Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think it is harder for a diabetic to lose weight?

Do you feel it is harder for diabetics to lose weight? My lapband doctor has said it will be. He is very concerned that I am still on insulin and I am not losing anymore.

I think it might be harder, or technically slower for diabetics because the average bandster loses some of their weight by learning new eating habits, and lessening the sugars and complex carbs they take it, thus resulting in weight loss. Where as someone who has been treating diabetes, has already eliminated those, so will be relying more on the help with feeling full on less, and exercise. I do think with proper fill the band will still help those with diabetes though, by helping them achieve the full feeling sooner, and then taking in less calories in general, and with each pound lost, moving more becomes easier. Exercise is key to keeping blood sugars in control with the diabetics in my family I know, and when you weigh less it is easier.

I have a niece though who is seriously insulin dependent, and she has never weighed over 116 in her life!!!

Good Luck~~

Kat

I agree that at this point it will be the ability to take in less calories overall that will be beneficial with the surgery. I am curious as to how many calories you eat in an average day. I am diabetic and pre-surgery and really trying to determine if this is a tool that will truly help me eat less calories than I currently do.

I know it is harder for me to lose weight while taking my Metformin. When I was only in Levemir(newer insulin) I was able to lose easier than when was switched to only oral medication(Metformin). Now without strenuous exercise at least 5 times a week the scale will not move. At least with the band it is no longer going up:)

I agree with above poster! My mom was on Lantus for 3 years and gained 20 or so pounds. Her doc recently switched her over to Levemir (works the same way) and she has been able to lose 12 pounds! She's not even banded. I never knew the brand of insulin could make such a difference.

Everything is harder for diabetics! I have been a type 2 for 16 yrs and am on a Humolog shot with each meal and Lantus at night. I take oral meds 2x daily also. I am on a preop diet and getting banded on this Tues. My BMI is 50 and I am 58 yrs old...a lot to loss and everything to gain. If you can find a great diabetic doctor or RN to work with as prescribed by your doctor, like I have...you can wean down off the insulin and oral meds and thus make it much easier to lose the weight. It can only be done with strict diet control.

I am on only the oral meds now and the Lantus...off the Humalog WHICH IS ONLY MY STORY, I AM NOT SAYING TO DO THAT YOURSELF. But, it takes lots of checking blood sugars and watching Proteins and carbs. It is not impossible if you are type 2. It is a horrid disease, and it really wears out the old pancreas fast. At least we can aim to decrease our meds and lose!

Good luck and don't give up...find the right diabetic provider to work with.

ChristyC

Yes i do and if u have other issues/with other meds like hi b/p

I am on th einsulin pump I am a type one I am postive that it is harder to lose weight I have been at a stand still for 13 months I have lost 110 pounds I still have about 50 to go.

Being a diabetic I am so quickly to run ketones for not getting in enough cal. I go into starvation very fast

I have never checked for ketones and i eat very few carbs.yet my diabetes is under control last a1c 5.2 .my meds have been decreased th1/4 of what i was taking a year ago. I dont have 2 c my md for 6months.

I will have to agree that it is harder for diabetics. I know for myself, I have been diabetic for a long time and have been, for the most part, been eating a diet that other folks would lose alot of weight on. My body became used to this diet and my weight was high but stable, eating a" healthy" diet. When I was approved for surgery, I made a big mistake and started eating like my friends. Not a lot of sweets, but going out alot, eating Mexican food etc. and I gained 30 lbs. before surgery. Not a good thing. I am still on my diabetic meds. My surgery was May 15 and I am at a standstill with a 50 lb weight loss. I have stalled and I know why. Eating and eating the wrong things and not exercising. Time to get back in gear, but yes it is more difficult for diabetics. Plus alot of the meds make us gain wt. and make it more difficult to lose. Another good reason and my main reason for surgery was to get off all these expensive and side effect laden meds. Good luck to all of us. It is going to be a good wt loss new year. I love this site. It is a good place to get , exchange and share information and experinces.

t

I think it might be harder, or technically slower for diabetics because the average bandster loses some of their weight by learning new eating habits, and lessening the sugars and complex carbs they take it, thus resulting in weight loss. Where as someone who has been treating diabetes, has already eliminated those, so will be relying more on the help with feeling full on less, and exercise. I do think with proper fill the band will still help those with diabetes though, by helping them achieve the full feeling sooner, and then taking in less calories in general, and with each pound lost, moving more becomes easier. Exercise is key to keeping blood sugars in control with the diabetics in my family I know, and when you weigh less it is easier.

I have a niece though who is seriously insulin dependent, and she has never weighed over 116 in her life!!!

Good Luck~~

Kat

thanks i needed to see and read this.it explains a lot to me

Yes, during my seminar, I was told I would lose on average 20% slower than a non diabetic.

I agree with all of you, it is much harder to lose weight. I am a type 1 diabetic and am eating all the Protein (plus some) that I should be eating as well as staying between 800-1200 calories per day, drinking all my Water etc. and my weight loss is very, very slow. I also have hypothyroidism (which is under control) but that doesn't help my weight loss either.

I agree that it is harder....plus, I got discouraged and then ate smaller amounts but of the wrong stuff and so am back to stating over again...hopefully I can get my head together and the rest will follow.

I am replying to the 2nd post by Kat817:

Dear Kat,

Honestly, I am diabetic and I eat sugar and greasy foods wayyy to often. In fact, many people don't have their diabetes under control. I think we may lose weight more slowly, but I am pretty sure that is not the reason why. I will ask my endocrinologist and get back to all of you on Thursday.

Wendy