Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it only me? Help!

hey i cheated big time on my 2nd week. i ate fried chixen, bbbq ribs, Beans, potatoes, bbq chicken, and the works. i did this 3 nites in a row and never got sick or vomited. i have no restriction either. i was mainly concerned if i did some damamge to the band cause they say the soft diet is for the stomach and insides to heal up. so i am confused too and u are not alone. im back on track as of yeasterday tho. it is so hard not to eat

kat, i cheated too big time for 3 nites. i ate fried chicken , mashed taters and gravy, bbq ribs, Beans and cornbread, potatoes. only 3 nites at supper but i ate. i was 2 weeks post of. do u think i did damamge to my band. im back on track

Kat,

Thank you so much for that post. I didn't know all the reasoning behind the different phases of the diets. You have Enlightened me. Now I don't want to cheat.

Thanks again,

Mary

if you click on anyone's ticker it'll take you to a site where you can create one - then you add the code for it to your signature.

I cannot say whether you did or you did not hurt your band. The biggest issue is dependent upon what stage of food you are supposed to be eating. And the serious fact it, it might not be "damaged" in a way you see today, it might however keep your band from being settled into the best possible position, which in turn may be problematic down the road.

I have a very juvenile way of looking at my band I have been told! I ignored them! I listened to my Dr. He explained in great detail WHY the pre op diet is important, he explained why the post op diet is the most important time of being banded, and then he tried to explain to me how the band is intended to work.

I understood the pre op ---shrinking the liver, getting things prepared for invasion---------so I used the visual in my mind to get that accomplished!

Then the post op, when I realized WHY I was not supposed to eat...WHY it could hurt the positioning of the band...I was able to make myself follow the post op diet.

When I found an analogy that put a picture in my mind of how I wanted to eat, and why, I can follow it. I have to be able to wrap my mind around it....

I do not do well with just being told to do it! I try----but it is similar to telling me I cannot have something---then I really want it!!! I need a reason! When presented with the reason--I can do it!

They told me to chew my food well, so it remained in the pouch longer, but I didn't get stuck. OK.....so I pictured it like this. If any of you have ever used a cake decorating bag, picture it to be your stomach pouch. You want to eat small bites, very well chewed --- and not drink with your meal because you want the food to sit in the pouch without running right out, like the frosting would in the decorating bag. But when digestion starts squeezing the food to pass it, it is like squeezing the decorating bag....and out goes the food. BUT if you do not chew well----it all plugs up.

When it plugs up, the bodies natural response is to lube it up--which is when we slime. The body produces huge amounts of this thick, gooey slime----overly heavy saliva---trying to help things go through. Unfortunately a big part of the time, the problem is we have eaten too much so there is nowhere for all the slime to go. Spitting is the best option if it is possible. And incidentally sliming is not limited to banded patients. My DH who is not banded, choked on a piece of chicken---and he slimed as bad as I ever have!

So---if the sliming does not ease the problem---it usually comes up---in a PB. This can be as simple as a hiccup, while it repositions, or it can be a full force violent throwing up type of thing. Most fall somewhere between the 2. There is nothing in the PB except saliva/slime and chewed food, no stomach acids. It is not always pleasant--food is not always the same....milk products for instance will curdle just the same as if they had been in contact with acids in the stomach.

The pressure required to PB or vomit is discouraged for the same reasons you do not eat ahead of the Dr.'s orders, it is hard on the placement of the band.

I am not saying all of you are as "juvenile" in your band as I am----but you are welcome to my immature view of things!!!! LOL!!!

I may get older, but I refuse to grow up!!!

Kat

Not to disagree that the post op diet is important, but if it is that matter of fact, then why do so many different surgeons have so many different diet plans. My surgeon says Soft foods are ok after 1 week (including ground beef), other surgeons have patients on Clear Liquids for 21 days!!

Andrea,

PB sounds like a lot to look forward to. LOL. Thanks for informing me. I had a swallow study today and it looks like my band is fine. I'm relieved. Have you ever heard of anyone getting a fill before 6 weeks?

hey bjr,

it sounds likke a good meal, how I could go for some right now. Anyway, I was so anxious I messed up my band from my "cheating" I had an x-ray done today and it looked good. I'm in my 5th week post op. When did you get banded?

kat817:

Thank you for explaining the process in understandable terms; I, like you need to be told WHY i need to do certain things so I can feel in control and not controlled. I'm gonna print out your explanations cause I know my 52 year old brain will forget if I don't.

Thanks!

Not to disagree that the post op diet is important, but if it is that matter of fact, then why do so many different surgeons have so many different diet plans. My surgeon says Soft foods are ok after 1 week (including ground beef), other surgeons have patients on clear liquids for 21 days!!

Jennifer, I'm with you. I don't know why there is such discrepancy between docs either. I was on clear liquids for four days post-op, full liquids for four days, then mushies plus moist meats for a week after that, then onto regular food on day 16.

There is a HUGE difference in how post op diets are handled. I would never advise anyone to go against their own Dr.'s orders. If you do err, I would err on the side of caution. The way the surgery is done, is very straightforward--------and the fact that there are stitches there is common. I personally did not want anyone squeezing and pulling on my exterior stitches after 4 days---let alone ones inside me in a moist environment.

I take my orders (!!!!) from 2 Dr.'s. I had a surgeon out of the country, so I also have a more local fill Dr. and my fill Dr, had an even stricter pre op as well as post op diet----they both drilled into me that the post op diet is crucial to the setting of the band long term.

So I have simply passed on what I was told. I agree----do what your Dr. allows.

Every single stage of this surgery, from pre op, where they place the port, how they close the incisions, in hospital, out, post op diets, fill schedules, food recommendations etc.....all differ among Dr.'s. Do what yours says.

I was in no way trying to lead people astray.....

Kat