Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what kind of bands used in mexico

did you notice that the slippage rates in the comparison trial are for the first 30 days? There are a lot of confounding factors for slips, not just the mechanics of the band.

I wonder what they are 5-10-20 years out.

PS there are plenty of surgeons in NY that place the realize band. I did a quick search and came up with 9 right away.

Dan Davis doesn't practice in NYC - wrong Address

Alan Geiss - Stopped using The Realize Band recently - poor results

Those other docs are not top tier surgeons

No one has reserched this more thoroughly than me! I am still nervous about it.

Look do what you gotta do - if you get The Realize Band your cheating yourself- that's the bottom line.

The first generation Inamed band was not FDA approved until 2001 and even that band has better technology than the Realize. Research was done prior, in the early 90's.

It was first released in Europe in 1993, as I said. This is from Inamed's own site. The company that makes the Realize band was the first company to do bands at all, back in the early 80s. The band being sold now is not that same band however; they have made changes to it just like the Lap-band has evolved.

there is not one doctor in NYC where the most prestigious doctors in the country are who is using the Realize Band.

The band has only been approved in the US since Oct/Nov. so it is not in wide use. OTOH, there are a lot of doctors who use both so you can have a choice and some that have switched to this new band entirely. So I don't see a big consensus of opinion in the medical community that this band is crap.

And I live in the SF Bay Area which has some of the finest medical care in the US. As I said, the best bariatric surgeons here are starting to use the Realize Band.

Luckily, I can't get surgery until the Fall so there is time for more data to accumulate. :cheers2:

The bariatric surgeons you are referring to are either on J&J's payroll or stupid - Please explain why you would want a First Generation Product that's 14 years old implanted in you when you can have the opportunity to have a third generation latest technology implanted in you. Plus it's the only band where you can leave 3-4cc in at placement so you'll be getting faster results. If my doctor uses both I would ask for an explanation of when he or she uses the antiquated obsolete product or the new one - what factors determine his or her choice- which rep is their friend? Does Tiger Woods use different brands of golf clubs each day he plays golf depending on his mood? No, he uses the one which he feels is best. Any doctor who feels 14 year old technology is better than current technology should have his head checked.

I don't understand why there's so much hostility here. Please keep in mind that everyone has their own opinion and it should be treated with respect. Trying to drive your opinion down the throats of people who are happily losing weight on other bands is rude and unwanted. The stats have been posted... thank you very much. I'm sure there are psople who will consider what's been said and think about their choices. But, I believe the question that was asked in the original post was: What kind of bands are used in Mexico? Posting stats does not answer this question and are off topic. There are other threads to debate and argue the merits of all bands.

Good at least they gave you a good band - The Realize Band is 14 year old obsolete technology - Don't be fooled by Johnson and Johnsons slick ad campaign - That band is crap and no doctor worth his salt would use it

If the J&J band was crap then it wouldn't have lasted 14 years. Truth is, it's a very effective band that's why it's been used for so long.

Do you work for Inamed?

It's first generation product which hasn't had a update in years - if you want old, outdated technology then go for it - it's your body but if you do the correct research you will see that product is antiquated.

It is effective, just not as effective as Allergans band 62% vs 43%

I am sorry if I offended anyone - I was once a victim of malpractice because my physician didn't take the time to update himself on updated technology and I don't want that to happen to anyone else...

The data and stats are not my opinion - its facts printed in clinical trials and FDA data- Im not not making it up nor am I endorsed by Allergan in any way

It's first generation product which hasn't had a update in years - if you want old, outdated technology then go for it - it's your body but if you do the correct research you will see that product is antiquated.

It is effective, just not as effective as Allergans band 62% vs 43%

Well my old, outdated technology of a band has enabled me to lose 135 pounds. I went from a size 24 to a size 8 and have been maintaining this weight for over a year and a half ago without any problems whatsoever.

I'm living proof that my J&J band is very effective

I'm glad you didn't have problems but please read below because in Canada A LOT of people did..35 out of 36 people had to have the Realize Band removed - I copied and pasted this from Health Canada's Website

Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band: erosion and other reported incidents leading to explantation

The Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB) is an implantable, adjustable gastric band indicated for use in the treatment of morbid obesity in adults.1 It consists of a reinforced silicone gastric band fitted around the stomach and an injection port placed under the skin and connected to the band by tubing. The SAGB is designed to reduce food intake and can be inflated or deflated as needed after implantation to meet weight-loss requirements without the need for further surgery. The SAGB was originally licensed for sale in Canada in November 2002. A modified version of the device, the SAGB Quick Close (SAGB-QC), was added to the licence as part of a device licence amendment in August 2004.2

Although band erosion is listed among the possible adverse events in the device labelling for physicians,2 the device labelling for patients states that the overall rate of reoperation following placement of the SAGB is low and that extensive use of the SAGB has led to a method where failure is uncommon.3 By definition, band erosion is "a situation where a part of the band has eroded through the full-thickness gastric wall and migrated into the lumen."4 This represents a total failure of the gastric banding procedure.5

From Nov. 1, 2002, to June 15, 2007, Health Canada received 19 reports of incidents suspected of being associated with the SAGB and 17 with the SAGB-QC. Thirteen of the 36 reports described cases of band erosion necessitating removal of the band. Other reports described incidents such as band slippage, band leakage, abscess, dysphagia and regurgitation. In 35 of the 36 reports, band explantation was reported as an outcome.

