Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NOW I'M SCARED! I DONT WANNA FAIL ... ARE OTHERS GOING THROUGH THIS BUT FORCING THEMSELVES TO SOLDIER ON????

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=xVyITuJHK_Q]YouTube - 2 Failed LapBand Patients Talk about their MGB[/ame]

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=lVYXk_ZPis8&feature=related]YouTube - The Failed Lap Band:10 Years Later[/ame]

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=eo82IT1FlFc&feature=related]YouTube - Failed LapBand Patient Converted to MGB[/ame]

Dr. Rutledge (the one who seems to be the only one posting negative YouTube videos) has a stick up his butt. He is on a crusade or something against the LapBand. If you're actually wanting to go through with your surgery, I suggest you avoid the negative stuff, especially from him, as he seems to have an agenda. I'm not saying the stories are fabricated, but there are so many success stories, that is where I am putting my focus. Deep breath. You'll be okay.

There's always going to be different outcomes for different people. I've done so much research on the lapband and I wanted to know both the potential negatives and the potential positives. Wanted to know what might happen and where the challenges might lie. Is there anything in life that guarantees success, happiness, weath, longevity, etc.? I wish to believe I will be a success story. Don't let other people's experiences completely define your own. I'll put my soap box away! LOL

There are also negative stories about all forms of gastric bypass, about weight watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutri-System, Slim-Fast, the Subway Sandwich diet and even about people who go it alone and just watch what they eat and exercise (are they REALLY getting enough nutrients? Aren't they BOUND to fail?).

Remember, this doctor has a service to sell... and it will, justifiably, slant his opinion. It's just one opinion. In fact, my surgeon... whom I really like... told me that lap bands don't work when I met with him the first time. We talked about other options (including the gastric sleeve, which I wanted but wasn't covered by my insurance). Ultimately, I'm glad I chose the lapband (instead of the sleeve) and found that the Doc was just testing my fortitude to be sure that I understood that the band was only a tool and wouldn't work unless I did. I'm glad he was a hard-ass about it... it made me want it more and doubled my dedication to succeed.

I can only say what I have found in my experience and that is that the band does work as long as you work with it. Mine has never let me down.....EVER. But boy oh boy I have let it down a thousand times over which is why over 4 years out I am still trying to get to goal. I did however, lose 150lbs in the first year because my mind was in the right place but then it went awol and then my eating plan went with it and as hard as my band tried it ouldn't stop me eating the wrong foods. So weight went on. I am losing again at the moment, which is the beauty of the band, but I have to ask myself that if I had gone down a different WLS route, I probably would have lost most/all my excess weight and have been nipped/tucked and botoxed by now!!! But I still love my band - it just takes a bit more effort on my part.

quit looking at negatives---worry about things when they happen.and the percentages are small.

I watched that POS (pardon me.) and I laughed and then pitied the two poor people "sharing" their stories. Without knowing their entire story, and just giving an opinion based on what I saw: I have to say they were pretty irresponsible when it came to their band. Barfing "everyday" and being able to only eat chips, candy, chocolate milk, and other junk food; come on! "I haven't had a vegetable or an apple in years..." It is no wonder why they didn't lose weight and didn't feel good. I am surprised she didn't die from malnutrition! Apparently these two did not feel it was in their best interest to work with their band...they just let things happen to them, and then bitched when they didn't get the results they wanted.

I just want you to know I mainly LAUGHED.

I have not PB'd or slimmed once since banding. I also am able to eat veggies, fruit, meats, legumes, and all the other healthy stuff I used to avoid. I do not touch white bread, cakes, candy, soda, juice, potato chips, and mainly all other junk food. I eat until I feel full. Sometimes it takes a little to make me feel full, and other times it takes more. I try not to stress too much, and take it all in stride. ( I do miss brownies from time-to-time...)

