Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

international business travel with good fit

Over the past 10 years, I put on about 110 pounds. I have always been a business traveler, and frankly, I like to eat local foods when I travel. and that was a big part of my problem. I used to keep my wieght in check with serious exersize, but when I got married and had kids I cut way back on how much I get to the gym.

I was banded on 24 Sept, but didn't get a fill until late Nov, due to scheduling problems. until I had the first fill, I felt that I could eat about half as much as before.

then, I had a fill, but it wasn't very tight. I was starting to get a little discuraged, even though, in total, I lost 40 pounds between the pre-op diet and the first 4 months. I was able to eat pretty much anything, at about 1/4 what I would eat before the operation.

last week I got my second fill, and it was a perfect restriction. I got the fill on thursday, and Saturday flew to Hong Kong. I was able to eat a single piece of sushi on the flight, then I had about a quarter bowl of noodles for lunch the first day I was in hong kong - so I got to enjoy food, but in a very limited quantity.

I spent 2 days in Singapore - I had carrot cake for Breakfast (not really cake, a radish omlette) about 1/5 of what would be considered a serving. I had XO chili noodles for lunch (about 1/3 of a serving). I had a litte Bar-b-q pork - also, maybe 1/3 of what would be considred a serving, but without any sides or starters or dessert. one evening I went to a nice resteraunt for a business meal and had peking duck - one rolled pancake with duck, green Beans with bacon - about 2 spoon fulls, and a Soup dumpling.

then a day in Kuala Lumpur - I had beef curry and fried bread, about 1/4 of the piece of bread and about 2 spoon fulls of curry. and I got some malaysian fried chicken and ate just one wing.

the only problem was that I had a business lunch in KL and pretty much could't 'touch the food. I had a little rice and had a very bad effect.

I have to say that I am very very happy with the level of restriction that I have. I was very scared that I wouldn't be able to eat anything when I travel, but it has given me exactly what I wanted - the ability to control portiions while tasting everything.

I had a few small problems - in two or 3 of the meals, I felt very uncomfortable for about 3 minutes. I found that standing up and walking to the rest room helped. I couldn't see a pattern as to what type of food caused it, but I am learning to eat slower. I also threw up once, but it was about half a cup of clear liquid. that was at the business lunch - luckily I had walked to the bathroom.

Globe,

Enjoy it while it lasts. When/If you get more fills, I doubt you will be able to keep up with that pace. I also travel a lot for work and pretty much don't eat anything. Mostly I have been going to Europe but I also have been in KL/Singapore.

It may just be that I am too tight, but usually I bring my own oatmeal packets so that I can eat SOMETHING. I absolutely cannot eat bread, noodles or rice. On the positive side, my weight loss picks up when I travel as long as I watch the sodium. Those long flights have turned into hell lately as I cannot eat anything served on the plane anymore. I don't think I am tighter on the plane (bc of the pressure), I just think I am tighter overall.

It's interesting that different people tolerate different things. I can do small amounts of rice but bread doesn't seem to agree with me. Salads go down with no problem.

yeah, I was really worried about the pressure issue on planes, but I've had at least a dozen long flights since being banded, and haven't had any problems. even since my latest fill I was able to eat a piece of sushi on the plane.

I would really be happy if I can continue to lose till my goal - another 70 pounds, with this level of restriction.

That's great! I'm also a frequent traveler (mostly domestic for work & international for play). I spent 3 weeks in Thailand just a month after the surgery and had a pretty good experience.

I finally have what I believe is good restriction with my 4th fill so will be interesting to see how travel eating continues (I'm like you - try to find local favorites).

I think it's great to be able to still try lots of different things and enjoy some serious gormet food - just a significantly smaller portion. Congrats! It's nice to find a fellow road warrior.

I think that I am where you are at. I travel alot and can still eat everything (just smaller portions) I need to be more restricted at this point.

I am going to Maui for fun then will have a fill on March23. Hope to find that sweet spot.

love my band