Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my 1st fill -- need advice from old timers

I had my surgery 11/12/07 and I am down 33 lbs. Doc put 3cc on 2/26/08. I did 2 days liquids and now on soft foods. But the only things that don't hurt are Soup, pudding and Jello. I tried scrabbled eggs and mashed potatoes, both hurt. Is it normal to hurt like you just had surgery again after the fill for a week or so??

Thanks

Erica :w00t:

I was banded a few weeks after you, but I've had six fills. Usually my fills feel tight for a couple days after, I think because of swelling and then it loosens up a bit. I just had a fill a few days ago and just started on regular foods. Just had b'fast (cereal) and that went down ok.

Since you can get liquids down at least you won't get dehydrated, but if things don't get better by Monday you might want to call the Dr's office and let them know. A small unfill might be needed so you can eat regular food.

3cc's at one time, might just have been too much for you. Everyone is so different.

My Dr gave 2cc's first fill and then 1cc each fill after but I go as often as every two weeks if the fill hasn't gotten me to restriction. The last fill is the closest I've felt to having a good restriction so far. I have a 10cc band.

Shortgal,

I had first fill on 2/27, and though wow, this is tight for the first day and then now it feels like there is no more restriction than I had before. When they did the first fill they said that when the did the surgery I had 3.2 ccs in and so the total amount that they put in for the first fill was 4.4 ccs. I am thinking I need to call and go in again, how many total ccs do you have in, and tell me if this is normal, while eating, I can feel the food going through the stoma? I though we were supposed to eat, fill up the little pouch and then it would go down slowly as you started digesting? I actually even think I was going longer between meals before the fill? Also, how often did you go in for fills?

No one told how many much in my band after surgery. All I know for sure is the 3cc I just got. After surgery I had no problems, actually got to go to purees after 7 days ( not 14) and soft foods after 21/2 wks after surgery. This has been the worst. I only vomited once before, now I done at least twice a day.

thanks for all the help guys ... it means alot to find someone to talk to and run things by.

Erica :w00t:

Vomiting is not good for the band. Maybe stay on foods you can tolerate that don't make you vomit unitl you can see or talk to the DR.

I had my first fill 2/26 felt no restriction. Ate solids I worry that there wasn't enough 'fill'. I go back in a month.

I had my first fill 2/26 felt no restriction. Ate solids I worry that there wasn't enough 'fill'. I go back in a month.

I know how frustrating it is waiting for restriction. It could take several fills until you get there, it all depends on how much your Dr. puts in at each fill appt. and how long between fills.

I thought I'd never get there and now after last fill, I'm pretty close. I can feel some, but maybe not enough difference, still working on letting my head catch up to the signals from the band.

Keep counting your calories ( or eating recomended portions) and track daily Protein until you get the right fill. Remember no drinking one hour after eating.

Still feel restricked, but was able to eat some mashed potatoes and grilled fish... Could feel going through ... very little pain ... I was only able to eat about 1/2 cup over an hour. That was around 12:30pm and still not hungry at 6:15pm ... Yeah .....:eek:

Erica

weight.png

Try staying on liquids and really soft food for a couple more days. A 3cc fill is quite aggressive and your stomach might need some extra time to adjust to it. These post-fill recommendations vary a lot from one doctor to another. I've had 9 fills over the past 3 yrs. and usually do 1 week of liquids and mushies after each fill.

niki

Went back to soft foods for several days... I figured out today what I thought was vomiting was really PBs.

Thanks for all the help...glad I found all of you ...

Erica

Every time I get a fill, it's very difficult for almost a week... I have tight restriction. When I get the fills I know it will take a while to eat solid foods, and I know which ones I can tolerate at first. You do NOT want to PB though... try to eat slowly, eat soft foods, and then in a few more days, increase the consistency of the food you eat. Take it slow.

I am 6 weeks post op and i am getting my first fill tomorrow. can anyone tell me what pb-ing is, and what is sliming???? :thumbup:

Pb is productive burp. You burp but food comes up. Sliming is an overproduction of salivia your body produces when something is stuck in the stoma. Your body is trying to soften it to go down.

Depends on your level of restriction (usually, there can be exceptions) if these things happen.

I have PB'd once. I didn't chew a blackberry very well and it went down the wrong way and felt stuck. It hurt and then "burp" and up it came.

I hardly ever slime. I don't have or want restriction that is so tight, that that happens often. I prefer to know with more reliability that food , especially the right food, will go down. We all know and have been advised that even with tight restriction foods we shouldn't eat often, like ice cream or Cookies will usually go down fine.

I need more fill to get to my preferred restriction level, but I want solid food to go down becasue I know that will stay in my pouch and keep me satisfied longer and becasue i want to live and eat like a normal person.

Don;t worry the first fill usually does not give you tight restriction, but the first few days it might be tighter becasue of some swelling from the fill itself. That's why many Dr's recommend liquids for a day or two after the fill. ( Mind does, followed by two days of soft). You'll figure it all out.