Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-scale Victories!

I noticed this morning that when I walked up the stairs at work I was still able to carry on the conversation with a co-worker. (vs. panting for air)

That makes me excited.

Please tell us about your favorite, newest, or most memorable non-scale victory! We have many little victories in the war on obesity and I think it is important to recognize as many of them as we can to sustain us when we get in a rut.

That's where I am, stuck in a rut! I am trying to remember some of my NSVs to sustain me trough this, but it sure helps to hear from you guys too. Often times I can read them and go "Oh yeah, I can do that now too!". It really does help me and hopefully it will help others too.

So let's hear them! :biggrin:

Jack....time for a new belt buddy!

My daughter has been asking how she can grow up and be strong....I can tell her without feeling like a hypocrite....better yet, I am SHOWING her by example.

rain

First off, let me just say what a wonderful thread this is and I hope that it will keep getting added too. I know I definitely will be back with more NSV's in the future...but for now here is my first public NSV; like 9 months ago I went to a fellow SAHM's house for a playdate and she invited me out onto her back porch so that we could keep an eye on the kids playing in the back yard. Well to my panic I looked around and noticed that all the patio chairs had "arms" on them and I could tell by just looking that there was no way my rear end was going to fit (even to squeeze - which I can't do due to some nerve damage in my left thigh from a severe car accident 10 years ago). So I just stood there like an idiot as she sat down and sipped her drink. Now it was obvious that something was wrong cos' how stupid does it look when having a conversation while one person is sitting and the other is just standing there! Anyway, she ended up asking me if I'd like to sit and I felt I had to tell her what the problem was, even though it was extremely embarrassing, so she went in to the house and brought me out one of her dining room chairs w/o arms. I was just glad that it was only the two of us. Anyway, my NSV happened last week when I went over to this same friends house and again we went to the back porch...and there where those same patio chairs; but this time without really thinking about it, I sat down!!! And low and behold - I FIT!!! It wasn't a perfect fit but it was comfortable enough that it didn't bother my thigh. I was so elated I even mentioned it to her and she was like "oh yeah, right I remember now...that's awesome!!!" ... So there it is, sorry for the long description but I wanted you to have the whole picture since it was an important moment!!! Peace to all. KKG

I actually had to move the seat closer to the stearing wheel in the car this AM. It officially does not have to be the whole way back to accomodate my stomach anymore! WOOOHOOOOO

I actually had to move the seat closer to the stearing wheel in the car this AM. It officially does not have to be the whole way back to accomodate my stomach anymore! WOOOHOOOOO

Wow, Kelintx, that's awesome and congrats on your incredible weight loss. Care to share any tips with us on how you did it; what worked best, what didn't, etc. Any input from such a big loser would be greatly appreciated seeing how I need to lose 141 lbs. to get to goal. Thanks in advance. Live well/be well. KKG

I wore a pair of pants I haven't been able to wear in over two years. I went shopping in my closet....found tons of stuff I can wear that I haven't been able to!!!

The last time I went snowboarding I cried for 2 reasons:

1) I was so embarrassed about my lack of ability because of my weight and....

2) I knew then that I was scheduled for my surgery and would never have to feel that shame again well..............

I went snowboarding with the family yesterday and it was awesome. My kids were saying things like..."you did not even stop once" or " every time I looked back you were right with us". This is one of my biggest NSV's to date. It is so fun to do something as a family and not be the one lagging behind or having to quit early!!! I am so proud of myself and trust me that is not something I say often (maybe not ever)!!!!

I could also get up on my board from a sitting position....before I always had to flip over (resembling a beached whale on snow) and get up on my knees first, but now I can get up the normal way. My kids however did not think that was a bid deal because they could always do it and never realized that I couldn't! Oh well...I was proud!

Also, last time nothing fit. I had to wear my thin jacket with the bottom of the zipper half way up just to go around my butt...this time same jacket with another jacket underneath and still had plenty of room and a size large snow pants! I did not want to buy the new jacket until next year when I am at goal!!!!

Thanks for listening....can you hear the excitement????

People are starting to notice my weight loss. I'm lovin' it! :unsure:

I got a regular skimpy hotel around my bod without any gap! OMG! I cannot believe this is really me.

I love NSVs!

:lol::eek::tt1::lol::smile2::biggrin:

Whaho! I just saved a ton of material on my jeans! I went to by a pair of size 12 jeans and all they had were 8s and 10s, so I though what the heck, I'll try the 10s. AND THEY FIT!!!!!! :tt2: :rolleyes2:

I have not worn a size 10 jean since I was 12 years old. 30 years ago, wow. I love my band. I love my band. I love my band. I cannot believe this, its an incredible journey, lately I've been on the scenic route but I think I just found the car for the fast track.

Vrooom!!!!!!!!

Laura - that's wonderful! Gosh - I don't think I've EVER been a size 10!

I shared this NSV in another thread with my February 2008 friends, but it was so encouraging, I'm gonna share it here.

Last November, I had to fly to Dallas, and on the plane, the belt was so tight, my tummy hung over the top and I had to cover it with my magazie so the flight attendent wouldn't make me wear a belt extender in front of my work friends! Yikes! I was so embarassed it was one of the reasons I decided to take the LB plunge.

Anyway, I flew to DC last week, and the belt was actually loose - with about 4 inches of slack! And my butt didn't make the arm rest pop up in between me and my seat mate. I loved every minute of the flight.

OK

one of my cats has been sick. And I woke up this morning to find that he puked all over my 2 pairs of jeans in a size 30. The ones that have fit.

ACK no jeans on friday!

So I was looking for another pair of 30 to wear and found only 28's So I tried one on and it FIT!

Yippie! I am working down sizes!

Now to fix my cat. poor baby

I can't really notice weight loss in myself, partially because it has come off slowly. But I notice my jeans sizes going down. I went from a size 26 at the height of my weight to size 24, size 22, and now size 20! I can even fit into size 18 and size 16 but they are extremely tight, so I know that is not really my size. It will be nice when I can fit into a size 16 comfotably. Now I go try on jeans for fun. Its a good barometer of weight loss regardless of what the scale says.