Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think it is harder for a diabetic to lose weight?

I am a bandster of 3 years now and I have been begging my hubby to have the lapband to help with his diabetes....He is on 100 units of lantis daily and is taking max oral meds...Can anyone out there tell me how you regulate your meds immediately after surgery and has the surgery been a positive thing for you...Thanks

Pezo, the surgery has been a positive thing for my diabetes :)

When I first started the 6 month diet docs I was taking 50 units lantus every day, and then sliding scale humalog with meals. During the process prior to my Lapband I gradually lost 31 pounds working our and eating better. My sugars starting dropping so I gradually reduced my lantus 5 units at a time with docs permission. Adjusting during my weight loss made it easier for me when I finally had the surgery 10 days ago.

Right now I'm currently taking 15 units of lantus, but still adjusting as I eat and drink more. I'm a nurse so I feel pretty confident adjusting my meds myself but your hubby should definitely work with an endocrinologist if he does this.

Prezo & wallflower,

Great to hear good results. I am only 5-ish days post op and I have not had to take my Lantus at all or my Humalog. Sugars are holding stable. Once my food intake & food types increases I expect to start the Lantus at 5 units & step up as needed. I've been in a lot of pain but I am thrilled not to have to inject 115 units every morning. Since my pancrease was damaged from other health issues I was wondering how I would do post op. so far I am thrilled.

Oh and to the main question of this thread. Yes, loosing weight is more difficult for diabetics. That is one of many fundamental parts of diabetes. Even with well controlled sugars it's still difficult. Often folks with diabetis also have other health problems that will contribute to the difficulties in loosing weight. One of My problems is I am unable to work out at the levels I use to loose weight because of herniated disks (back surgery soon). That lack of exercise & eating too much = weight gain. I had lost 70lbs before my back injury & gained that and then some back. I have had a very healthy diet for the last 10 years. Room for improvement...absolutely. Eating too much is my other problem. No matter how healthy we eat too much of a good thing is bad.

Wow...I think I have babbled on enough waiting for the pain mess to kick in :)

Night

~Manda

i DID NOT HAVE DIABETES TILL NOW BUT NOW i AM SUSPECTING IT.TOO THRISTY ALL THE TIME..AND GOING TO THE LOO SO OFTEN....

MY DOCTOR HAS ALSO TOLD ME TO GO FOR A BLOOD TEST. i NOTICED i WAS PUTTING ON WEIGHT FOR NO REASON....MAYBE THIS IS THE REASON..

LIFE IS SO COMPLICATED....i WISH WE HAD ALL EXERCISED AND BEEN FIT WHEN WE WERE YOUNG!!!!

Actually, to make it easier, you can consume foods that support for both weight loss and diabete. As I know, green Beans can be a good choice. Diabetes happens due to the imbalanced levelsof blood sugar levels. In reality, green beans may provide instant relief from discomforts of diabetes. Beside the rich-fiber qualities make green bean is very beneficial for controlling weight. There are many health articles saying about these benefits of green bean. You can take a look at https://wikihomenutrition.com/green-beans-nutrition-facts-health-benefits