Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aaron Hoffman - Lap Band done in Buffalo, NY (Dr. Hoffman)

Hi everyone - anyone walking tomorrow? I will be at Eastern Hills Mall at the entrance by Dave and Busters at 8am. Hope to see you there.

linda,

i wont know until later tonite if i can go...as soon as i know i will let you know

val

Hello! I'm wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice. I'm at the very beginning stages of my lap band journey. Once I receive my application from BGH, should I make an appointment with my PCP so he can help me get started on the paperwork? I'm not sure how to get all the information in to BGH.

For all of you who are on this journey and have gone through the process, I would greatly appreciate your help and support.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!

If you haven't seen your PCP recently make appt. The application will explain what you need . Fax your paperwork to BGH. After you get your info.

Hello! I'm wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice. I'm at the very beginning stages of my lap band journey. Once I receive my application from BGH, should I make an appointment with my PCP so he can help me get started on the paperwork? I'm not sure how to get all the information in to BGH.

For all of you who are on this journey and have gone through the process, I would greatly appreciate your help and support.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!

Hi Mary.. I was recently banded on Nov 11 by Dr. Posner. I am not sorry, however, it is hard getting thru the holidays with all the good food hanging around and temptation is constant.

When I first rec'd my application, I filled it out the best I could and then wrote my letter explaining why I feel that I would be a candidate and listed all of the prev weight loss diets I have tried and failed.

I also included in the letter all the previous medical information from the pcp that I was including in the package. I did see my PCP and had him fill out his portion of the application in front of me. Sometimes if you leave it to the primary to fill it out and send it on his own, it may sit on his desk for weeks or he may very well send it in asap but the clinic will loose track of it and not have it in your file when they need it.

When you have your PCP appointment, have him copy all of the testing etc. that he has on you.. e.g. MRI reports, x-rays, most recent bloodwork, mamogram and pap smear reports, sleepstudies.. Anything done routinely annually and also anything out of the ordinary.. If your PCP does not have it, call the MD office that ordered the testing. (e.g. my otolaryngologist ordered my sleep study and my gyno had my mamo and pap test)

When you get all of this information - make a folder for yourself and copy all of all information before sending it in. The clinic is famous for loosing important info and its really a pain having to get it all over again, so do yourself a favor and copy it for yourself also.

Next, call for an appointment for the psych evaluation. Suburban Psych Associates.. 85 Bryant Woods, Amherst.. 716-689-3333.. Tell them that you need a psych evaluation as you are contemplating bariatric surgery and you are going thru this process with the Comprehensive weightloss program at Kaleida Health - BGH.. Do this asap as sometimes you have to wait awhile for an appointment.

Mary, this all seems to be alot of work and it is, but the more that you do up front, the better it is for you. I had mostly all of my information and I still had some that I needed to get.

This is a long process as I started my process in April and did not have my surgery until November.

Also, we have a monthly support group meeting. It helped me so much and I have met some very nice people. I don't know what I have done with out these new friends of mine. The support that I received was unbelievable.. The people in attendence are new patients that have not had their banding and people that have had the band for a year or so. I asked so many questions..

Good luck.. If anyone can add to this to help Mary, please jump in.

shar

Well I'm getting ready for my surgery monday morning, I'm pretty nervous now. I'm finding I'm getting more hesitant about telling anyone about the surgery, I got pretty annoyed at my mother in law letting it slip to a few ppl at christmas. It's really hitting me how things are going to change, especially after reading the post-op instructions on what to eat after surgery for a few weeks. I know I'm doing the right thing, its still just a little nerve racking.

I ran into a girl I went to school with, and I hadnt seen her since I just had my baby last summer. She thought I was pregnant & I'm obviously not...even though I was wearing my maternity shirt still. I laughed it off & suppose I would have felt worse if I hadnt had any babies at all. I remember I was about 19 and it was the very beginning of my weight issues & a guy I worked with told me I looked pregnant & I felt like I could just die. To think I only weighed about 140-145 pounds at the time. I would kill to be that weight now.

