Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about Hair...

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I was on this website. I am doing great... Still struggling for head hunger, but the results keep me going. I am at 60 pounds off by my hair is in horrible shape. I take my Protein everyday and I know this is the problem. Does anyone have a cure for Bad hair before I get it all cut off. It's just brittle and thin.. I have naturally curly and hair and have never had issues like this. It has to be weight lose.

Anyone????

I had long wavy hair.. I end up with a double whammy... The weight loss made may hair brittle, but then my thryoid medicine made it fall out some... so I wacked it off. Now after about 6 months I am getting that healthy look back too it. I have to keep chopping it off about every 3-4 months- to save myself the heart ache of how awful it looked prior.

I wish you the best. It was one of the hardest things to let go of.

Whenever I add Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1/2 tsp a day to my diet...my hair responds in about a week and looks shiny, slightly wavy and healthy. Also adding fish to diet helps too.

Protein isnt the be all and end all of healthy hair - it takes a good balanced diet all round. You can supplement Protein all you like, if the rest of your diet is deficient, then its not going to help your hair at all.

Good hair and good skin requires fat in your diet too - good fats. Oftentimes when people diet they inadvertantly go really low fat, and that can lead to dry hair and dry skin. Sometimes lack of Iron can make your hair brittle and break off.

I didnt lose hair as in falling out from the root but I did have a period of months too where my hair was simply awful, breaking off and it got really really frizzy and thin as rats tails at the ends because it was all broken off up near ear level. I had to cut it all off from shoulder blade level to a groovy inverted bob and it took 12 months of good cutting and just my body getting over the fast and dramatic weight loss and my hair is probably the best its ever been now. And I like it shorter anyway!

I can relate! The Hair loss for me has been terrible, I'm concerned I could go bald! Anyway, I've been researching a lot and it seems that Protein may not actually be the issue (I've found lots of debate) but maybe a combination of things. I've also read that Biotin (a Vitamin I found at Walmart) can be helpful. I'm hoping that between the protein, Multivitamin, and biotin that I can retain a few strands and my body will adjust appropriatly soon and it will start to grow back in. Good luck!

I was terrified about the prospect of my hair thinning or breaking off because I had heard so many stories. Right before my surgery, in preparation, I decided to stop cutting it and putting color in it. After my surgery, I was so paranoid and constantly in the mirror looking for the first signs of thinning. I made sure I took my Multi-Vitamin and got in good Protein. Luckily, it has been 13 months with no Hair loss. In fact, my hair is longer, thicker and healthier. I don't think there is no guarantee what will happen to anyone.

Have you consulted a dermatologist? Sorry about your Hair loss. Hopefully it will resolve itself soon. I have heard so many stories about hair loss post surgery. I don't want to sound as if I am bragging because I have been fortunate to not have hair loss. I just want others to know that some people actually are fortunate to have improved hair.

First rule out any medical reasons for your hair situation. Go to your internist and your dermatolgist. Assuming all checks out medically, here are a few tips that should help:

1 - In addition to getting your Protein in every day, make sure to take your multi-Vitamin, Calcium and take a Biotin supplement (any generic brand will be fine). Biotin really helps your hair and nails grow in strong and healthy.

2 - Make sure you are eating enough healthy fat in your diet (EVOO, canola oil, etc.) Find out from your doctor how much you should be taking in, and make sure you get it.

3 - Do not wash your hair every day. If possible, aim for every 3rd day. Use a moisturizing conditioner everytime you Shampoo, and use a deep conditioning treatment once a week. My favorite line of hair products for damaged hair is Ojon. It will seriously transform your hair. It is a little pricey, but worth every penny. Buy it as Sephora, and if you don't like it, you can return it in 30 days for a refund.

4 - Of course, try to use styling tools as little as possible (blow dryer, curling iron), and try not to use barettes or clips in your hair, as they tend to cause breakage.

Good luck!

The more weight I lose the shoter my hair!! If your hair gets really bad, buy a really great wig there are so many cute styles out there. My girlfried lost her hair to breast cancer and I was actually jealous of her and her wigs!! go figure.

I started using Rogaine early on because my hair was already baby fine and I didn't want to go through all of this and end up with excess Hair loss. I was a little hesitant about it because once you start using it, I don't think stopping is an option, but neither is being bald!

I got a compliment from the girls at work the other day telling me my hair looks a lot thicker! I was thrilled.

Also my hairdresser turned me on the Halo brand mouse. It's wonderful. The first few times she did my hair with it I went home and thought..WOW...I have more hair! It's a great product.

I have had very thin, baby fine hair all my life, so the prospect of losing even more after banding was slightly disturbing. However, when I came to the realization that it was in fact getting thinner, I just decided to stop messing around with hair that I can't do a damn thing with at the moment and buzzed it all off!! It was seriously liberating, now it's about 1" all over my head and I LOVE IT! I'll probably think about growing it out a little once I get to goal weight, but right now while I'm still losing, spending lots of time at the gym, it's wonderful to just run my fingers through it with a little gel and go!!

I bought a really cute wig when I decided to buzz my hair off, thinking I would just wear the wig for a year or so. Still love the wig (like if I have a date or something), but really I like my buzz cut better so the wig usually just stays in the closet.

Don't stress out about Hair loss, the consensus seems to be that some people lose it and some people don't, and if you're going to lose it no amount of Protein or Biotin or Vitamins will help. There are too many options for bad hair to waste energy worrying about it!

:)

Jill