Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice, Wisdom or Encouragement

Hi, Everyone!

I am looking for a little advice. I was banded August of 07 and everything has been great since then. Each fill gave me a little more restriction and lasted for about 4 weeks before needing adjustment. I have lost steadily and am currently at about 42 poinds lost. Here is the problem: My last fill was on December 19th and this fill has been very confusing. At the time of the fill I did the barium swallow and had one adjustment right then, did another swallow and went out into the hall way to drink half a bottle of Water to insure things were ok. The water went down and everything seemed fine. Keep in mind that I have moved 1600 miles away from my original surgeon and continue to fly home for aftercare. Since this fill I have had vomiting and sliming. I can't drink anything cold until mid afternonon and even then sometimes the Fluid just seems to be sitting on top of the band. If this was constant I would know that I needed an unfill. But there is no rhyme or reason to this. Some meals I can sit and eat a whole chicken breast with no problem. The next meal I may not be able to keep a spoonful down. It isn't every day, it is random. I do try to stick to band friendly foods and eat slowly and chew everything to a paste. In the last few days the scale has actually gone up about 5 pounds. I am going back to the doctor on February 8th, but I am scared to death pf getting an unfill. I know that things can't continue as they are, but the thought of an unfill scares me to death.

Have any of you experienced this? If so, how did things work out.

I know I need to find a local doctor, the though of changing less than a year into this is just a little overwhleming.

Thanks for your help!:party:

Are you eating new "problem" foods and not yet recognizing them? Do you notice any change with your cycle(if you have one)?

These "problem" foods vary for everyone, and can come on with each fill, or from day to day these may change. One shred of iceburg lettuce.. and it's over for me.

Cold shake in the a.m. and I won't eat till after noon. Cold tightens me right up... good luck with all the issues.

Cold bothers me in the morning after this last fill. But, all the foods are pretty much the same. I always start with my Protein and add from there. Mostly chicken and fish. No breads or pata's or rice. I guess if it was always tight the decision to get an unfill would be easy.. But the randomness of the symptoms are confusing. Some days I can get in 6 bottles (16 oz) of Water down with no problem and other days it is a challenge swallowing my own saliva. Thanks for the input!

With restriction, I am surprised that you can eat chicken at all. I could still eat chicken for months.. now never white meat. I did not have problem foods for a long time.. now I have several. Maybe things will settle down with a bit more weight coming off ? or go for a tiny unfill? Great luck and health to you. :party: ((((hugs))))

BOTH times i needed unfills this is exactly what happened to me.

I get all my fills under flouro , can drink Water fine after my fills.

Keep in mind your fills can take up to a week to kick in if not longer for some people, also your stomach can swell after a fill. That is why my doc requires 6 days of liquids post fill. By time i get to even semi solids If im having issues I KNOW Im too tight.

Honestly It sounds like your probably in need of an unfill.

I dont get people being SO afraid of an unfill. If your TOO TIGHT your too tight. I was a little worried because i did not know what to expect. but if you get an unfill , you WILL Still have restriction , think about it , your TOO tight NOW , so if they take out some ( and they only take out A little ) you will be restricted still. Your NOT Going to gain a TON of weight back. The unfill puts you where you SHOULD Have been with the original fill. I Have discovered that ( along with my doc) that I am sensitive to fills and have to go slower with the amounts. For example instead of 1cc at a time I have to do half a cc or less . I cant tolerate 1cc fills . If you THINK you need an unfill or if your not comfortable eating the way you are and your PBing often you probably need an unfill !

HTH

Mindy

Cold bothers me in the morning after this last fill. But, all the foods are pretty much the same. I always start with my Protein and add from there. Mostly chicken and fish. No breads or pata's or rice. I guess if it was always tight the decision to get an unfill would be easy.. But the randomness of the symptoms are confusing. Some days I can get in 6 bottles (16 oz) of Water down with no problem and other days it is a challenge swallowing my own saliva. Thanks for the input!

I missed this post. It is confusing when its random like this . But if your having problems with your own Saliva even on some days I would venture to guess your too tight. That's not safe to stay THAT Tight !

Have you called your doc ?

Where in Texas are you ?

Mindy

Thnaks Mindy and Mazie for the advice. I am actually living in Jew Jersey right now...have been for the past four months but fly in and out of Houston for aftercare. Part of that is because I really like my doctor and then part of it is to be able to get home and see my three sons (25, 23 and 19) and my family. I KNOW I need to find a doctor up here even if it is only temporary. I know the unfil makes sense, I'm just hoping they don't take two much out and within days of flying back to NJ I am ravenous. No problems yesterday or today...we will see what happens between now and the 8th when I return to the doctor. BTW in Texas I lived in Kingwood and Clear Lake for the last 15 years. Surgery was done by Dr. Hollis at True Results. Thanks again for your support!

i was like that for about a week after my last fill. first, i quit trying to drink anything cold until the evening...it wasn't going down...no matter what. i was the same with foods, i could always eat more than i could drink, but i just never knew when it would be ok.

then i lost some weight, loosened up now i can drink and eat fine. i think that by 2/8 if you are still that miserable you may want an unfill, however, it is likely to ease up on you some by then (per my experience only).

true restriction sounds like that from a lot of people

I have been totally random in my restriction - going from tight/good to horribly too tight. It is definately tied into my cycle and also stress. My nut. also said that you start knowing and not attempting certain foods at certain times of the day and you can read your body better. I guess I am a slow learner!

Hi there all! I got my 3rd fill three weeks ago. I was quite a bit more restricted after the fill but the past two days have been much worse. I can swallow Water but much thicker than that seems to be a no no most of the day. Mushy is about all I can tolerate.... should I consider an unfill? I do have the pain each time I get stuck and have PB'd quite a few times in past week that may have irritated my stomach and created some swelling I suppose??