Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

My scale has been stuck the past couple of weeks also, but I did manage to lose 2.8 lbs last week for a total loss since surgery 11.2 lbs plus 20 pre-op for a grand total of 31.2 lbs so I'm happy. I decided Monday when I weighed not to weight again for a week (hope I can make it that long) and hope the scale moves then.

I've been hungry a lot more the last few days more so than I have been. I'm not due for a fill til 4/25 and I'm ready.

For people who are watching their carbs, how many carbs are you trying to stay at during the day. Mine vary and I really don't know what my target carb rate should be. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My calorie content is still averaging 500-700 calories a day and I'm on second stage of mushies where I can eat chicken, beef, pork, Peanut Butter, etc.

Congratulations Starbux! There is a thread somewhere under March 2008 with a list of everyone banded in March and the date they were banded on.

Hey I was banded on March 27th. I stayed on the liquids for the first week, puree ont he second week but instead of puree this week my confession is that I started soft foods already. I have no side ffects, and I feel great. Has anyone else done that? I am so worried that when I go in for my filling there will be a problem. :confused:.

Hey, Starbux - welcome aboard!

Markella, one of the first things you'll see if you read through this thread is that different MDs have different recommendations for how long people should be on different diets. Your doctor has his reasons for recommending that particular approach with the band he's installed in you, and ideally you should try to follow his guidelines. You're out about 3 weeks now, so you've done quite a bit of healing; you probably won't damage the band.

But the guidelines are, I think, as much about changing eating patterns as they are about protecting the band. Well, almost. The advantage of the liquid diet is that it is a way of resting your healing band, breaking your old bad eating habits and allowing your stomach to shrink a bit. I think a number of us, if we're worrying that we've overdone it a bit, return from time to time to the liquid diet to get back into the groove.

Anyway, if you are going to eat the "wrong" things, you should try not to eat too much of them, and try not to eat them too quickly...

After my Weekend of Steak, I'm stalled this week.

Although, to be frank, I don't know if that's because of the steak, or because I lost so much in the days leading up to the Weekend of Steak, and this is just a natural re-equilibration of whatever. I'm not worried; I'm keeping my intake low and am more active than I've been for a long while.

Indeed, just yesterday, I suddenly realized that, without thinking, I'd walked to the top of a hill that had always made me puff and pant. And I hadn't noticed it at all, or even thought about having to walk up the hill. And I walked it FAST.

Tomorrow is my six week week anniversary - uh, forgive me, *bandiversary*. I'm all healed, so tomorrow I'm going to start doing yoga again, something I haven't done for probably three years. Last time I did it I was about 50 lbs lighter, but the practice is fairly forgiving. We shall see!

Congratulations Starbux! There is a thread somewhere under March 2008 with a list of everyone banded in March and the date they were banded on.

Thanks, I just found a thread on banders 3/25.

I've been thinking a lot about Paul McKenna's guidelines for weight loss. I watched the entire I CAN MAKE YOU THIN series, and I believe he's spot on about the process, particularly in his Golden Rules:

1. When you're hungry, eat

2. When you eat, eat what you want

3. Eat consciously

4. When you're full, stop

There's a whole lot of stuff in there, but those are the guidelines that I think are key for losing weight, and they echo the guidelines in the CAMP program Harley posted previousl. I need to be more conscientious about eating consciously.

This morning, I followed rules 1 and 2 - I was hungry, and I wanted to eat what I wanted, so I bought a loaf of seeded wheat bread, and some lemon curd (what I really wanted was marmalade, but it's out of season). I had a piece of toast for Breakfast, with French butter and lemon curd. And I loved it.

But later I regretted it a little. It was v. tasty, but I didn't eat it consciously enough - I satisfied a craving, but I didn't focus on the food. McKenna's guideline (also encountered in various eating guidelines issued to bandsters) is to take your bite, put your fork or spoon down, then chew for a count of at least 20 before taking your next bite.

And I didn't do that - I just, you know, ATE it. So I wasn't happy about that.

I picked up some Golden Rules from the NYU banding people, and one of them was, after swallowing your food, count to 50 before taking the next mouthful.

So I was disappointed that I just wolfed down my precious piece of toast. And I'm also a bit sorry I didn't go for more Protein in my Breakfast intake.

Or even ANY protein!

I shall concentrate more at lunch.

FENTON, Thank you for your advise. I am going to take it easy until my filling. I did great on my pre surgery diet but found it harder to stick with it after surgery, that is weird right? my scars are healing up good too except for that golf bal bump under my port, which I have been reading is normal right? I will be getting my first fill on May 6th.

I think that golf ball bump IS your port!

I don't think it's weird that you did better on the pre-surgery than after - I think we have a big, scary motivation coming up, and that helps us Do the Right Thing. Also it was easier for me because when you're on liquids, you KNOW what you can and can't have, and it's much harder the cheat while pretending that you're not.

Also: be wary of my advice! I started at 473 pounds, so I can lose weight eating a lot more than I should! What works for me may not work for everybody.

Hello Everyone -

This is my first post although I have been lurking for several weeks. Fenton, my bandster aniversary is the same as yours.

I'm a little nervous today. Tomorrow will be my first fill, normally you would think that would be a happy day, however..... A few days after my surgery, I was diagnsised with an infection at the port site incision (internal,outside incision looks fine.) I have gone to an infusion center daily ever since, yes thats rights every day for 1 1/2 hours for 5 1/2 weeks. The infectious desease Dr. (the name is scary enough) tells me he just wants to make sure that the infection is gone, so they don't have to remove the port. He is covering me for 2 more days to make sure I have antibiotics before and after the day of the fill. Who me, nervous? Stay calm, count to 10, go to my happy place, try not to do any emotional eating (yeah right!!) I just can't believe I have made it this far and they might have to take it out! Oh, did I mention I'm a self pay.

Wish me luck, I need some good carma for the next few days!!!

Sorry to vent on my first post but I just had to get it out.

Ahhh... shucks, thank you so much for the Birthday shoutout, Chica, mi amiga! :crying: I didn't even see your post yesterday, as I was selfishly indulging myself in Birthday celebrations (didn't even cheat btw!:biggrin2:). You are so right, Chica. This was the best present I've EVER given myself! I can't wait to be posting on this board this time next year and hearing all about the wonderful successes of the Shrinking Shamrocks! We should ALL be so proud of ourselves. :crying:

Hey, HopeinApril, thank you for your Birthday wishes as well and Happy Belated Birthday to YOU as well! :biggrin2: Did your parents also refer to your birthday as the "Deadline Birthday?" :smile:

Thanks again, Chica and see you on Thursday!