Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Day Pouch Test

I can see the benefits of this test, esp with getting the body off of sugars. I'm having a problem with sugars - seems like I'm eating cards & now more then I have in a long time.

Yes, it was a big help for me to get out of some bad habits that I had slipped into.

Mainly I thought of doing it at first because I wasn't sure whether I should get another fill or not. I was on a long plateau and felt that I was able to eat bigger portions. So what it did was helped me lose 4 pounds in a week, which is unheard of for me, and it got me back into eating my healthy Protein. I think it also shrunk my pouch a bit so my portion sizes went down without me feeling deprived.

I'm doing it again this week as I fell off the wagon completely over Christmas and have had a hard time getting back on again. That was mostly because after it taking so long for the weight to come off, five pounds went on over one week at Christmas and I was being good! So I went into a "why am I bothering" mood and I've now come to my senses.

Mary

Hello. This is my first time here. My question is do you add Protein powder to your Starbucks Mocha? Is the drink alone enough Protein?

Thanks!

I had my surgery 12/23/08. I am 40 days out with 20.5 pound loss. It's still fairly new to me!

Edited by steelemagnolia

Just finished the 5-day pouch test and it was super helpful for me. I did adjust it slightly given my schedule and my birthday, but that didn't seem to matter. I don't think I realized how many slider foods I had been sneaking in without noticing and going back to the liquid diet really did help my restriction. On day five I really felt restriction and I am down 3 lbs.

A couple of things I did to help me get through it all.

1. I didn't rely only on Protein drinks for the liquid stage. I made two batches of homemade Soups at the start so that I could eat them throughout the week. I also incorporated Starbucks Chai Latte fat free milk because I can't drink coffee anymore. Between those two things and the Protein shakes it was pretty easy.

2. I found that a single glass of OJ was enough to give me a little sugar and cut the carb cravings during the first few days.

3. I prioritized my multi-Vitamin. I was taking a prescribed prenatal Vitamin which I hated and made my stomach upset and my DR said that I could switch to one that I liked better and still be good so I went back to the viactive flavor glides which I love.

I wasn't as strict about the soft meat stages either. Mainly because I was working with what was in my pantry and certain things were easier for me to manage during the week. But I was able to pay attention to my eating, the amount that was going in, and most importantly I began to put a stronger emphasis on my Protein, bringing in 20 gms or more over what I was originally told. I did this because I am very active and it became apparent that maybe I wasn't getting enough for my body to be comfortable giving up the pounds.

Hoping it will continue over the weekend and into next week I'll be traveling so there will be new temptations to overcome.

Edited by Meliwriter
typos

what is pbing

I think it stands for Productive Burp. Someone correct me if i'm wrong...

Edited by StrangeDz

That's it, productive burping. It's a polite way of saying we are sick and lose the food that is still in our pouch and whatever may be blocking the entry to the stomach!

M

That's it, productive burping. It's a polite way of saying we are sick and lose the food that is still in our pouch and whatever may be blocking the entry to the stomach!

M

Oh My! I interrpereted that wrong. What is it called when you just hack up what is blocking the entry to the stomach and DON'T lose the contents of the pouch? Is that still a PB?

As far as I understand it, yes! If you are hacking up until you get rid of whatever you ate that was too big to go to your stomach then that is BPing. And you are losing whatever is in the pouch, in order to finally get rid of that blockage.

What happens is, we don't realise it, but we keep swallowing saliva and it ends up filling up our pouch until there is too much in there. Sometimes we are lucky and the blockage passes, but I find that once I've had something blocking the entry to my "main" stomach, there is nothing for it until I've hacked it all up again.

My husband could just not get his head around it but then I explained it to him that he should imagine my stomach like a funnel. The top part is my new pouch and the small part is the opening to the stomach. If I was to pour something like Soup down and a carrot gets stuck, if more liquid keeps going in (like saliva), eventually the funnel will overflow. The only thing for it is to get everything out and try to get rid of that carrot. Sometimes the weight of the rest of the liquid will help that carrot go through, but more often we have to be sick.

I am now aware too though that I do burp more while I am eating. I hope that it isn't too loud, but it is my way of knowing whether things are going down okay. Also, I do believe that air has to move between the pouch and the stomach, the same as with a funnel.

May we all not do any pbing if we can help it!

M

Thanks for the info, I never herd of this but tomorrow morning it will be day one for me. I will let you know how it goes for me. I see the dr. on November 10, so maybe I can drop a few pounds and then tell him what I ahd to do, since no one ever mentioned the 5 day pouch test to me before tonight so thanks again.

Good luck Sharon,

I found it a great help. It gave my weight loss a boost, it made my pouch smaller and it helped me see the destructive way that I was sabotaging myself.

Let us know how you get on!

Mary

Thank you for the link to the website. I'm starting day one of the 5 day pouch test today, as I really fell off the band-wagon over Christmas and haven't been able to get back on. I was up until 4am last night - eating! I am so ashamed of what I have done and feel so hopeless. It was doing so well for the first three months, then came final exams, Christmas stress, and weight gain. These things combined made me start eating refined carbs (which I hadn't been eating for the first three months) and I can actually feel an addiction to them this time around. So, I know I need to quit eating those and get back on track (and hopefully the feeling of success will help as well).

I really hope this is what I need!!! ~

Thank you for the link to the website. I'm starting day one of the 5 day pouch test today, as I really fell off the band-wagon over Christmas and haven't been able to get back on. I was up until 4am last night - eating! I am so ashamed of what I have done and feel so hopeless. It was doing so well for the first three months, then came final exams, Christmas stress, and weight gain. These things combined made me start eating refined carbs (which I hadn't been eating for the first three months) and I can actually feel an addiction to them this time around. So, I know I need to quit eating those and get back on track (and hopefully the feeling of success will help as well).

I really hope this is what I need!!! ~

I can TOTALLY relate! I ate Cookies for 2 weeks straight during the holidays! I went for a fill on my band this past Wednesday and I gained 2 pounds. The doc and nurse said not to stress too bad because it wasnt as bad as it could have been. Since the fill i've been on fluids for 48 hours and have lost the 2 lbs. Great way to get back on track! Good luck to you! ...and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have found this to be really helpful in kicking those times when you just can't get back on track. I find that the first day of Protein drinks is pretty easy, as I am so sick of food and don't get that hungry now.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! The kick of seeing the pounds go as well as tightening up your pouch is worth it.

Mary

To answer somebody's question earlier... PB'ing is a Bandster's shorthand term for "productive burping". If something gets stuck in your pouch and just will not go through to your stomach, basically if you burp, it will come up again. This happens if your band is adjusted too tightly, or your stomach is swollen from previous PB's, or you just took too big of a bite! :biggrin: Some people's bands are tighter in the morning as well. Sometimes there is nausea involved but it usually resolves as soon as the food is disloged.