Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Stuck/Slime/PB Episode

OMG I wanted to die! It was so horrible. Not only was it painful but it was so embarrassing. Warning... this is graphic and might contain too much information. Stop reading if you don't want the gory details.

I was at the mall with my daughter and it was free Auntie Ann's pretzel day so of course we got one and went to sit down. I took a small bite of mine and then had a bit of her cinnamon one that I must not have chewed well, or eaten it too fast. I wasn't paying much attention and I should have been.

I felt the pain in my chest but figured it was just a normal slightly stuck feeling and it seemed to subside. So I gave up on the pretzel... it was my first doughy bread bite since banding... and got some chick-fil-a nuggets and sauce for lunch. I ate half of one and chewed well, but I don't think the pretzel must have gone all the way down so the chicken just seemed to sit on it and that was all it took. I was for sure stuck. It hurt like hell in my chest and my back. I just sat there with my daughter waiting for it to pass as the pain usually does fairly quickly. This time it did not. I spent an hour and 15 minutes in the food court in misery. I couldn't talk, couldn't move and I started sliming like crazy. I have never experienced anything like it. I went through about 30 napkins as I just held them over my mouth and slimed into them. I just wanted to die of embarrassment.

The pain was awful and the slime was disgusting. I kept trying to burp it up but it wasn't moving. I did eventually get hiccups but that didn't help either. I just wanted to die... have I said that already? Finally when my lower stomach started cramping I made my way across the food court to the bathroom and by the time I got there I was ready to vomit. I heaved twice and the first one was a gallon of slime, the second was well chewed chicken nugget. I felt better after that, but my stomach is very sore and I've put myself on liquids until tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it was worse because I was so embarrassed, but I can imagine that I will definitely be much more careful when eating anywhere other than home. I never want to go through that again.

That's my story.

Heather, I feel so sorry for you. I know it must have really hurt, and not only your pride. I had not had even a slight stuck until yesterday. I was at home eating with my husband. I had fixed some fish and some spinach for us to eat. I had fixed him some other things too. Well, on my first bite of fish I told my husband that I could not chew it well enough. It was just too tough to break down. I don't know if I overbaked it or what. I chewed and chewed. I decided to try the spinach and I think it is what got stuck. Luckily I recognized it immediately and stopped eating. I only had a slight episode o sliming and PBing. The spinach did come back up. But on a scale of 1 to 10, the pain level was just a 3 and only lasted about 10 minutes. Taught me a good lesson. I did take a papaya enzyme tablet which I had read on this board that works. It is easier to carry around than pineapple juice. I got a bottle of it at GNC for less than $2 and it's chewable.< /p>

Bottom line, I am now wary of anything I put into my mouth.

Dang.

All you had to say was the Auntie Anne pretzel and I was there. omg...ahhhhhhh. You learned didn't you. (smiles)

I applaud you for staying with it that long. I myself bolted from my house to the backyard and like my cat, I hacked up the slime all around the yard. *you have to understand my husband has a really warped sense of humor* and he's observing me from the patio window making sure I don't go down. The dog is staring, the cats are at the window wondering what happened to mommy.

Nevermore.

At that time it was stir fried rice. Nevermore.

Another time it was spaghetti. Nevermore.

Next time if you can, get something warm like tea and sip swallow.

The best way to avoid a PB is to recognize that chest feeling and know that it hasn't gone down yet. Putting more food in is exactly like flushing the toilet when it's clogged. (there's a visual for ya)

Luck.

So sorry, not to laugh, but welcome to Bandland! The absolute worst spit back I ever had was from a pretzel, and it was one of those mini ones. I was on my way out the door, grabbed one, chewed, NOT well enough, swallowed!!! OMG, I spit for probably 1/2 hour.

Chew, chew, chew...:rolleyes:)

LOL! You guys have me cracking up. Yes... I forsee a life without soft pretzels. Good thing they're not a normal item in my diet. The bad thing is when you tell me (or I tell me) I can't have something I want it even worse!

So what's the trick to throwing up right away? If I had walked to the bathroom earlier do you think it would have come up as easily as it did when I finally felt able to make it?

As for the papaya enzime, I have some... AT HOME! LOL all I could think of was that I'm putting some in my purse for future purposes. I almost sent my daughter down the mall to GNC for more, but I was too scared for her to leave me alone.

I had my first PB this weekened. I was eating a grilled chicken wrap in the car with my husband and 3 kids. Well, I must have not chewed the chicken up well enough, because it got stuck. I had to slime/puke in the sonic bag while driving in the car.

Wasnt pretty! :)

My first PB was also on a chicken nugget from Chick-fil-a. It was terrible!!! Mine went down though after about 15-20 minutes. It scared me really bad and I have no plans to be picking up food from Chick-fil-a again! I do like their diet lemonade though!! :)

I haven't heard about the Papaya enzyme or pineapple juice....how does that help? What do you do?

I had my first episode about a week ago. It was from a piece of baked fish. It was soft really and I never expected it to get stuck. Oh my the pain was unbearable!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know that this "sliming" occured. Boy... that is exactly what I was puking up. So gross and so painful. I have to say... I really feel that there was no warning. I was fine, then in deep pain the next minute. Episode lasted about a good 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, even though this was your first experience with this, it won't be your last. You will be more prepared now though.

I always wait before I take the next bite of anything to make sure it went through. My pbs have come to a minimum, but I still have them and they hurt, and the slimming goes on and on. You need to keep spitting it out and not swallow it. That makes it worse. Eventually,

whatever is stuck, will go through,or you will pb it up. yuk. I hate it.

Papaya enzyme and pineapple juice are supposed to break down foods that get stuck. I read that in several posts on this website. I also read that they break down Proteins so if it's bread or Pasta that is stuck, it might not work. I plan to take it everytime I get stuck and see what happens. It's supposed to help the sliming also.

Yea, it's an enzyme that breaks the food down so it will pass through the band. The papaya enzymes do work, but not quickly. I have never had pineapple juice work. I have heard that other people get it to work though. All I do is throw it up. You can get the papaya enzymes at Walmart with the Vitamins. They are in alphabetical order so look near

the other things that start with "P" I fill up and old medicine bottle and keep them in my purse. It takes about 6 to do the job. Luckily, they taste good.