Although reported rates of band erosion vary across published studies, evidence in the medical literature suggests that the frequency of band erosion is approximately linear over time following surgery, with erosions still being diagnosed 5 or more years after implantation.4 5 Since band erosion is often asymptomatic or only mildly symptomatic initially and since the condition is best diagnosed by gastroscopy, which may not be included in the follow-up of asymptomatic patients, the true incidence of band erosion is underestimated in the literature and its diagnosis can be markedly delayed.4 5 Moreover, band erosion is associated with dense scarring and distortion of tissues, which can complicate revision procedures.5

The complication rates and outcomes associated with SAGB and reported in the literature are variable. Although the authors of some studies have concluded that use of the SAGB demonstrates acceptable levels of safety and effectiveness,6 7 others have reported high long-term complication and failure rates and poor long-term outcomes.4 5 The medical literature suggests that, until reliable selection criteria for patients at low risk for long-term complications are determined, alternative treatment options should be considered and gastric banding should be performed only in carefully selected and fully informed patients.5

Andrew Gaffen, BSc, DDS; Gina Coleman, MD; Health Canada

References

Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band [Canadian instructions for use]. Baar (SWI): Obtech Medical AG; 2000.

Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band Quick Close [Canadian instructions for use]. Zug (SWI): Ethicon Endo-Surgery in cooperation with Obtech Medical AG; 2003.

Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band Quick Close [Canadian patient manual]. Zug (SWI): Ethicon Endo-Surgery in cooperation with Obtech Medical AG; 2003.

Gustavsson S, Westling A. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: complications and side effects responsible for the poor long-term outcome. Semin Laparosc Surg 2002;9(2):115-24. [ PubMed]

Suter M, Calmes JM, Paroz A, et al. A 10-year experience with laparoscopic gastric banding for morbid obesity: high long-term complication and failure rates. Obes Surg 2006;16(7):829-35. [ PubMed]

Steffen R, Biertho L, Ricklin T, et al. Laparoscopic Swedish adjustable gastric banding: a five-year prospective study. Obes Surg 2003;13(3):404-11. [ PubMed]

Zehetner J, Holzinger F, Tiraca H, et al. A 6-year experience with the Swedish adjustable gastric band. Prospective long-term audit of laparoscopic gastric banding. Surg Endosc 2005;19(1):21-8. [ PubMed]

Maybe it's the technique used by the Canadian surgeons?

I have also read studies concerning erosion episodes with the Inamed band. My husband is a Scientist, so he is always informing me of studies published about the Lapband, no matter what brand. The studies are out there, the good, bad and ugly and doesn't seem to discriminate.

I'm glad that you're doing your research and that you've made your decision on what band to use. I just think that you're a little harsh in telling all of us not to go to Mexico and that we're fools ect.. ect...

The J&J band has worked wonderfully for me and for thousands of others. I'm sure there have been complications with the band but there have been complications with the Inamed as well.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery, I hope you have success and that all goes well for you.

Also, as far as I know, the Swedish and the Midband are the only types of Lapbands placed in Canada so it's obvious that the studies would be related to a band that they actually place in that country.

I would be interested to see if they did a study on the Inamed band as well

Well doc you know the Swedish Band IS the Realize Band - Poor surgical technique is related to slippage and prolapse - NOT erosion. If your so sure there have been complications with the inamed band please site a study showing compliciations where Pars-Flaccida technique was used. I don't think you'll find one.

If the Swedish band is so good - why is your website called Lap-bandinfo.com? Why not change it to realizeband info.com if you don't like the inamed- why are using there name to get hits to your site?- sorry doc that seems a little shady.

Maybe it's the technique used by the Canadian surgeons?

Actually, that's not a lot of problems reported. It's an average of 8 a year during an approximate 4.5 year period. I don't know how many bands were installed during that period, but I imagine it's thousands. I also can't believe there were only 36 reports in all of Canada so I'm wondering exactly what sort of data is being reported.

Also, the conclusion of the report is not that the Swedish (Realize) band shouldn't be used, but that "until reliable selection criteria for patients at low risk for long-term complications are determined, alternative treatment options should be considered and gastric banding should be performed only in carefully selected and fully informed patients." IOW, banding isn't for everyone. :(

And to answer the original question, surgeons in Mexico use all sorts of bands including ones that aren't even approved in the US. I hope, since there are people here from all over the world, that we can get some reports on those other bands. In particular, I'm interested in the Midband (French) band as it's even newer than the Inamed and Realize and has some nice features. Does anyone know if it's being evaluated by the FDA yet?

Redstar-

For someone who purports to be so knowledgeable about everything please stop insulting us with your venomous attitude and your bad grammar. I am unsubscribing from this thread; we are here to help each other not attack each other with bloated and skewed statistics. I read your other threads and you seem insanely obsessed with bashing the realize band. Don’t bother responding, I am not going to read your PMs or read this thread again.

Lisa 717, I have heard many good things about Mexico, many doctors will give you the box and serial number for your band. I chose to get my surgery in the USA because a colleague of mine did it free of charge (only charge was for the band itself and the anesthesia- still came to 4K though) and I was concerned about follow up. Let us know what you choose, good luck to you no matter which way you decide to go!