Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Helppppppp Sick Sick Sick :(

I had my last fill in January 16th. I have really bad allergies and have a lot of drainage and I have been throwing up at least every day. I don't know if it is because my fill or drainage. And I weighted myself today and have gained 4 pounds. I have tried sipping the hot liquids before I eat and it helps a little but sometimes I still get sick! And since every med is a pill I have been taking liquid children's Benadryl and Claritin. What should I do? Do I need to go see my doctor and ask him or go and have my fill decreased. :thumbup:

I had my last fill in January 16th. I have really bad allergies and have a lot of drainage and I have been throwing up at least every day. I don't know if it is because my fill or drainage. And I weighted myself today and have gained 4 pounds. I have tried sipping the hot liquids before I eat and it helps a little but sometimes I still get sick! And since every med is a pill I have been taking liquid children's Benadryl and Claritin. What should I do? Do I need to go see my doctor and ask him or go and have my fill decreased. :thumbup:

For sure...... I would get in to see my MD ASAP!! You don't want to risk having the band slip or erode or have some other complication that could have serious long-term consequences. And it sounds like there's a good chance that it is because you're overfilled.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Since it's the weekend, go on all liquids until Monday and see how you do. You may still need a slight unfill, but going on all liquids will decrease the swelling so you don't continue throwing up. Good luck!

If you are already into the fill stage you can probably start trying to experiment with your pill taking. I only crushed and cut pills for the first 60 days and after that I can take ANY size pill without problem (even after 5 fills). I would venture to guess that you are being sick from the drainage for the most part. You really need to get the allergies under control.

I usually have to stick with liquids when I'm sick too. I think the congestions causes some issues with the band.

My regular doctor prescribes me liquid antibiotics since I can't swallow the ginormous pills. Be warned....they taste absolutely awful.

So Hannah---

what's the word? Are you doing any better? What worked? What didn't? I hope you are doing OK and check back in soon!:confused2:

I haven't had time to go the the doctor yet. I went and got Zertec and I take Benadrly at night. Um did go on just liquids for the weekend and today started on solids. I drank my hot liquid before I tried to eat. A baked potato and chicken, it took me about 45 minutes to eat it but I kept it down. I am just going to be cautious of what I eat until I feel better. We will see how things go tomorrow. Thanks for all of the advice.

Hannah:

I just got home from support group meeting. The surgeon brought up colds and flu season and spoke about how the post nasal drip can cause the band to get too tight with inflamation. He said you're better off to give a call, get a small unfill, and then get it filled back up in a week after you feel better. I just wanted to let you know what the surgeon said because it was only an hour ago.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sue

I had my last fill in January 16th. I have really bad allergies and have a lot of drainage and I have been throwing up at least every day. I don't know if it is because my fill or drainage. And I weighted myself today and have gained 4 pounds. I have tried sipping the hot liquids before I eat and it helps a little but sometimes I still get sick! And since every med is a pill I have been taking liquid children's Benadryl and Claritin. What should I do? Do I need to go see my doctor and ask him or go and have my fill decreased. :biggrin:

Just as a side note.. Claritin comes in a dissolving tablet, I'm on it and it's through prescription... it's so much nicer to get the adult dose without a pill and actually, they are quite yummy imo.

I had my last fill in January 16th. I have really bad allergies and have a lot of drainage and I have been throwing up at least every day. I don't know if it is because my fill or drainage. And I weighted myself today and have gained 4 pounds. I have tried sipping the hot liquids before I eat and it helps a little but sometimes I still get sick! And since every med is a pill I have been taking liquid children's Benadryl and Claritin. What should I do? Do I need to go see my doctor and ask him or go and have my fill decreased. :)

Does this mean that you cannot take pills after the lap band?

It was clearly laid out for me at my first visit with my surgeon that pills MIGHT be a problem, especially if they are large. I have not taken any medications regularly since surgery, per my doctor's instructions. My Vitamin dissolves in a glass of Water, so that's no issue. I have taken Tylenol a couple of times and swallowed 2 at the same time without a problem. You just need to be aware that you could have a problem. If you do, some medicines can be crushed but you need to check with your pharmacist before doing that because some meds don't work the same if they've been crushed. Many meds are available in liquid.

If you are pre-op when your doc gives you a prescription for pain meds post-op, ask for it to be for the liquid form JUST IN CASE. And when you fill that prescription, ask the pharmacist to flavor it and they can offer you quite a choice of flavors.

Thank you. Many of the meds I'm on will not be necessary after the weight is off. I appreciate the detail of your reply. If you can, tell me what you feel like after surgery, mentally and physically. Thanks in advance for your time.:tt1: