Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

I make a Protein shake inspired by one of the folks here - she makes hers with chocolate SLimfast Optima, a banana, Peanut Butter and Protein Powder, I do mine with premade vanilla SlimFast Optima, the low carb stuff.

I have that shake down to an art! I freeze ripe bananas, so they'll always be ready to go, and keep the blender cup and blade in the freezer too, so they're as cold as possible. About half an hour to an hour before I'm going to make the shake, I stick the can of SlimFast in the freezer to ensure that the shake will be as dense and shake-like as possible - my goal is for a straw to be able to stand up in the shake, so density is key.

I also add a couple tablespoons of whey Protein powder, and a big pinch of salt - the salt is key for flavour, I think.

It really has been a fun project, perfecting that shake. I bought an Oster Professional Blender ($75 at Amazon) that feels like an outboard motor on my countertop - that thing could blend rocks!

But the best thing is the Oster Blend'n'Go cup, an insulated 18 ounce or so cup that you use on the blender instead of the normal blender container. I fill the cup with the frozen banana, SlimFast, protein powder and Peanut Butter and pinch of salt, then attach the blade assembly tightly to the cup, turn it upside down and plug it into the blender. You blend, and then you go! It's so great!

It truly is a miracle of modern science.

Wow, sounds good! We don't have this slimfast optima business though. Is it kinda like Optifast? So I would get a similar result if I made a shake on, say, half a chocoltae Optifast shake, plus banana, peanut butter, whey protein powder etc?

Wow, sounds good! We don't have this slimfast optima business though. Is it kinda like Optifast? So I would get a similar result if I made a shake on, say, half a chocoltae Optifast shake, plus banana, Peanut Butter, whey Protein powder etc?

I know that optifast is meant to be "nutritionally complete" so I'd use half that and just add extra bits, Water it out with some milk?

Maybe i'll just have a play around. I've just woken up, and as usual I'm nowhere near hungry. I need to go grocery shopping and stuff. 'Sall good.

I do something similar with vanilla Protein powder, frozen berries and skim milk. I tried to toss a few ice cubes in but it just makes too much for me to have before I get full.

Fenton is it booming by you? The wind is really something right now, I think a tree limb just came down in the back yard. Woo Hoo firewood!!

I just have to brag about what I did today....

I was at a neighbor's house with the kids. There were a total of 3 families there. All the adults besides myself are slim sporty folks. Well, my friend C drags out the huge PVC pipe about a 3 foot diameter and about 6 feet long. She uses it to log roll across her lawn....yes, you read correctly she gets up on the thing....and as she walks....it rolls. I wanted to try it so badly....

I really wanted to get myself some alone time with that big old pipe....I slowly approach it while the other adults are tossing around a ball. I push my body against it...trying to see if it will smash under my weight if I actually find a way to get on top. I find it seems pretty strong. I walk away.

About an hour later I decide to go for it. I approach the pipe. I try to climb on...it rolls away, try again...same result, by now everyone has noticed me courting the big pipe. My friend C attempts to hold it for me. She's half my size...it really is laughable. I attempt to climb on, it rolls away....I'm getting desperate and having the best time.

I have my 7 yr old and my 4 yr old come by to also hold onto this monster pipe and I climb right up. I feel like I am on top of the world! I take two steps and fall backwards off the dang thing and even roll around on the grass laughing for a while. Now everyone is really enjoing this....no one is laughing AT me or judging me.

I climb up one more time and I roll that pipe a couple of steps before it gets away from me....I did it! I did it! I rolled that awesome pipe! I did something I would never have even considered doing in front of people 37 pounds ago.

I am so proud of myself!

Christine

Amanda...no thunder here. I am on the south shore of Long Island. Where are you? I hope the heat wave breaks soon.

Christine

It was! A great summer storm, all flashes and booming and FINALLY rain! Run, poor little NYU students, run! For tonight you shall experience a soaking...

