Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does pre-op excercise help post-op recovery?

Just wondering, would it help to do more of a certain excercise (walking? sit-ups?) to make recovery easier?

To be very honest, you can not increase a certain exercise and expect to have a faster healing time--

The four laproscopic incisions they make (mine were three across the lower mid-section and one between the breasts) which will be from 1/2" long to 1 1/2" long require time to heal and there is no magic exercise you can do now to speed that along.

The band will be inserted and the port will be sewn to abdominal muscle (so says my surgeon)--so that even when the 'outside' seems to be healed, the entire insides will require a lot longer to heal.

I know you'd like to hurry this process along, but four weeks (light exercise) to two months (heavy weight training) is not long in a lifetime. And you can walk immediately--and in fact they recommend that you begin walking from day one! So Treadmill work, here you come!! :eek:

Thanks for your response. I wasn't thinking of rushing things, only to possibly minimize the pain factor. I have read posts here from some that have little pain post-op, and some that have lots. Everyone's different, I know.

Yes, it's good that you're starting to think of that now. I really don't have a clue why some people say they had virtually no pain...

I always think it COULD be what the surgeon uses to close the incisions--staples, steri-strips, glue--that may hasten the healing. I've worked out since 1983 and my surgeon used staples, which didn't even come out for six days after surgery (and some people say they went back to work in four days???!). So although I took three weeks off, I honestly could have returned in 10 days to two weeks--but my working out really didn't factor in.

Right now, I think you should start walking--on a treadmill or wherever you can. I was told to walk 10 minutes of every hour immediately after surgery and I sure did that--and had no gas pains others talk about.

And, as I said, walking even in the beginning is encouraged--so if you start now, you can build up those leg muscles and you'll be ready the day after surgery!! (OR NOT--! Maybe two days after surgery!!) :eek:

Yes, thanks. I already do walking and some other things including stacking & hauling wood and shoveling snow! I just wondered if anything specific would help. Guess not. I'll be sure and get good meds and maybe practice "releasing gas!!"

:wink_smile:

Barb

I started working out about 4 months before my surgery and I am a huge advocate of doing so. First, my abs, arms, and legs were strong, which helped me get up and move around far more easily right after my surgery. My oxygen levels were extremely good and my lung capacity was also higher than most patients, according to my surgeon. He was super pleased because these things that I didn't really associate with exercise helped during the surgery. Also, for me, the biggest thing is that after 4 months, I was used to exercising and it was getting to be part of my lifestyle...so I was looking forward to getting back when I could after surgery instead of sitting there going...yeah, I SHOULD exercise, but... I think it's always a good idea to exercise. Start lifting and push yourself with the cardio! You'll feel better! Good luck with your surgery! You're gonna love it!!!

I don't have a date yet. I had my last appt Friday, and that report goes to my "Bariatric Coordinator" at the surgeon's office, then she calls BC & sends in what they want. I was encouraged that she said everything looked good for my ins. approval. I don't expect to hear anything for at least 2+ weeks. I'm going to go crazy waiting!

OMG rharriet62! You've lost 119 lbs?? That is amazing. When did you get banded? I can't wait for my LB! :) Yes, the lung capacity..duh...I should have thought of that. Well, I'll keep doin' what I'm doin' and kick it up a notch. We have about 3' of snow and I'd much rather be outside!

Hi, Your reaction to my losing 119 was shocking...because I keep saying to myself...WHEN I will get closer to my goal? HAHA. I've been banded since 9-21-04, so I've lost this weight very slowly. Last year, I really struggled and only lost 26 lbs all YEAR. But, I'm not gaining! Since 1-08, I've really kicked it up a notch, have lost 10 lbs so far, and plan to keep on the losing trend so I can drop the rest and get to my first goal of 185 & then re-evaluate. SO, thanks for the OMG! It made me really think of what I've done as an accomplishment instead of not being enough!

Hi Blund:

According to my group of doctors/dieticians, etc, if you walk 20 minutes a day for the 2 weeks prior to surgery you will help your healing. Apparently, you strengthen your lungs, which requires less anest. which helps you in recovery.

I'm kind of surprised I'm the first to say this.......

I would highly recommend starting walking (good, brisk walking) now, before surgery. You've made the decision to improve your life and your health, why wait? And if you're committed to an exercise program, I really do believe it will help with that last supper syndrome. How could it be anything other than beneficial to exercise and eat well?

I really do think it will lift your mood, your outlook, your commitment and that cannot fail to make post op easier, there's a certain amount of discomfort after surgery, of course, but your state of health influences that and lying around being miserable never did anyone any good. It will motivate you to be up and around sooner.

The other main benefit is that many many people have to start out with very small amounts of exercise due to their level of obesity and lack of fitness. Kudos to them, its a huge challenge and to embark upon it takes guts. But it doesnt change the fact that if all you can manage at first is a 1/2 a mile walk before you're exhausted, it is NOT enough exercise to really help weight loss. It is going to take months of diligent work before you can get in that 45 minutes of moderate cardio four or five times a week, the sort of level of exercise which will really bring you results. You will of course most likely lose tons of weight anyway, but this will really help you keep it going.

I truly felt that one of the main reasons for the success I've had with the band is that I was lucky enough to be banded at a BMI of 35 before I had any health problems. That meant that I still had enough residual fitness and "memory" in my body to begin running six weeks after surgery and I"ve never looked back.

My BMI is just over 35, and I think I'm in OK shape and do walk now. I'm also thinking about the fact that I don't have a lot of other problems YET! I was rollerblading up until I was 7 month pregnant (many lbs and years ago!). Complete strangers would slow their cars down and yell at me to stop because I was pregnant!! I never fell, but the yelling startled me sometimes!