Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery and weird reaction to anestesia

I guess my banding story is a little different than everybody elses regarding the anestesia part and going home. I didn't have problems with the tube in my throat and actually have no soreness with that at all. I explained to him about my huge tonsils and TMJ and he was super kind to my throat.. But, when I woke up, I started vomitting, or dry heaving I should say. since I have the weakest bladder in the world, I then peed all over myself. They tried to give me medicine to counteract that. Since I was still in and out of consciousness they had to wipe me up from me peeing on myself and let me tell you, that was embarrassing. I got wheeled into my room and again had another vomitting attack and peed all over myself again. This time I was able to go clean myself up and my husband helped me too. But now I was nauceous for a long time.. and they wouldn't even give me icechips until the nausea was gone.

Oh, but they did take me to xray and made me take 4 huge gulps of barium and the doc wanted to make sure the band was placed correctly and everything was alright. THat was the nastiest shit I've ever tasted in my life. Not exactly what you want when you are dying of thirst either... She let me swish my mouth out, but it didn't help much. Later the nurse told me that my doctor likes making sure the band was placed properly and that there is flow and so he does that xray thing, so I can totally understand that.

Finally at 4:30pm they let me have some juice and icechips and I haven't had a problem keeping any liquids down at all.

Walking hurts... I can lay on my right side and i'm fine, because most of my holes are on the left side... and I'm belching A LOT and I mean.. my husband told me that I have beat the best belches he's ever had. LOL. I've been trying to walk a lot, but it does hurt and coughing and laughing obviously hurt too. My tummy looks odd.. mishapen, probably cuz of the gas in there.

But, my doctor called me at home last night to check on me, but I was asleep and then he just called me just now to tell me how I looked in there, which, well, wasn't great. He said I had in the top 5 biggest livers he's ever seen. He said on a scale of 1-10 and ten being the biggest I had an "8".. WHAT??? lol. I couldn't believe it. I had followed this diet and lost like 9 pounds and just thought it would have shrunk more.. he said it wasn't slippery, it was just big.. he said i'm just a big girl. HA HA. But, he said everything else looked good like my gall bladder and no hiatal hernia, etc.

Right now if I drink too much, which I would say about 1/2 cup I start getting nauseaous.. so, you definitely don't want to have more than that.

And, try the Propel invigorating Water. It doesn't have as much sugars and carbs as other drinks like this, and it's not as sweet as juices seem to be. Its the only thing I can really stomach right now except Water.< /p>

Crystal, I'm glad you're home and it sounds like you're doing well.

Hang in there, keep walking, and you'll be feeling like yourself in no time!

Welcome to Bandland!

Welcome Welcome Welcome to the banded side of life.

You are doing great!!!

It all feels better in time. Just KEEP walking. I got up ever 1 1/2 - 2 hours, my 6 y.o had a time and made me get out of bed to walk the house and kiss the babies as he called it. It made the world of difference. :biggrin:

Patti

I'm sorry about your reaction to the anesthesia, but it sounds like you're doing well now! I had a problem with nausea the day after my surgery, but after that I was fine. I also had some wicked belches, especially if I wasn't careful to sip instead of gulp. Keep us posted!

Cyrstal,

I've had problems with the anasthesia making me sick with past surgeries, so I told them that when I had my pre-op interview at the hospital. They are going to give me something to take before they "put me under".

I know how bad that feeling is after you wake up!! I've had that happen to me twice after surgeries, and I definitely don't want to have it happen again!!

I hope you are doing well today!

Crystal,

Glad you're doing okay now. Sounds like a pretty scary episode. Don't worry about the nurses who cleaned you up, believe me, they've seen a lot worse.

I have problems coming out of anesthesia as well. I come to in a total panic. My DH has to be there and start talking the instant I start to wake up. I come to fighting {trying to sit up and/or leave is what I'm guessing} and crying and almost hyperventilating. I think it's a control thing. You have none going under and I think it just panics me so that's how I wake up. I hate the idea of going under. I do and I'm not a baby about it but my anxiety sure shows up when I'm coming to.:biggrin:

Congrats on now being banded.:biggrin: Take it easy and do what your doctor told you to do. I agree about the walking, even without the gas issues, it's good for your system to get moving as soon as possible.

Best wishes!

Well, I'm glad all of THAT is behind you. Sorry about your fat liver, but at least he didn't say it was your butt that was too big? lol

It's all better from here :biggrin:

OMG, ya'll are so awesome!! Thanks for all of this..

My hubby just said, "okay babe, that's the longest and biggest belch I've ever heard in my life". It really was the never ending belch and it did come from Wayyyyyy deep within.. but, it oddly feels good.. like I'm getting it out of me.

I'm still in shock over being his top 5 biggest livers ever. LOL. I probably AM the biggest rear he's ever seen. I did get blessed with that for sure and a big liver apparently too!!

I keep looking at my Patches on my belly. They smell funny. Maybe that stuff they rubbed on my belly during surgery? it has a medicine smell.. ICK. that's what is making me nauceous oddly...

At least it's a medicine-type smell and not an old, dead, stinky smell. If it ever does that and/or gets red and tender, go see your doctor ASAP! Then you've got an infection. I'm sure they told you what to look for.

Did you ask him about your fat liver? Was it fat as in large or fatty as in too much fat in it? Sounds like he meant size. Does it mean anything for you down the road? Further testing or you just have a large liver and it doesn't mean anything medically for you?

Sometimes these doctors drive me nuts!:)

Sorry to hear you had a rough experience, every day will get better. Although, at 26 days post op, I am still belching ... in fact, I have startled my dog a few times and she looks at me with the strangest expression!

heartfire - he just said I have a big liver.. he didn't say it was fatty and gross or anything.. and then he giggled and was like, "you're just a big girl".. lol. it was cute the way he said it, so I wasn't offended or anything.. He put the AP 10cc standard band on me.. is there a 14cc one too? I think a friend of mine got that one... all these bands are somewhat confusing sometimes.

Crystal

So sorry you had that experience. When I had my tonsils out I vomited with every move, and it's no fun. Hope each day will get better for you.

I have 3 younger brothers who would LOVE to be in a belching contest if only they knew...