Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing weight too fast?

Today marks the end of my first week on my pre-op diet, with just under two weeks to go. I had an enthusiastic start, and have been doing really good on my diet - sticking right to the plan, drinking all my Water, and exercising daily. I've lost 8 pounds in a week (I know some must be Water weight), and I'm just wondering if it's too fast a weight loss? :thumbdown: Today my body feels like it's rebelling. I'm not just hungry, I'm ravenous. The shakes/food I'm allowed are not filling me up. I also feel very tired and weak for some unknown reason, when all last week my energy level has been high. I know past diets I've been on say to lose 1-2 pounds a week, but then this diet was designed to shrink my liver. So I'm just feeling a bit confused. Is this just a normal fluctuation? I do see my doctor on Monday, so I'll get some further help . . . but until then, any advice, encouragement, information etc. would be so helpful. :D Feeling down today, I want to attack my refrigerator . . . but I don't want to sabotage how far I've come already.

Thanks for letting me vent! :thumbup:

Rhapsody, I think you should eat a small, regular meal of something you know that always fills you up and nips your hunger in the bud. There's no need to suffer unnecessarily. If you stay on this diet most of the time your liver will shrink plenty. Good luck!

Rhapsody, I think you should eat a small, regular meal of something you know that always fills you up and nips your hunger in the bud. There's no need to suffer unnecessarily. If you stay on this diet most of the time your liver will shrink plenty. Good luck!

Thank-you so much for your kind (and sensible) reply! I did eat more Protein today (I had a second helping of fish), and that did help my hunger. However, I finally know why I'm feeling so down/blah, it's not the diet . . . I musta picked up a flu/cold bug, my temperature is 100.5 F. :thumbdown: I just checked it. Glad my surgery isn't for another 2 weeks or so. Gonna go take some motrin and rest. Thanks again for your help!

As long as you keep your carbs down your liver will shrink. I have pictures of mine and it is beautiful!! LOLOL Eat that Protein, it will help. Between possibly being sick and going through carb withdrawal you are a probably miserable right now. Believe me, it gets better. The protein really helps.

As long as you keep your carbs down your liver will shrink. I have pictures of mine and it is beautiful!! LOLOL Eat that Protein, it will help. Between possibly being sick and going through carb withdrawal you are a probably miserable right now. Believe me, it gets better. The Protein really helps.

Thanks for the info about the carbs/protein Karen! I am feeling a bit better today, still tired, but I've been resting a lot. I will keep what you said about the carbs in mind! I think I'm a bit paranoid about the whole liver shrinkage thing, lol . . . I watched a program on Discovery Health Channel, it was about a clinic that helps the super morbidly obese. The name of the clinic and the show escapes me at the moment. Anyway, the show once showed a surgery of a lady having gastric bypass (with the Laparoscope), and it clearly showed how the liver got in the way . . . it was slipping all over like a piece of Jello, lol. Watching a live surgery doesn't bother me, but after seeing that, I vowed I was really gonna stick to my diet and shrink my liver! I just don't want any complications from the surgery.

I really love all your write-ups, they are VERY helpful, and I'm so thankful to you for them. :eek: Congratz on your weight loss too! :thumbup:

Rhapsody

You are very welcome and thank you for the compliment! I know it helped me by reading other people's experiences so I am glad I can contribute.

The show you are talking about is called Big Medicine and I record it religiously!!! I find it fascinating to follow other people's journeys and everything that goes into it from the physician's perspective.

My surgeon actually shows his patients pictures of the liver of a patient he closed up because she hadn't followed her pre-op diet thinking it didn't matter. Well it did. You should have seen her liver. Like you, he said that if he had lifted it, it would have torn in two! That's all it took for me. I followed the pre-op diet religiously if not better than they wanted! The only real requirement was less than 30 gms a day excluding green leafy vegetables, i.e. no corn, peas or other starchy veggies. I counted everything. Judging from my liver pics and the accolades from my surgeon I must have done a good job.

I just can't believe how eager I am to get back to that low carb diet right now!!!!!!!!!!

I too followed my pre-op guys but mine just consisted of Protein Shakes. IT was hard but I stuck to my guns and did what I had to do! It's all worth it. I have been losing about 2 pounds per day so far. Since I have been banded. And onthe pre-op. So stick it out girl just do what you have to do for you.

