Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-scale Victories!

Sometimes I get so caught up in the scale movement (or not), that I forget that I have made a lot of progress and I am still making progress. As a reminder to myself, I write down those little victories in my food journal so that if I start beating myself up or feeling down about not losing fast enough to suit me, I can go back and review my progress and feel much better (usually). Remember, muscle weighs more than fat and as we workout and make the exchange, the scales my be stagnant, but our bodies and our lives are still changing for the better.:biggrin:

For instance, I went on a trip to Antigua last week and I had to buy bathing suits. I cannot tell you how long it has been since that was a fun experience! Or since heads turned (toward me and not the other direction to laugh) when I walked out of the fitting room to model. Then, when I got on the plane, I didn't have to suck it all in to buckle the seatbelt. I actually had about 8-9 inches left over on the strap! Yeah!!!!:hurray:

Now that I have tooted my horn, I would like to hear yours. What are some of your most recent and/or most prized NON-SCALE victories*? If you haven't thought about it, you really should. It is not ALL about the scale.

I look forward to hearing about your victories.

*Non-scale victories are changes as a result of your weight loss efforts that do not depend on the scale moving (i.e. getting off medication, being able to walk two blocks without panting, playing on the floor with your kids/grandkids and being able to get up, unassisted).

Being able to reach the pedals in my Jeep!! I got to move the seat forward about 3 1/2 inches all the way up. My tummy does NOT touch the steering wheel anymore and my feet touch the ground. I was driving w/ my tip toe.

wombat

That is a great accomplishment. Thank you for sharing that story. Sometimes it is the tiniest things that we don't even realize that we lost the ability to do until we get it back. People who can tie their own shoes on the top of the shoe (vs the side because we cannot reach our feet directly) and people who can see their feet for that matter.

Congratulations on this victory and may you savor every one!

Laura

Thanks Laura - you too!!! It looks like we both have about the same amount to go.

It is very exciting that people are noticing how we look now rather than being the invisible fat person (or unisex!).

I am very happily married yet it is nice to be noticed :frown:

May we both experience many more NSV's!!!

wombat

I am so close I can almost taste it, but then I might gain weight! :-}

I have a NSV!!! I had surgery October 26th 2007 and did my measurements the day before surgery. I just redid them yesterday (3 months post op) and had gone down 6 (SIX!) inches in my abdomen!!! (around my belly button). That was amazing to me and I had to remeasure about ten times to make sure I hadn't gotten it right. I have only lost about 18 pounds, which is discouraging to me, but that brightened my day a lot!!!

That's great! Its not ALL about the scale. Sometimes we need gentle reminders about that.

I had a pedicure yesterday for the first time since August and my butt didn't pop the arms off the chair out like it used to do. WOO HOOO!!!

It was nice being pampered.

Rain

I noticed this morning that I didnt have the welt on my back from my bra diging in. WOO HOO!

I just had a HUGE NSV last night! A family picture! Actually my first one ever really, and I am sad to say my kids are 9 & 8.

Good job all! Every step is important.

BBK, don't worry about the things you haven't done, focus on all the things that you can do now. Your kids are young and just entering the years where they will remember all the things you do with them, going to little league and football games, and playing soccer. Best of all though, you won't have to worry that other kids are teasing your kids because of your size (as my kids unfortunately did). You can be the "cool Mom" on the block.

I wish the band had been an option for me when my kids were younger, but I am getting a second chance with my grandson now!

post-230285-13813136385196_thumb.jpg

I have not been Banded a month. I am losing weight, walking, and stopped dipping tobacco. I have lost some weight feeling really good. No very many people have noticed. I mean I am a big man so I need a lot to lose. Last night I was walking with my 11 year old daughter and she hugged me and said... Daddy my arms fit all the way around you.

That is the best compliment I have ever had in my life.... Nothing else compares....

I have not been Banded a month. I am losing weight, walking, and stopped dipping tobacco. I have lost some weight feeling really good. No very many people have noticed. I mean I am a big man so I need a lot to lose. Last night I was walking with my 11 year old daughter and she hugged me and said... Daddy my arms fit all the way around you.

That is the best compliment I have ever had in my life.... Nothing else compares....

That, FLMan is really terrific! As are our children, I am sure she is a big part of the reason that you are doing this too. Just think of what size you will be by the time you attend her high school and college graduations, better ye, when you walk her down the isle! It is a long journey back down but we can all do it together.

Great job with the belt too Jack! Maybe the next step will be a NEW belt.

ShalomToAll, I think you will find that the energy continues to increase as long as you eat the right foods. The band controls the QUANTITY, but it is up to us to control the QUALITY.;)