Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hoarding clothes

Tonight I was teasing my DH about new clothes. I figure that by the time the fall semester rolls around I’ll have dropped enough weight to become a svelte size 18. If/when that happens, I will definitely need new clothes. Probably not much, but some new clothes. He told me that I will have to get rid of a big whack of the clothes that are currently stuffed into my dresser before I can get new clothes.

The thought of getting rid of the “extra” clothes sent me into a near panic. I don’t consider myself to be a clothes horse by any means, but I have a lot of clothes I used to fit into and figure that I will fit into once again. (yeah, a pipe dream.) The last time I lost any serious weight, I gave away all my “fat clothes” but of course, I gained back all the weight I’d lost. I’m terrified that if I give away the current batch of “fat clothes” I will have to go right out and buy more because this band thing probably won’t work for me. (Yes I know, I’m big on irrational fears. But given my history, this probably isn’t such an irrational fear.)

So, folks who are facing this same thing, how are you dealing with it or how did you dealt with it? Did you give away all your things with a song in your heart, or are you hording your clothes still?

I am a food hoarder, and now it looks like I am a clothes hoarder too.

Well im not banded But... It will work for you like it has for so many others... and once you get banded in 11 days.... Clothes will be the last thing on your mind... Hey maybe we can share.... I have a closet full of clothes i cant wear yet. I know you will do great!!!! Take Care

I did give my clothes away to my sister who has the band also!! I am not a person who keeps anything.....Get rid of 'em!!! I will help someone that needs them and you aren't gonna be a failure with the band....you are gonna succeed and I will help u all the way, if need be.

I felt the same way Queen. I kept my size 24s for the longest time even tried to wear them then came my co-workers comments on why in the world I would refuse to get rid of them. So came the day I gradually started sorting them by what I could get away with wearing that did not look funny and traded the ones I could not possible wear cause they were falling off. I took them down to a gently used clothing store and traded them for a smaller size and that is where I am at today. Gradually you will be able to part with them. I kept thinking too that one day I was going to be needing them.. It't like a security Blanket at least for me

I had my band surgery yesterday, and feel great. I gave awa y my whole entire closet. I am currently a size 24, and once i started going through my closet almost everything that I owned was in the 30's, so when i started tossing, tossing, and tossing. When I got done all I had left were 24's that I can wear now, and some elasricized pants, everything else went to my best friend who will also be banded hopefully soon. My other best friedn just gave me a entire wardrobe of 18's, and 16's. So, I'm eager to get into those. Bye bye superplus hello regular. I am eager to have to buy a new wardrobe, for the firdt time ever I won't have to pass up all the skinny stores that don't have my size to run to lanybryant or the avenue. I can pass them up to get to the skinny stores.

So far I've only lost 18 lbs, but I went through my closet last weekend and got rid of EVERYTHING that I haven't worn in a year that was my current size. I got rid of all of the jeans that are starting to get baggy, and got rid of everything in my dressers that I haven't worn in a yr. I had 3 lawn and leaf bags packed full! I could hardly get the ties closed. Then I ordered a new t-shirt from Gap (sz xxl) AND got a couple of new sz. xl tops from Walmart and put them into my drawers so I can see them each time I reach for a shirt.

Yes, I'm afraid of the "what ifs", what if I don't lose weight? What if I lose it and only gain it back? What if My band fails??

But, If I don't try, then I'll never know, so I took the leap and decided that those old HUGE clothes were just taking up space and collecting dust!

I'm about to start going through my clothes. I told my boyfriend that I'd get rid of everything that was too big, accept for one pair of jeans in my biggest size. I'm keeping them and I might just hang them on the wall! (in the bedroom where no one will see but me). I'm going to keep all my shirts unless they are falling off of my shoulders though. I'm really not going to go clothes shopping until I'm at or near goal. I'll buy some jeans to get me through, but I don't want to spend too much money, ya know? I bought some jeans on sale yesterday for like $7 at target. That's the kind of money I want to spend on clothes for the next year. lol

I'm sure that when I go through my closet I'll have some anxiety about keeping bigger things... but in all honesty, most of what fills my closet and drawers is things that don't fit YET. I was in such denial that I'd just keep everything, even if it was too tight. So it's kind of like going back in time for me, to see what's gonna fit n' stuff. I'm in pants that I can't remember the last time I wore them, maybe 3 years ago, and I recall them being pretty tight. The day that I have to buy clothes because I've run out of clothes to shrink into, will be a very awesome day.

:)

I cleaned my closet out and had one pair of pants and 2 shirts left. My DH came home and saw all those clothes on our bed. He asked if I thought I'd ever need any of them. No!!! I donated them all to a rehab facility. It felt freeing to get rid of them. I did keep one dress, one shirt, and one pair of pants -- hanging in plastic - where I can see them and appreciate how far I've come.

I also found my tastes in clothes changing. It's wonderful to wear other things besides black all the time!

Get to checking out what you have. I came across really nice things that I forgot I had and were too big by the time I found them. (Boo-hoo ....NOT)

Marie,

Sounds like it's time to go shopping! I can only imagine how liberating it must feel to throw away all those "big" clothes. Keep up the good work!

It is wonderful! You will start really enjoying shopping for the first time in a long time. And someone is always having a sale. Just don't buy too many of one size because you won't be wearing them that long and soon they'll be too big also.

I got rid of all my bigger clothes with the exception of one pair of pink shorts. They were large to begin with and I still stretched the elastic to it's limits. I am only keeping the shorts as a reminder that I will never be that size again.

I felt panic! I almost put them all back into my closet! lol After cleaning out my closet which was stuffed, I now only have a few items hanging in it, and they are probably too big too, but they are summer things and I kept them so I would have something to put on.

I bagged up three bag fulls and took them to Galvaston to our get together. Boy, I was so nervous getting rid of them. But, after it was all over, I felt good about it. I knew it was the first step in realizing I would never need them again. Now, as soon as something is big on me, I give it to someone that can use it, I don't want it anymore!