Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What helps the most?

Hey, guys.

I started off really strong with my band, then I think I got lost at sea...and it took me a while to figure out I was depressed and struggling. I started feeling hungry all the time and not having much trouble eating...

Well, I just switched meds and am doing better now (hopefully). I also got my second fill, and I think that has helped tremendously. I suddenly feel like going back to the gym again and watching those calories better.

Has anyone else been battling depression? It's amazing how I fell off track, like with my energy and working out and being really careful about what I ate...and just didn't realize it really.

What tools REALLY work for you guys? (besides the fills, of course) My tried and true useful foods are yogurt and Protein smoothies. Hot tea really helps also. Walking on the treadmill or with my dog through our neighborhood are the easiest exercises for me.

When I'm really feeling energetic and doing well, then I go work out with weight machines and eat different stuff...but the other things get me through the rough days. I missed my support group twice and forgot about these helpful boards. I plan on checking in more often now...being held accountable helps.

The Swirl of Words Tangled with Human Emotions.

I'm getting ready to go home from work, Rhea...but I want to respond to your post...don't think you're being ignored. :lol: I'll be back online in 12 hours.

I'm afraid I can't help with the issue of depression but as far as tools, before I got my third fill, I used sugar-free pudding (60 calories per serving) when I felt like I needed a little something. If I was really hungry and worried about going off the deep end, I'd have a Low-Carb SlimFast (20 grams of Protein per serving, 180 calories.) Another appetite-satisfier was a "Nuts Over Chocolate" Luna Bar and two slices of American cheese. Peanut Butter and cheese have long been a favorite combination for me and this really hit the spot without too many calories.

I think you'll find you'll need these tools less when you get a good level of restriction. I don't get hungry very often and it doesn't take much to satisfy me now. Even head hunger is easier to handle because food isn't as appealing when you're physically not hungry. I've roamed the frig and pantry at those moments, only to eat a cookie, a few peanuts, or just walk away! :lol:

I have to start the day with exercise. Somehow, if I do that, I'm compelled to keep it together for the rest of the day. You don't want to eat whatever because you put the effort into working out. And then if you veer a little, you still exercised and be a little forgiving. Exercise is supposed to help depression too.

I think that you are doing great and maybe being too hard on yourself. I think you need to be so proud of yourself for your exercising, even if it isn't steady. I haven't been good about exercising, and for being able to identify your emotional needs and address them.

As far as foods, I find low fat cheese, yogurt, and fruit easy and satisfying. For some reason I crave eggs. Maybe the Protein, so I keep some boiled up.

Good luck.

I noticed from my most recent 3-week bender that food really affects my mood. When I was eating high carbs and refined sugar, I was moody. I had a short temper, I was depressed, and my sex drive was low. It was really weird to feel that out of control just because of what I ATE.

I have dealt with depression for most of my life. It seems to come and go. But really, the biggest difference for me is when I change my diet. When I'm eating low carb, I have less of the spikes to deal with and my mood is SO different. It's hard for me to even remember feeling that down in the dumps. I have to just remember in the future when I'm in a funk like that - no matter how hard it may be, I need to get back on track with my diet and I just plain feel better. Which, of course, makes it easier to get moving with exercise, which helps make endorphins, which makes me feel even BETTER.

Don't be so hard on yourself, either. 24 lbs lost in 3 months??? That's easily at least 2 lbs per week, which is the recommended loss. That's fantastic!

As for tools...like Longhorn, I like the 60 calorie puddings. I also like part-skim string cheese for munchies. And I do the Slim-Fast shakes. Or when I need to switch it up for flavor from the Slim-Fast, I do Muscle Milk. Boiled eggs are also great anytime. I have an egg-boiler that I can cook them in the microwave. If I'm feeling hungry and just have to have something, pretty much any kind of Protein I can find really helps.

Hey rhea

I can def relate. It has taken me soooooooo long to get my head straight with this whole process. I can def understand youur depression. I hope your feeling better now on the new med?

I found this board and am really trying to keep my motivation up by talking to other people plus it keep me out of the kitchen!

Your doing great by exercising:thumbup:

When were you banded?

Hi Rhea some of the things that I try are most all exercise related; I am truly not eating between my meals because my surgeon told me he would kick my ass if I did. He wanted me to eat three meals a day.

But sometimes life gets in the way of that and when it does, I always make my food choice based on Protein, I like the slimfast high Protein snack bars I love the whipped caramel and it is only 110 calories so I do not feel like I am giving in to too many calories. It is like eating a candy bar really.

But mostly I get up and move my arse, because for me when my head hunger comes into play it is because I am down or depressed I have figured this much out since surgery. It is the hardest thing to learn to recognize and I feel that many people who talk about being ravenously hungry are actually experiencing the HEAD hunger. They cannot tell the difference. I have had no hunger pains in my stomach since my surgery and I have NOT one FILL. I have however expereinced hungry from my head. Telling me that I need to eat, when I know that I do not NEED to eat.

When these times come for me, I usually get moving in some fashion and get my mind onto something fun, or something I enjoy. There are so many things you can choose rather than eating.....it is just being able to recognize and actually bring ourselves to make those choices.

I hope you continue with your great success, as other posters have said your weightloss is great and you want to lose it slower, since that is healthier.

Afterall, Rome wasn't built in a day!!

Hey girl, I can totally relate! The biggest thing that has helped me was to exercise - even just walking, on a daily basis. If I would do that, I wouldn't get depressed. If I didn't, I would get depressed - and still do. And it's so easy to stop for one day, but then it turns into two and then a few months roll by without exercise and in the meantime you're eating badly because you just don't care anymore! Does that sound familiar? I've tried meds in the past, but they didn't seem to work. The only thing that has ever helped me was daily exercise.

I also agree with Steph. I'm the same way with what I eat affecting my mood. I did the Atkins diet a few times and never felt better on it, but it was a "diet" and it got old like other diets and I stopped. But I don't eat nearly the amount of carbs that I used to years ago and the less carbs I eat, the better I feel.

Hang in there. Know you're not the only one going through this!

Linda

I wanted to add my newest tool - running! I can't believe how much better it makes me feel. When I'm feeling kind of down in the dumps, nearly any kind of exercise helps out tremendously.