Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Slow?

I was banded on 8/6/07. I have only lost 31 pounds to date. Is this a very slow rate. I know that everyone loses differently but I feel like I'm way behind in the game. :lol:

I guess it depends on your number of fills, restriction level, exercise, and eating habits. But I would say that you're doing just fine. People lose at different rates. Given your numbers (31 pounds in 6 months) That's approximately 5 pounds per month which is just over 1 pound per week. The recommended healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. So I would say you're doing fine. When in doubt....ask your doctor, and keep your head up :lol:

I was banded on 8/6/07. I have only lost 31 pounds to date. Is this a very slow rate. I know that everyone loses differently but I feel like I'm way behind in the game. :)

I was also banded in august of 07 i dont want you to think im bragging but i have lost a 100 lbs . Are you sticking to the plan ? I lost 30lbs in the first week. I did start out at 357lbs now at 257lbs. its hard but well worth the effort. good luck

I was banded on 8/6/07. I have only lost 31 pounds to date. Is this a very slow rate. I know that everyone loses differently but I feel like I'm way behind in the game. :)

Slow compared to what YOU want or slow compared to others? I think that it is really important not to compare yourself to others. Everyone has a different lifestyle, different capabilities and expectations. If you are happy with your progress then that is great and as long as you are going forward .. keep going.

If you aren't happy and want to go fast there are ways to do it I think. I was only banded two days after you but I have really been pushing it with high intensisty cardio and getting fills frequently and staying in close contact with nutritionist and surgeon. I know that this is not possible for everyone - for example I don't have kids to take care of!

Good luck.

I was banded on 11/09/07 and I am only at 30lbs lost. I am constantly comparing myself against others on this site and sometimes I let it get to me, the fact that I am so behind everyone. But then I say the following:

Down from 26 to 22

No longer taking Metformin (for Diabetes),

My A1c is 6.4 without meds since October

No longer taking cholesterol medicine, since October

Cholesterol down from 220 to 164, ratios are great...

My face looks great, no sallow pale skin

And Sunday someone at Church said "what are you doing, you look like you are melting".

Fast isn't good, medium is great, but slow is still good because it is still a move in the right direction....

Good luck!

I was also banded in august of 07 i dont want you to think im bragging but i have lost a 100 lbs . Are you sticking to the plan ? I lost 30lbs in the first week. I did start out at 357lbs now at 257lbs. its hard but well worth the effort. good luck

People with higher BMIs tend to loose much quicker, that is what I was told by my surgeon, so if you have much less to lose then it will be slower!

I was banded on 11/09/07 and I am only at 30lbs lost. I am constantly comparing myself against others on this site and sometimes I let it get to me, the fact that I am so behind everyone. But then I say the following:

Down from 26 to 22

No longer taking Metformin (for Diabetes),

My A1c is 6.4 without meds since October

No longer taking cholesterol medicine, since October

Cholesterol down from 220 to 164, ratios are great...

My face looks great, no sallow pale skin

And Sunday someone at Church said "what are you doing, you look like you are melting".

Fast isn't good, medium is great, but slow is still good because it is still a move in the right direction....

Good luck!

Molly you are doing great my Bandster Pal!!

As you know we were banded on the same day. When you can compare how you felt and looked the day before surgery compared to now......all the things we have changed is far better than leaving them they way they were. I believe whole heartedly that the slower you lose the easier it is for your skin to catch up and your body to not freak out once at goal weight and start storing everything you take in again.

Rapid weight loss can cause the body to think you are starving it. Hence when you begin to eat more it stores it as fat.....:) food for thought!!

Molly you go girl you are doing AWESOME!!

Slow is better than no.

I did have to remind myself many times in the last 18 months to eat clean, to exercise and to keep my eyez on the prize. It will come if you work it. Even a pound a week is 52 in a year, 104 in 2 years. It will come.....keep working it and good luck.

As long as the scale is going downward, instead of upward, you should be happy.

30 lbs in 6 months isn't bad at all, and it'll be 60 lbs in a year if you keep going at your current rate. :)

It all depends on what effort you actually put into it. For example I could lose weight quicker if I cut more calories as I currently consume about 1700 a day. I exercise about 500 to 700 off per day. Some people consume less than 1000! I think I would go crazy if I did that. I drink a high calorie (175) mocha per day- it keeps me sane and happy. If I cut that out I could lose 18 more pounds per year, but it is not worth it to me.

On the positive I track my calories and exercise, and drink my Water. I do everything possible, expect of course give up Starbucks. Oh well when I can't lose those last 20 pounds I guess I will know why.

Hi Overweightmom,

I think you're doing great! 50 pounds a year is what my doctor said would be successful. (You're on the way to 60!) People lose weight at different rates, just look at why we all had the band. I have just started my journey but learned a few things during many of my previous weight loss attempts.

1. Measure yourself....sometimes we lose inches rather than pounds, and we can feel successful during our plateaus of we're wearing a smaller size.

2. Body fat analysis...another GREAT way to look at your acheivements when the scale isn't budging

3. Like MollyBrown, look at your medical information. How are your blood tests? How is your energy? Don't you feel lighter and healthier after losing 30 pounds?

If you're worried, make sure you're following your program, getting the Protein and Water you need, but don't beat yourself up. Slower is often time better.

Katie

Overweightmom,

I am right there with you. I know what it feels like to lose slowly. I am 4 months out and since the surgery, I have only lost 18 pounds. For me this is ridiculous. And just because you started with a high BMI doesnt gaurantee fast weight loss either. I eat less than 1000 calories a day and work out at least 5 days a week for at least one hour. I follow the rules. I have been over and over what I could be doing differently. Sometimes I even think I am crazy, but nonetheless, I should be happy that 18 more pounds have disappeared forever. Hang in there. Us slow losers are not failing in any way, we are just not built for fast losing. On the bonus side, because we are losing slowly, we are giving our skin time to retract!! Please dont compare yourself to others, it will only make you lose your inspiration! If you need support we are always here to hear you out!

CONGRATULATIONS on your success!

Melissa

(slow loser)