Hi Rhapsody...my fellow Nemo lover!! Sorry you're not feeling so hot. Coming down with a cold or flu would make it hard on anyone trying to do a strict diet. So BE KIND TO YOURSELF!! Give yourself extra sustinance so you can fight your little big and get back on the fast-track to Bandland....you're doing AWESOME!! As is every other Double V. I haven't given an update in a couple of days and I'm so happy that I can say I'm doing AWESOME as well. I'm 5 days post-op and apparentely I'm a bionic healer!!! My swelling and bloating are almost GONE and my incisions are already starting to itch....a sure sign of healing. Being on Clear liquids hasn't been the greatest but I had 40z of Muscle Milk Light this morning and felt like a new woman!! The hubby and I went out and bought a new living room set this afternoon and I was feeling super energetic. I advance to full liquids tomorrow and excited at the thought of ramping up my Protein and having some cream Soup. Oh...I did have some Egg Drop Soup today....DEELISH!! There is a recipe for it on the boards if you do a search. It's good for the clear liquid phase when you want a break from Jello and S/F popsicles. I've stayed away from the scale (very tough) but I didn't want to be disappointed if I didn't see a drop in weight. I figure we are so pumped up with gas, fluids, bloating and swelling the scale my not reveal our true weight loss. I'm going to wait until Tues when I'm officially one week post-op. Ok..I've rambled enough. Congrats to EVERYONE who is sticking to plan on pre-op and recovering quickly post-op. Rhaps...you take care of youself, girl!!

Hugs,

Amy

Warm hugs ladies! I really appreciate all the support and advice! :wub:

Karen - yes! Thank-you! That's the show, Big Medicine. I agree, I find it fascinating to watch, although some stores are a bit sad. Still, I've learned so much from it, and as I watch these people be strong and continue to fight, it has helped me to gain my own strength and carry on with my own personal struggles.

Honestly, when you first wrote you had pictures of your liver, I thought you were just kidding! :smile2: lol Great idea of your doctor to get pictures, what a nice visual aid and encouragement to really shrink that liver! Congratz on doing such a good job! You're giving me inspiration :thumbup: (just curious - does the doctor give a picture to his patients? Image having your own picture of your liver! :blush: It would be something to be proud of! lolol:biggrin:).

AppleSmith - thanks for the encouragement! You are right, I really need to stick to my guns and do what needs to be done. 2 pounds a day - Congratz to you, that's terrific!

Amy - "my fellow Nemo lover" . . . that made me smile, I needed that, thanks! :wink: I can't thank-you enough for all your words of advice. I hope I do as well with helping others as you ladies have, when my turn comes to being the banded one! (only 10 more days! :tt1:) I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing, that you're healing great and up and out shopping already! I'm really hoping I'll be the same . . . just hearing how well people are doing, has really helped calm my nerves about having the surgery. You're another big inspiration for me! Update on me . . . I am MUCH better today. Whatever flu/cold bug hit me over the weekend, seems to have cleared up. Very odd to feel so weak and feverish for that one day. I'm just glad it's NOT the diet! Today I went and saw my Weight Lost doctor, my nutritionist, and an exercise physiologist. Whew! They were all pleased at my progress and weight loss though, so I was very happy with that. The nutritionist helped me with my pre-op diet . . . instead of drinking 4 HMR Protein shakes a day, I can substitute a special HMR chicken or Tomato Soup (same Protein and calories) or an HMR Protein Bar (again the same). This just helps break up the monotony of the diet a bit . . . I've tried the bars, they are very good and actually more filling than a shake.

Wow! Talk about rambling, lol. Please don't ever feel like you're writing too much, I really LOVE reading what you have to say (to all the wonderful people here!) It's really so helpful. I'm feeling great here, back on track and sticking to my plan . . . gonna make that weight loss ticker move MORE! I hope everything continues to go well for you Amy, keep up that great bionic healing! :thumbup:

Warm hugs,

Lori

Warm hugs ladies! I really appreciate all the support and advice! :tt1:

Karen - yes! Thank-you! That's the show' date=' Big Medicine. I agree, I find it fascinating to watch, although some stores are a bit sad. Still, I've learned so much from it, and as I watch these people be strong and continue to fight, it has helped me to gain my own strength and carry on with my own personal struggles.

