Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering....

do pancakes fall into the bread category? Has anyone been successful eating pancakes? I was banded on 12/6/07 and haven't tried any type of bread, Pasta or rice, but wondered about pancakes. My brother's church is hosting a pancake supper this week and I would like to go, but pancakes are one of my favorite foods, so if there is a possibility that they will get stuck, I'll stay home. I don't want to be around something so tempting; at the same time, I have yet to have anything get stuck or come back up and I'm not looking to have that happen anytime soon. Thanks to everyone - I really enjoy reading the posts out here.

Cynthia

12/6/07

299/285/257/?

:smile:

I have a little different attitude from you: I'll try almost anything to see my reaction to it. I guess you have to hit me over the head before I learn anything.

I was wondering about pancakes myself this morning. I bet if you put enough Syrup and butter on them they would slide on through!

Have you had a fill yet? PBing isn't usually a problem until after at least one fill.

I am having trouble deciding what to eat on a daily basis.

Do you eat whatever you're making for dinner, in small portions.

I know chips and queso are prob high calories, but I can get them down.

I never have trouble getting a chip down. Doesn't it figure? If it's good for me, I have problems. Like oranges are just miserable for me. But the bad stuff like chips are a breeze. Doesn't seem fair does it. I also have a lot of trouble with rice. I don't normally fix it, but had a couple of bites of my sons terriyaki chicken yesterday and was in misery. I figure the rice was awful sticky and must have clumped up. Won't do that again.

I will normally eat what I fix for my family, but do try to limit the carbs. If its something really bad I'll pop in a south beach entree or open up some Soup.

do pancakes fall into the bread category? Has anyone been successful eating pancakes? I was banded on 12/6/07 and haven't tried any type of bread, Pasta or rice, but wondered about pancakes. My brother's church is hosting a pancake supper this week and I would like to go, but pancakes are one of my favorite foods, so if there is a possibility that they will get stuck, I'll stay home. I don't want to be around something so tempting; at the same time, I have yet to have anything get stuck or come back up and I'm not looking to have that happen anytime soon. Thanks to everyone - I really enjoy reading the posts out here.

Cynthia

12/6/07

299/285/257/?

:smile:

If you're worried about getting it stuck and PBing, maybe you could get some pancake mix and try one in the privacy of your home first, that way you'll know whether or not you can handle it. I've never PBed or slimed either, so I don't usually try new things in public. I also try to limit carbs but I think it's okay to eat treat myself every now and then. Go, have fun, and enjoy!

It depends on how restricted you are. As I have gotten tighter the list of things that I can't eat gets longer. I would didn't eat pancakes before but I would imagine if you aren't very restricted you might be able to get some down soaked in Syrup (not suggesting that!) good luck

I still have no idea what it means when you all speak of the "mushy" stage. Is that the same as my puree stage, or the same as my soft food stage?

At any rate, I was given the okay for pancakes for my soft food stage and they went down just fine! :wink2: They were amazingly yummy (just 1 big one and I was full) and then I tried a buckwheat one a couple days ago and that was even healthier and yummier!

Give it a try. Make sure it's total mush before you swallow. Eat slowly and enjoy every bite. It was heaven...but don't do this without talking to your own personal physician first. :)

I have no trouble with pancakes, I do try to use SF Syrup, but, that is strictly a personal choice.

I agree, that a trial run sounds like a great idea!!!

Small bites, and go VERY slowly, one pancake is usually plenty! They hit me sudden, when I am full it is quick, and I am very full, so I always go slowly!

Enjoy!

Kat

Hi, I was banded on Feb 14th, 07 and I cannot eat pancakes or waffles! I have a wonderful waffle maker and I enjoy making them.... So I make them for everyone else. LOL Good luck if you go to the pancake dinner. I hope you can eat one and enjoy it.

Debbie

I'd do a trial run too with something like that. Its easy enough to make a pancake.

I can eat them SLOWLY and I can only eat maybe 3/4 of one. And I avoid them becuase they're so darn good with LOADS of butter and maple Syrup.

I'd be unlikely to actually PB on a pancake, they're just one of those ouch that hurts going through foods for me.

I don't think anyone would recommend a steady breakfast diet of pancakes--or any other meal for that matter! But in the case of something like this pancake dinner she wants to attend with her family--------I personally would make the exception to my usual diet.

In my own case, I chose not to diet. To try to live as normally, and eat as normally as possible. If I do anything, I will up my exercise, and keep my food intake normal. I want to live today the same way I want to live the remainder of my life, and for me that includes the occasional pancakes, dessert, ice cream, whatever.

I am not a super fast loser, but it is coming off just the same, and I have never yet felt deprived.

For me, the second I think about not being able to have something---I crave it until that is all I can think about!!! Possibly the cause of my obesity!!! Luckily the band has made it possible for me to allow all foods in moderation, and not feel deprived.

Isn't it interesting how we all ended up overweight due to different reasons, and we all have to find our own way out of the obesity even with the band? We all talk about Dr.'s instructions being different, and we are ALL different anyway!!!

If you can continue avoiding the carbs Debbie, that is awesome! I commend you for it! I wish I had that drive or ability!

Kat

I've basically cut out all bread type items - bread, Bagels, english muffins, regular muffins, pancakes, etc. I do eat rice (when I have sushi) and I do eat Pasta. I also eat all the other garbage, Cookies, cake, pie, ice cream, chips. I guess I just got scared when I went to the seminar and they said bread will get stuck. I had a bad experience with broccoli bread, I got sick 5 times. After that I decided never again.

Honestly, I really don't miss the bread.

I try everything once.. sometimes up to 10x's (damn bread).

Before my first successful fill, I could eat 1/2-3/4 of 1 pancake from Cracker Barrell.

Now, one bite is doom. C'est la vie.