Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I haven't had my surgery yet, but am scheduled for surgery next week with Dr. Ortiz in TJ. I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. I have done a lot of research and feel that I've picked one of the best LapBand surgeons available to me. I too have set up the emergency after care, but will keep going to Dr. Ortiz for my fills because, like CCar50 said, your doctor is going to be personally vested in you, so of course will take better care of you than someone else who actually benefits from "Mexico horror stories". Lets face it, they're all in business and even if they wish everyone the best, I'm sure US doctors hate the idea of their business going to MX.

Also, my insurance is through Tricare Military (hubby is military) and they will cover emergency related problems due to the band, regardless of where its installed. If you're insurance doesn't, you may want to conveniently forget when and where it was installed. (J/K)

Like I mentioned before, my banding Dr. required me to have aftercare set up prior to the surgery! He cared enough to make sure of it, even spoke with the Dr.'s!

I too thought about just going back---------and have been to see him, but was not in need of a fill----took a friend to be banded!!

Maybe if I need another fill someday!

There was always someone around who spoke English. We did spruce up our Spanish a bit----but they were so easy to work with, they taught us words in Spanish they wanted us to know----how to say Pain----so everyone would know we needed help!

Research is the KEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Kat

I was banded by Dr. Rod in Acuna Mexico. He told me what to have completed as follow up care. My experience was wonderful. I returned for my first fill and to check band location. All is well... I have local doctors that keep an eye on my band too. To be completely honest with you- if I had to have a second opinion an any major illness/disorder/diesease I would 100% return to mexico for it. I was very impressed with the quality of care I received and bedside manners of the doctor(s) and nurse(s).

Pay a little extra money and get it done in the states, you will find follow up care very difficult if you have the surgery done in Mexico, and if you then develop complications as a result of your surgery, most insurances won't cover the cost of those complications if you had your surgery done in Mexico. It really can lead to other problems.. Get it done in the states...

That's not true. Insurance won't pay attention one way or another WHERE you had surgery, they either cover bariatric procedures or they don't. They can't say, "Well, you had surgery in Mexico or India therefore we aren't going to cover it." That's not how it works.

Follow up care... this is a whole different issue. My friends that have had surgery in the states don't have many more options than I do. If Dr. "X" from the US does the surgery they can go to their original doctor, but if something happens to their original doctor such as he moves or retires, the US banded folks are in the same boat as Mexican banded folks.

With that said, I have many options in AZ, but not all states are as good as mine when it comes to finding fill docs. Texas is awful when it comes to finding fill docs if you can't go to your original surgeon so it really depends on location.

There are several outstanding doctors in Mexico if that is what people want. There are outstanding docs in the US as well. Regardless of where one has surgery they just have to do the legwork and research. There is no excuse not to do it. There are plenty of horror stories from Mexico, there are plenty of horror stories in the US. There are good and bad doctors everywhere. That is why you must research regardless of where you go.

Hi Kat: I enjoyed reading your posts here! I am considering surgery in Mexico and found that I liked the hospital and credentials of Dr. Rumbaut. I also respect Wasabubblebutt's decison though as well as yours. Dr. Acleves is also a consideration.

I wanted to know if your staff at the hosptal and hotel spoke English>? This one factor would be a huge factor in chosing to go to Mexico or not. Can you share your wisdom with me.

Thanks so much

Mar

At the hospital I was at in Mexicali, there was always someone who spoke English there, in fact the only ones who did not communicate with me in English, were the custodial staff.

I was assured there would always be someone there who spoke English, and as it turned out, most all of them did, even if it was a bit broken.

The day I checked in, they gave us a sheet that had Emergency words in Spanish.....so if I said Dolor----pain----anyone there knew to get me some help. That kind of thing.

One of the head nurses at the time, was quite a character, his name was Sergio, and he loved practicing his English, and wanted to know all the current slang----he kept us laughing, even when it hurt!

The only place at all that was any problem, was for my DH, he went with me, and the cafeteria did not have anyone who spoke English, but they worked it out, he pointed at pictures, and with limited words from each of them in the other language, he made it without starving!!!

I am sure with Dr. Rumbaut, he does so many American surgeries, it would be a similar situation.

I did try to keep in mind when going shopping that I was in Their country, and tried to do my best with their language, which I have not even attempted to speak since high school, and most of the words I knew then were the bad ones!!!

Language really was not a barrier. Dr. Aceves was a great guy, I had no negatives from the experience at all. A good friend was done by Dr. Rumbaut, and she liked him just fine. She went with another friend to Mexicali at a later date to be banded, and Dr. Aceves did a fill for her, and he had no problem----so apparantly the Dr.'s get along just fine.

Good Luck in your decision, I think you would be fine with either Dr. I did lots and lots of research when I made my decision, and both of these Dr.'s headed my list.

Kat

Thank you so much Kat for your generous and thorough response to my ??s :-) Also a big congratulations to your on your superb weight loss! Way to go!

I'm only slightly nervous because I will be going solo and your words assured me that this will just be another "adventure". It will be half the cost of having it here in NY. and I think it would be fun to get a little vacation of sorts in? I hate to bug you but how was your post op experience? We are the same age and I am fairly active and strong. I do yoga, cycling, hiking...so I am hoping this will help me to have an easier recovery time. well either way thanks a milllion ..

Recovery for me was quite easy. I understand the 2 Dr.'s you are considering, do have a different way of dealing with you as a patient. Mine kept me in the hospital for 2.5 days! Do I think I needed to be there that long? Probably not, but it was reassuring at the same time.