A-Dub - I'm not sure what's in Optifast, but I imagine it's similar to SLimfast Optima. SFO (the Protein drink, not the airport) comes in premade cans (if you're lazy) 180 cals, a buttload of Vitamins and 12 g of Protein. I daresay this Optifast of which you speak is similar - read the label! Adding banana adds flavour and texture (esp when frozen!) - but it also adds calories. Adding the Protein powder adds protein, and a small amount of worthy calories. Adding the Peanut Butter adds flavour and calories, and some protein, but not enough to permit easy rationalization. Adding the salt adds flavour - and sodium, so people who've been told to avoid salt might want to avoid it. But still! It's yummier with salt.

So, yeah, interfering with the original drink's nutritional DNA incurs a significant caloric hit, but for me it's worthwhile - after all, I'm still burning 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day. I think it's tasty and filling, and it's nutritionally sound - I get a good four to five hours of Go time after eating it.

Lisa....CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are doing really, really well.

I hope to get under 250 by next week. I have not been there for years!

Christine

Yay, Christine, you pipe-riding demon!

That's fantastic! I really (heart) that story...

Well done for persevering, too. I can imagine the trepidation you must have had about whether or not the pipe would have supported your weight, and the fear of crashing in front of these people, and of seeming like a ridiculous fat person who failed - so well done, completely ballsy of you! And I'm SO glad you were rewarded for your courage and persistence.

Best

N

S

V

EVER!!!

Christine- Im on the North Shore in Nassau. I think you should get yourself a pipe too. I used to try to stand on logs in the lake back home. Thats really hard and they have bark for traction. I can't imagine a slick pipe. God knows what Fenton will say about it (F:you will never live down hula hoop)

Edited by ajoneen
I should reallyhave spelled out the Fenton before the you.

Banded March, 28, 2008 !

I think it's great to have a March thread. I need all the support I can get. I get really get down somedays and all of you pick me right back up. How do I get straight to our March thread. I'm not very good at this. Thanks sherbear

Thanks Fenton and Amanda....I think a lot of it had to do with the people that were there. They are thin and athletic, but I KNEW they would never make fun of the fat chick trying to ride the pipe. In fact when they tried it themselves (about an hour after my attempts), they had an easier time getting on, but could not stay on for even the few steps I got out of it....that just made it all the better.

Thanks for being a part of my cheering section!

Christine

Christine,

Your story gave me a big smile....and a great reminder about why we're doing this.....it's not all about the smaller sizes and nicer booties.....it's about what's INSIDE and the confidence that our accomplishments are giving us!

YOU ROCK (and roll....hee hee)

It was! A great summer storm, all flashes and booming and FINALLY rain! Run, poor little NYU students, run! For tonight you shall experience a soaking...

A-Dub - I'm not sure what's in Optifast, but I imagine it's similar to SLimfast Optima. SFO (the Protein drink, not the airport) comes in premade cans (if you're lazy) 180 cals, a buttload of Vitamins and 12 g of Protein. I daresay this Optifast of which you speak is similar - read the label! Adding banana adds flavour and texture (esp when frozen!) - but it also adds calories. Adding the protein powder adds protein, and a small amount of worthy calories. Adding the Peanut Butter adds flavour and calories, and some protein, but not enough to permit easy rationalization. Adding the salt adds flavour - and sodium, so people who've been told to avoid salt might want to avoid it. But still! It's yummier with salt.

So, yeah, interfering with the original drink's nutritional DNA incurs a significant caloric hit, but for me it's worthwhile - after all, I'm still burning 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day. I think it's tasty and filling, and it's nutritionally sound - I get a good four to five hours of Go time after eating it.

Sounds good, I'll give it a try. I might also try one from scratch, using half milk, half Water as a base instead of optifast. Banana, sugar free choc Syrup, Peanut Butter, whey protein powder, frogurt. I'll keep you posted!