Honestly, when you first wrote you had pictures of your liver, I thought you were just kidding! :scared2: lol Great idea of your doctor to get pictures, what a nice visual aid and encouragement to really shrink that liver! Congratz on doing such a good job! You're giving me inspiration :wink2: (just curious - does the doctor give a picture to his patients? Image having your own picture of your liver! :wub: It would be something to be proud of! lolol:biggrin:).[/quote']

Nope, not kidding!!! LOL I also have pictures of my band, and my hiatal hernia both before and after repair. And yes, he gave me copies that I have here at home. It's pretty cool and great show and tell! LOLOLOL I try not to leave them lying around though, they're a little disconcerting LOL.

I am proud of my liver though. I contracted Hep C a long time ago and went through two treatments before I was considered free of the virus and I have been so for five years now. So having a healthy looking liver means more to me than just having it ready for surgery.

Glad you're doing so well sis. I'm thinking of you every day and looking forward to my own banding time!

Keep up the good work and think of the better clothes we will be able to buy!! LOL

HUGS!!

Gosh, I just can't tell you all how motivating it is to read all of your posts and feel like I have a sisterhood of friends who are going through the exact same things I am! (sorry if there are any boys around...just haven't seen any yet!)

Stick to that pre-op diet!! I was on just shakes for 2 weeks also, and was tempted, but stuck to it without cheating, and also got compliments from my surgeon on the small size of my liver. Never thought I'd be motivated to see a photo of my liver, but when he offered, I said, "Of course!! I'd love to see it!"

I also lost weight very, very fast during the pre-op diet - 8 lbs each week. Enjoy it now, because it will probably slow down after surgery (mine did!)

Glad you are feeling better Lori! Good luck as you get closer to surgery! Be sure to let us know how it goes!!

Glad you're doing so well sis. I'm thinking of you every day and looking forward to my own banding time!

Keep up the good work and think of the better clothes we will be able to buy!! LOL

HUGS!!

Warm hugs Sis! Thanks so much for your support, it really means so much to me. I can't wait until I can buy a smaller size in clothes! I'm soooo tired of 2X sizes. Since I'm short (5'2") larger sizes just don't fit. I think clothes designers think the bigger you are, the taller you must be! :wub:

Anyway . . . good news to report! I've been sticking to my diet 100%, despite the hunger. And it's paid off! I got out of the "250's" (pounds - not hard, only two pounds to lose there), then out of the "240's", and today, I've reached my small goal of making it into the "230's" before surgery! woot! lol . . . I know it's probably not good to keep so focused on numbers, but it's helped me stay on plan, and I'm just taking it ten pounds at a time. I'm hoping to get into "onederland" (below 200 pounds) by summer . . . not sure how well I'll do, but I'm really gonna try!

Good luck to you too sis! Please keep at your journey, and let me know how you are doing! It's a long haul, but all soooo worth it. It really feels good to get back in control of your life!

big hugs! :tt2:

Gosh, I just can't tell you all how motivating it is to read all of your posts and feel like I have a sisterhood of friends who are going through the exact same things I am! (sorry if there are any boys around...just haven't seen any yet!)

Stick to that pre-op diet!! I was on just shakes for 2 weeks also, and was tempted, but stuck to it without cheating, and also got compliments from my surgeon on the small size of my liver. Never thought I'd be motivated to see a photo of my liver, but when he offered, I said, "Of course!! I'd love to see it!"

I also lost weight very, very fast during the pre-op diet - 8 lbs each week. Enjoy it now, because it will probably slow down after surgery (mine did!)

Glad you are feeling better Lori! Good luck as you get closer to surgery! Be sure to let us know how it goes!!

Thanks so much Becca! :thumbup: Surgery is this week, I'm a NERVOUS pre-bandster, lol. And you hit the nail on the head! It is motivating to read all the success stories, share experiences, etc. I agree, it is like a sisterhood & brotherhood! ;) I've said before, I just feel so blessed to be having surgery this month. I feel as if God blessed me with something special - all of the people here! :ohmy:

And you're the second person who saw a picture of your liver! OK I'm jealous, lol! I wonder if my doctor does that . . . I wanna see mine now! ROFL :wub: I've starved myself for 2 1/2 weeks on this pre-op diet, my dang liver had better be SHRUNK! LOL :(

Warm hugs Becca! Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing too! :tt2:

Thanks! I was struggling this morning as I stared at the scale and saw the same weight I've been at for 7 days. But I thought, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" and it made me feel better.

I'm glad too that I was banded in February - this is a great group to be part of and the support has been wonderful!