in order to be successful. This is a drastic lifestyle change and commitment. But it's a commitment to yourself and to your family. You're not going to be any good to them if you cannot move around or have diabetes, sleep apnea or any of the other comorbidities associated with obesity. You and I deserve to be healthy and happy people, not someone who is a slave to food. Find someone you can talk to locally to help you through this transition.

I just got my band on 3/6 and yesterday was the worst felt pain with everything I put down no matter how slowly I took in even Water, the gas was the problem. I am feeling better today got up with daughter and have taken all meds and Protein working on Jello now I think my wife thinks I am a wimp!!! I just did not feel well on sat.:smile2: but hopefully today will be much better:biggrin:

Has anyone else experienced soreness in their calves? It feels like I took a two hour step aerobics class and I don't understand that pain. All the other aches I have I understand, but I can't figure out the leg pain.

xray,

You have 124 lb to lose and think you should have tried harder? come on, girl, haven't you tried time and time again already, and it didn't work?

We all have doubts at first, but for most of us this is the only thing that is going to work. God forbid that you wait until you are my age to do something about yourself. You now can't eat hamburgers, but you can spend your life being healthy and without experiencing the humiliation and prejudice that society heaps on fat people. Sounds like a great trade-off to me!

I had the post banding blues on my 3rd day also, by the 5th day they had passed and I was once again excited and finally losing weight (after gaining the first 3). Should we all have tried harder? perhaps, but we've got it now so lets take this tool and do the best we can with it. I also (on my own) added in some real food the 5th day -scrambled egg, mashed potatoes - it REALLY helped - just don't over do it, remember: 2 oz portions and chew.

I have a question--

How do you take your medications? I take a few a day, some in capsule form. (hope to decrease that!)

I am so grateful for this board and all of you!

I've had major buyer's remorse! What the heck have I done to myself and what am I going to do with this port bump. And worse of all I can't get any comfort from my best friends "food & wine". But boy have I had a real wake up call about how I had been living my life and the challenge ahead for me is how to substitute the evil twins for healthy alternatives especially activities.

Snowbird,

You are right, I have tried time and time again and you are correct they didn't work. I am sure I spent more money on trying then this surgery actually cost (even though insurance is paying for it).

I am looking forward to people not looking at me as the fat girl and looking me as a normal human being that I am. I am feeling better about my decision and so glad to have this site to talk to people.

Thanks again

xray,

You have 124 lb to lose and think you should have tried harder? come on, girl, haven't you tried time and time again already, and it didn't work?

We all have doubts at first, but for most of us this is the only thing that is going to work. God forbid that you wait until you are my age to do something about yourself. You now can't eat hamburgers, but you can spend your life being healthy and without experiencing the humiliation and prejudice that society heaps on fat people. Sounds like a great trade-off to me!

I was bended the same day and am also having the post op regrets and doubts. I am feeling better today and getting around pretty good. I just keep thinking about all the difficult times that are going to be behind me now. Anxious about flying, eating out with friends and booths (you all know what I mean) and just the everyday feelings of why me? I wonder if I should have given it one more attempt on my own. But I am thinking positive and looking forward to all the wonderful adventures ahead. Thats what I say today but I am sure it will change daily. But lets focus on today.

Keep positive and you are not in this alone.

Im getting band on 4/11, feel so scared specially about pain and nausea, will Dr. give u any meds to help us?

Yes, they should give you medications for both to take home.