Anyways, struggling to not eat too much this past week. I did have a few extra things on Christmas but no where near what I would have done in the past. Tomorrow should be really fun with that crappy drink I have to take in the afternoon...yay.

I still cant believe after 6 months its finally happening, my husband told me he's proud of me and thats just one of the best things I've heard in a long time...

Danielle

Danielle

That crappy drink is really crappy but just gulp it down and let it work.. it not so bad.

Good luck tomorrow.. Its normal to be nervous but in a couple of days, you will be so relieved its over and also be proud of yourself that you took this step to make your life better and healthier instead of just complaining about it. I know I am !!

shar

Good luck, Danielle! I'm sure you're in the throes of the "cleanse" right now, but tomorrow your journey starts! Yay!

dear daniella, it has been 6months since my surg. and I am down 70 lbs. and not for one second do it regret having this done, not one. you will be so happy in a couple months, trust me and good luck for your new year ahead. vicki

Well getting that drink down was pretty much the worst of it. I'm just a little annoyed right now because I am STARVING. This whole not eating before surgery really stinks...all for a good cause though. THanks for the words of encouragement they mean a great deal, I know its all going to be worth it. :)

Thank you for the kind advice you gave me regarding the beginning steps of this journey. You are all an inspiration.

Danielle - best of luck tomorrow!

dear daniella, it has been 6months since my surg. and I am down 70 lbs. and not for one second do it regret having this done, not one. you will be so happy in a couple months, trust me and good luck for your new year ahead. vicki

Vicki, was there a time after the surgery that the scale didn't move at all ?? I don't think I have moved down in weight in about a month at least !! I am getting discouraged. I was banded on 11/11 and I lost pretty good the first couple of weeks but lately nothing !! I know I need to go back to the gym. that may be part of it but the good thing thru this holiday, I haven't gained..

shar

Vicki, was there a time after the surgery that the scale didn't move at all ?? I don't think I have moved down in weight in about a month at least !! I am getting discouraged. I was banded on 11/11 and I lost pretty good the first couple of weeks but lately nothing !! I know I need to go back to the gym. that may be part of it but the good thing thru this holiday, I haven't gained..

shar

Yes! there have been two times since surgery that I did not move on the scale, the first was in Oct. did not lose for four weeks, then lost 12 the next four weeks. this month, I actually gained 6 lbs the first week and have lost that and one more for a total of 7. I don't have any real excersize program but I walk more than i have in 6 years and clean the house alot. I know it sounds silly, but i get my house done and get a work out at the same time. I get nervous when the scale doesn't move too, but then poof, all at once you will lose a chunk of weight. I am actually allowing more carbs into my diet lately, and seem to be losing, so I wonder if my body just needed a change. doesn't it seem like our whole world revolves around diet and wt. now?...hummmmm lol vicki

Hi everyone,

Luckyclover here lol Kathy is the name. I called last friday for an applacation. How long does it take to get it to me????? I have a app with my pcp on the 8th of this month, what should i ask him for to help me out in this process?? My BMI is 39, but i have asmtha because of my weigth and depression and acid reflux , will that help me because of my BMI not being 40? I can also make an app. with a phy. doctor assincetan for my phyc. test , will they accept that??? Boy iam a bad speller lol. I live out in Delevan NY. Iam going to ask for Dr. Hoffman. I want my weight off so bad, if i don't get the lapband i don't know what i can do. Ive done Weight Watchers twice. I go to the gym now and nothing is comming off. My husband is supporting me, i haven't told my parents because, the last time i did my mom had a cow lol. Here iam 47 yrs old and iam being treated like a kid, like i don't know what iam doing. Well thanks for the shoulder to cry on. Good luck to everyone and good job. Talk to ya soon.

Kathy aka luckyclover