I had my surgery on the morning of the 24th, and I left the hospital and flew home on the 26th.

I was up and walking within a matter of 2 hours after surgery. I walked as much as I could---and I did not have a problem with it. My SIL and I were banded together, she is 12 years older than I am, and she did not want to walk so much, recovery for her was slower.

Right after surgery they come in and put something in my IV, when I ask what it was they told me it was for pain, but I was not having pain, so I ask that they not give me anymore until I needed it. I never took anymore in my IV. They gave me a liquid pain medication for helping me sleep the first night, and after that I went totally to liquid Tylenol.

He made sure I had pain medication filled before leaving, for my trip home. To get home on the 3rd day was an ordeal! There was first the 1.5 hour drive from the hospital to the airport----they provide the transportation. Then I had a 5 hour flight,with a layover in Phoenix, then another 3.5 hour drive home from the airport. When in Phoenix, I took a shot of liquid Tylenol, I had a killer headache, the person in the seat across from us on the flight home, had marinated in his cologne, and it was horrid!! But by the time I made it home, I was exhausted, and I went to bed!!! I was afraid I would have to sleep in the recliner, but I was so tired, I propped up in my bed, and slept hard!!!

I continued to walk as much as possible, but quickly got back to my normal life. We were in the process of remodeling a home for my oldest DD---and I was soon back to making Home Depot or Lowes runs! I babysit for her daughter who was 15 months old at the time, and for a couple of weeks I would hold her hand and let her climb up in the chair by me, or into her highchair, or carseat----I did not directly lift her immediately. But she is a little thing, so I was soon back to normal duty with her as well.

I have read posts from patients who had a rough recovery, lots of pain, and lots of gas issues. I was extremely lucky, I would call my immediate post op uncomfortable, but never any REAL PAIN. I have dealt with some serious pain in my past, and this surgery was a cakewalk compared. I would do it any day of the week rather than have a root canal done again!!!

Compared to my hysterectomy, or my experience with chemo, this was a day in the park......it was a simple recovery for me.

I was not doing anywhere near the physical things you are!!! I began exercising seriously about 50 pounds post op.

I would bet you will do fine. I am sure the Dr. will have meds ready for you, if you do experience more post op pain. The gas is something that cannot be foretold----just depends how much of it gets left behind after "inflating" you!!!

Good Luck!

Kat

Dearest Kat:

Thank you again for the wonderful knowledge you shared with me. I hadn't thought about how far the airport is to the hospital! Also I think I will make sure to get a direct flight! Now that I think about it I bet the flying part of the trip will be the biggest hassel!

I am sorry that you had to go through a chemo ordeal. I am so very happy tho that you are smiling and well now!

Best to you,

Marg

You are so welcome! The best flying advice I can give is to pack light--you will be having to lift your case into an overhead bin----so if you do not HAVE to have it, leave it home!!! Those people won't see you each day, so plan to wear the same outfit home as you wear down for instance, minimize!!!

The other suggestion would be for slip on shoes. Bending over to tie sneakers or similar shoes, is uncomfortable, and you have to take your shoes off to go through security. Slip ons are sooooo much simpler!!!

My incisions were higher up on my belly---so the airplane seatbelt was not an issue. I DID ask for an extension on the way home, because I was sore and did not want anything tight. If you feel you might need one, ask for it AS YOU BOARD!! When they welcome you, ask for it right then, and they will hand it to you no problem. The people already boarded will be settling luggage and themselves in, and those waiting to board will be in line and unable to see anything. They are usually stowed right in a bin where you board, if you wait, you have to ask in front of all those seated, and then she has to go get it and deliver it in front of everyone! Ask for it as you board.

Like I say the belt on the plane was not an issue, it was across my lower belly, but the car ride home....the shoulder belt come right across my incisions!

You can either take a small pillow to cushion them, or you can get these large clips make to clip things to the fridge....and clip the seatbelt right where it comes out of the car on top, and leave some slack in it. That suggestion come from DH's cardiologist following his open heart surgery. He said it is strong enough to hold it from tightening, but not strong enough to keep it from working in case of an accident.

Travelling was not a big deal.....I worried more about it than I needed to in the end. But that's how I am!!! Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!!!

Kat

Great advice again Kat! I love what you said about the slip-on shoes along with all your other great tid bits. I just happened to purchase a pair of slip on sneakers yesterday because they were on sale and they are coming to Mexico with me. Also you are right I am going to pack super light which I'm pretty good about. My husband packs everything he owns when he travels and I just see the trouble he has so I go the other way.

Just noticed you are a "big" :-) girl too...I am 5'9" as well, actually 5'8.5". I don't like being tall and overweight....just don't feel normal....

Anywho you are an inspiration. Thank you again

Best,

marg

Yes I am tall!!! But I'll tell ya what, being this height, is totally different being a normal weight, than it is being morbidly obese. I feel good about the height, no longer that is is just another way of being big! I was surprised at how much smaller my bone structure is than I always thought it was.

In the right outfit, at certain times now, I can almost feel willowy!!! Wooo Hooo!!!!

Kat

Wow willowy...that sounds nice Kit...Don't know if I'll ever look willowy again...I just can't imagine it. I know what you mean ..I think my bones grew since I gained this weight! I have seen pics of me when I was younger and I did look much smaller boned! You go Willowy Kit!~:thumbup: