Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fellow Albertans Help Me!!!!

hi sphynx - have you made a decision yet? i just wanted to add my two bits. regarding mexico, although it is not a place that i considered, i have read very good things about it. there is a forum, i believe, for that clinic that you can check out, look at the facility (looks beautiful), etc. i also never considered colorado, but again haven't read a lot but what i have read is good. i looked into washington state but could not find a place that i qualified at. what i really wanted to make you aware of is the insurance issue. i was a little surprised the JAC said her repairs were covered by AHC even though her band was put in in mexico. my understanding is that AHC will only cover the complicaitons if the band was inserted in canada. that is something that is would definitely clarify. on the other hand, having it put in the US, if you return there because of complications, your insurance probably would not cover you because you are travelling there with a pre-existing condition. something else i would verify. i cannot comment on anyone here yet, i an scheduled for june 3 at swlc. best of luck with your decision. 8-)

what i really wanted to make you aware of is the insurance issue. i was a little surprised the JAC said her repairs were covered by AHC even though her band was put in in Mexico. my understanding is that AHC will only cover the complicaitons if the band was inserted in canada. that is something that is would definitely clarify.

In speaking with Dr. Descoteaux, he told me that if I needed the port repositioned, replaced, or the band replaced, he would do it and it would be covered. Since he is the head of the program in Calgary, I am thinking what he said is true, but then again, since there have been so many cuts to the lapband program, who knows what would be covered and what would not. If you are traveling anywhere out of the country, you can not obtain travel/medical/health insurance that would cover anything. Because the purpose of your trip is to seek medical attention, there is no company that would cover any part of complications, etc. Don't waste any money trying to buy medical insurance if you are going out of country for the procedure. You just have to take your chances.

Hi

I went to Colorado for my surgery. I have been assured by Aberta Health that any followup care is covered. I get my fills for free at the Grande Prarie hospital, covered by Alberta Health.

Lizzieann

Hi I copied this from a post of Donna's. The list is excellent and I hope it helps. Doddie

These are just a few of the questions that come to mind that are important in helping to make a decision in deciding which band surgeon and/or clinic to go with:

· Is there a fee for consultation?

· Are any of your staff at the clinic banded?

· What other staff are available to patients such as dieticians, nutritionists, psychologists?

o Is there a cost for their services?

· Does the clinic have a website and a messageboard and or chatroom available for Lap Band potential patients to access?

· What percentage of your bariatric clinic is devoted to lap band patients?

· What is your medical education?

· What experience in term of years and number of procedures do you have in lap band surgeries?

· What experience do you have in performing revisions?

· If you are a revision, what tests will you need to have done ahead of time to be sure you can have a lap band?

· Do you have any statistics regarding your lap band practice and number of patients who have had slippages, band erosions or other complications?

· What type of warranty comes with your lap band surgery?

· What type of bands do they use and how do they determine the type and size?

· Is there a pre-op diet you need to follow?

o If so is there a cost involved? How much?

· If I don't follow the pre op diet perfectly am I still allowed to get the surgery?

· What tests and paperwork do I need to have done prior to being accepted for banding?

o Is there any charge? How much?

o What is the time span?

· Is the surgery performed in the clinic or at the hospital?

· In case of an emergency what is the procedure that is followed?

· How soon after surgery can I go home?

· What type of accreditation does your clinic have?

· How do your operating rooms compare to those in a hospital if surgery is performed at the clinic?

· Can you give me references from other patients I may talk to, especially those who are a revision from past weight loss surgery?

· How long am I required to be in town before my surgery?

· Is there a hotel that is recommended?

o If so, is there a preferred rate at this hotel?

o Is there a shuttle available from this hotel to clinic and back and how much does this cost?

· Are my family members allowed to remain in the waiting room while I am in surgery or are they asked to leave until I am in the recovery room?

· How long after I wake up can I go home?

· What special medications will I need to purchase before hand?

o Gas-x? liquid Calcium? chewable multi Vitamins? ....

· How long would you recommend I take off work after surgery?

· If I have a hernia do you fix this?

o Is there an extra cost associated?

· How long do I have to have a caregiver with me after surgery?

· Is there someone I can hire to be my caregiver if I come alone?

· Do you use latex?

· Is there a deposit I have to pay to hold my surgery?

o How much?

o Is it refundable if I change my mind?

· How must my final payment be made -- money order/visa/cheque?

o Does it have to be in before my surgery or do I bring it with me on my surgery day?

· If I have further questions may I contact you or your clinic with them?

Even more important is follow up care:

· What type of aftercare program does their clinic have?

· What is covered in the cost of your surgery in regards to aftercare?