Here's a little tidbit from another doctor about the MGB (mini gastric bypass) that Dr. Rutledge is touting as the end-all-be-all. Maybe it's great for some folks, but so is the lap band and so is RNY. This guy is no different from any other doctor seeking patients except that he chooses to only give you the good side of MGB. In reality, it's too early to tell about MGB or maybe ANY of the WLS out there. We're all taking a risk for our health... educated risks, but risks none-the-less.

Expert: John Pilcher, MD

Date: 8/28/2007

Subject: Mini Gastric Bypass Problems

Question

QUESTION: Can you tell me what the long term complications from a mini gastric bypass would be. Thanks.

ANSWER: Kim,

I will give you the best answer I can, but this will have to be provisional information for several reasons:

1) I don't do the mini gastric bypass

2) The anatomy of the mini gastric bypass has changed over time, so it is hard to pin down

3) There is very little research available on medium and long term outcomes after mini gastric bypass

One feature that has been constant in all the manifestations of the mini gastric bypass that I know of, is that bile and pancreatic juices travel up to bathe the stomach pouch and possibly the esophagus, before they mix with food and travel downstream. Constant exposure of the esophagus to these digestive juices can cause reflux/heartburn symptoms, and possible damage to the esophagus. There are not any reliable reports on how often this happens.

In recent years, the mini gastric bypass has structured the small intestinal anatomy in a way that creates malabsorption. This feature is intended to improve weight loss by causing nutrients to pass through without absorption. It usually causes foul smelling bowel gas and frequent loose bowel movements. More importantly, this aspect of the operation can lead to very serious nutritional deficiency.

Obviously, any bariatric surgical procedure can have complications and side effects. The impression of the bariatric surgical community as a whole is that these side effects are more common with the mini gastric bypass. The Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, the Lap-Band, and the gastric sleeve are all understood to give outcomes that are more predictable and more likely to be compatible with long term health.

I hope this is helpful,

Dr JP

I have heard negative things as well, but there are so many positives that I have also heard about lapband, and as with anything,people try to point out the bad aspects of things... I am personally sick of people telling me their negative stories!!! I am so ready to have this done, and no one is going to tell me or try to persuade me any different!!!

NOW I'M SCARED! I DONT WANNA FAIL ... ARE OTHERS GOING THROUGH THIS BUT FORCING THEMSELVES TO SOLDIER ON????

When I was researching the weight loss options left for me, I wanted to see the negatives first. Why? Because I had failed on so many diets and other doctor supervised plans, I wanted to see what went wrong.

Our website, this one we are on right now, gave me the negative info I was seeking. At the presentation the medical center gave they showed negatives.

What it all came down to for me was lifestyle. I didn't want to be operated on so long and have the RNY totally disrupt my life. The 5 years out on those patients show many gaining the weight back and having nutritional problems.

The Lap Band was non invasive, and doesn't disrupt your life. You can make simple changes in your lifestyle and suceed with the band. You can lose it slow and steady and make it a part of your life, instead of making weight loss your whole life.

All I can say is do lots and lots of research, contact anybody from this site and other sites like it. Have a frank discussion with your surgeon and his support staff, have the same conversations with your family.

The only thing that sort of scared me was the part where he said that the band had dug into her stomach after 7 years and it took him a long time to get it out (alien comment).. Does the band do this with everyone??

It seems that if stuff like this was happening, perhaps the band was too small or too tight and they weren't going to their doctor.. My doctor requires follow ups and my friend used him and has never puked through her nose or any other way.. she's never had any issues with her band and has lost over 100 pounds now.. Perhaps the older bands were different... I dunno...

I'm still getting my lap band.. It's a chance that's worth taking to me.

Short & simple look at it like this..

That's 2 videos of Lap Band negative stories.

I know at least 50 (and that's a modest number) of people here on Lapband Talk Forum, who could create a UTube video and post of the wonderful side of the lap-band.

It doesn't work for everyone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

I'm still watching the first video.. just something I noticed, sounds like the girl was way too tight. Said it was excruciating to drink Water before 3pm. She couldn't eat meat, veggies, or fruit for 7 years.. Shame on her doctor.