· Is there an after hour phone number in case of an emergency or concern you encounter outside of normal business hours?

o Is he/she available on call to answer or return your call?

o Who responds to calls?

· Do you have support groups available locally and in my area?

· Is there a fee for any aftercare services?

· How soon after surgery is your first fill usually?

· What hours am I able to come in for fills and days?

· How often between fills are you eligible for your next one?

· How are the fills performed and are they with or without fluoroscopy?

· Do you have to pay for your fills or are they covered in your surgery fee?

o If they are not covered what is the fee?

· If you live far away from the band clinic, do they have anyone local or closer to your home who is trained by the clinic to do your fills?

o If so do you pay a fee to them and if so how much?

· In case of complications post op, if you had a slippage or worse case scenario band erosion is any further surgery to remove the band covered or would you have to pay?

· In case of a defective port or leak is the surgery to replace it covered in the lap band surgery cost?

· In case of a defective lap band is it replaced at no cost to you the patient?

· If you needed a new band for any reason such as the above or band leak, etc., is it replaced free of charge to you?

o If not what type of cost would you be responsible for?

· At the clinic does the surgeon do your follow up fills or fill nurses?

o If nurses, what training do they have and can you meet them before committing to this surgery?

· What criteria do they base your needing a fill or defill?

· How long does it take when calling to book a fill does it take to get an appointment?

· How much time is the fill nurse allotted to spend with you answering any questions or concerns also?

· Are any of your staff at the clinic banded?

· What other staff are available to help patients, i.e., dieticians, nutritionists, psychologists?

o Is there a cost for their services?

· Does the clinic have a website and a messageboard and or chatroom available for Lap Band patients to access?

Hi, I'm from Calgary and I chose the SWLC clinic in Mississauga because the doctor there ( Dr. Cobourn ) was the doctor that trained the Calgary Doctors. And, so I felt the added connection between SWLC and the Calgary doctors was worth going after even if it is a subtle thing.

As it turns out, but these weren't the reasons for choosing SWLC, the surgery was $2500 cheaper than TLBC in Toronto. And, SWLC has anounced a sister facility to be opened in Calgary headed up by Dr. Mitchell. All SWLC patients will see full complimentary services in Calgary, even if their surgery was in Mississauga.

Some advice if you choose SWLC: The holiday inn was significantly cheaper and we thought we were getting a good deal by reserving a 'suite' so my wife could close the bedroom door whenever I needed rest. My advise, don't go there. The 'suites' will leave you claustrophobic and the windows don't open( ie the only fresh air comes from the air conditioner which never seems to do it for me.)

Lizzieann will the Grande Prarie Hospital fill Mexico lapbands, and do you have a name or phone number I can contact them for a fill for me. Thanks

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi

I went to Colorado for my surgery. I have been assured by Aberta Health that any followup care is covered. I get my fills for free at the Grande Prarie hospital, covered by Alberta Health.

Lizzieann

Canada

Alberta

St Albert

Dr Daviduck

(780) 460-4562

Canada

Alberta

Calgary

Dr Phillip Mitchell

403 264-6720

The above doctors fill any patients in Calgary and St. Albert. Hope this helps. There are also other doctors in Alberta that do fills. I wasn't sure where you are from.

Canada

Alberta

St Albert

Dr Daviduck

(780) 460-4562

Canada

Alberta

Calgary

Dr Phillip Mitchell

403 264-6720

The above doctors fill any patients in Calgary and St. Albert. Hope this helps. There are also other doctors in Alberta that do fills. I wasn't sure where you are from.

yeah phoned Dr. Daviduck today and he won't do out of country. Dr. Mitchell charges $5,000 now for 5 years for out of country patients no matter how many fills he does. I would rather drive to Saskatoon and pay the lady there. I just hate that they are monopolizing saying they won't do out of country. If there iscomplications AHC still pays for that even if it was out of country.

I had my surgery in Toronto at Slimband a.k.a TLBC, I was told that the Dr. they are going to use in Edmonton for their fills is Dr. Hartman on 28th ave in Towne Center. I'm not sure if he only does Slimband patients. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck

I had my surgery in Toronto at Slimband a.k.a TLBC, I was told that the Dr. they are going to use in Edmonton for their fills is Dr. Hartman on 28th ave in Towne Center. I'm not sure if he only does Slimband patients. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck

Thanks, gave Dr. Hartman a call. Person answering the phone didn't know what the heck I was talking about, but Dr. Hartman isn't taking new patients anyway. Asked if they could find out if he does them anyway. Ugh frustrating. Looks like I'm going to Saskatoon.