Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to site from Louisiana

I'm in Shreveport. I am scheduled to be banded on March 17th....self pay: $15,000. My doctor doesn't require a pre-op diet for 2 weeks...thank goodness. I think I have to do Clear Liquids the day before surgery only.

I am sooOOooo excited about having this done. I just decided about a week ago...I know that seems crazy. I expect to lose 100 pounds in 6 months.

Anyone else from NW Louisiana?:shades_smile:

Good luck to you, Know you will do it!

hi there, i'm being banded next tuesday, the 11th. i'm very excited but struggling with the idea of never eating a certain way again. is it true NO starches ever? i can go a long time without them, but the idea i'll never get to have gooey garlic bread again saddens me.

Hello and Good luck to you with the band.

I reside in Slidell and I am having the band on March 10th , 2008 I am so excited but scared at the same time. I have been trying to get approved prior Katrina and finally the day as come. When time permits I would like to chat with you to see what you thought and what is any problems or concerns you have experinced for far. I am 212 and want to lose 100 pounds I weighed that prior to moving here in La where food is the main thing for everything and it is so good :0 now I see food different after classes and therpy. But I want to cgat with others that have same or somewhat the same issues. I was a surgerical Nurse in OR and injuried my back and now aI suffer from 6 failed surgeries and sciatic nerve damage 60% of my body but I am determined to lose the weight and go one with my life, I have a three yera old soon to be 4, and a 33 yera old so I have alot of living to do. Anyone want to chat email me or leave me a message.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Continue the good weight lose.

Kourtney

Kourtney Franke would you please email my Sister in Slidell La...She is wanting to have it done..Her email is Mirandabay@aol.com..I know you will feel alot better when you have it done..I got the lap-band Jan,14. 2008..I feel sooooooo good..It has change my life..Take Care...My email is Blondielundy@comcast.net....I live in Jacksonville Florida..Email me when you can..Thank You Very Much Linda

hello all

first post on the forum...i'm also from south louisiana...born in morgan city and now reside in kaplan....

had my first consultation with the doctor at southwest medical today..

Dr gary stevens....i felt he was kinda pushing me more towards the gastric bypass....i want the lap-band.....the idea of re-routing my plumbing just don't turn me on...and its so permanent...

my wife and i decided to do this together...and are both leaning more towards the band than the other....

i weigh 364 and need to lose about 164 to get to my ideal weight

my wife needs to lose about 100 to put her at her ideal weight

so as this journey moves along.....you guys should see me around here....lol

Randy..:shades_smile:

From what I hear and have experienced, most doctors are recommending the vertical sleeve and gastric bypass more than the lap band.

I am having my surgery done on March 11 and had my mind made up about getting the band but when I went to my last appointment, I talked with some of his post op patients and the vertical sleeve sounds very promising ... low maintenance and no slips or errosion. I have to admit that if my insurance approves the change that I will go with the vertical sleeve. If not then I will just be happy with the band because either way I will be lighter.

I will be banded on 3/12 -- exactly 2 weeks from when I got approval, which is really remarkable. I'm getting nervous about it as the time is FLYING by. We have a lot of other stuff going on right now (house remodel, work stuff) and I've wondered if now is a bad time to get this done, but really, we've worked it into our schedule very pristinely, thus far. I don't think so much about it right now, but I'm 1 week out, so it's starting to settle heavier on my mind that this is a life change.

I keep fearing it won't work, either but folks tell me it will and I've seen a lot of success stories. So, here's taking the leap of faith.

:thumbup:

Thanks For Wishing Me Luck. I Know The Lap Band Will Work Out Just Fine For You. I Went Through It On Jan, 14th 2008, And Have Lost 35lbs So Far. I Weighted 192 Before The Lap Band And Now I Weight 157. I Want To Get To 125. I Was A Self Paid Too. I Want My Sister In Slidell To Go Through It. What Doctor Are You Using There? Miranda Weights 250lbs. I Used Robert Cywes, Here In Jacksonville, Fl. He Is Really Good. His Number Is 904-399-4004. I Go For My Second Fill On The 10th Of This Month. Make Sure If You Get The Lap Band Done, You Don't Drink Anything 30 Mins Before And After Your Meal, But I'm Sure They Will Tell You All That. I Forgot I Once And Felt A Tightness And Never Did It Again. I Haven't Had Any Problems So Far. If There Is Anything I Can Help You With Just Call Me 904-619-5620. (linda)

Good Luck To You. I'm Here For You If You Need To Talk Or Have Any Questions. Take Care, Linda

I Wish You Well, I Know About The Lap Band, But Only Know Of 1 Person With The Gastro, She Weighted 306 And Now She Weights 140 A Year Later. I Thought I Could Go To The Gastro, But They Laughed Me Out Of The Office. So I Was Able To Self Pay And Go Through The Lap Band. I Here For You Both If You Have Any Questions Or Want To Talk, I Wish You Both Luck, Take Care, Linda 904-619-5620

Well it is finally confirmed, I will be getting the band. My insurance will not pay for the vertical sleeve so I will go along with my original plan. Tuesday seems like its coming very fast.

That's good, I know it will all turn out great for you. Tuesday will be here before you know it. Keep me informed about how it all went. take care, Linda

Hi I am from Monroe, La I am having band on March 21 in Dallas. Looking forward to it but also nervous as all others have said. I had a melt down yesterday wondering if i'm going to be able to do this. I LOVE to cook LOVE food I come from a cooking mom that could make dog poo taste good (if she tried) Her and I cater events I'm telling you LOVE food. I am also supposed to be a judge for my sons boy scout troop cook off in April but it's looking like that will not be possible.

I am 33 5'8" 250 lbs. when I married my husband 10 years in April I was 130 lbs. So I want to be cute again! Yes I know I have issues but ....I have also had 2 wonderful boys that are VERY active (3 & 9) 3 step children 15,20,23. So never really found time for myself to excersize eat on the run and bad genes! Thus 250 lbs!

I'm here to share my issues and listen to yours Thanks!!

Hi there, this my first post as well. I to have had the surgery, and I just had it done on 3-4-08. Im feeling tired, and alittle bloaty, but I feel this is the best decision Ive made. I know its only gonna get better from here, so obvious I need patience. How are you feeling? Tell me, how long did you go through the access air in you tummy? Write me back!! Hollimarie

Who are you getting to do your fills in louisiana, I am also having a hard time finding someone here.

Hi, I'm Linda, I went through the lap band Jan 14th of this year and so far it's going just fine. The hardest part is sticking to the diet they put you on. Less than 30 carbs, and also the period where you are on a liquid diet. Like my doctor said, it's a complete lifestyle change as far as eating goes. So you have to be dedicated to want to change your eating habits. I wish you luck, and i'm here if you need to talk or have any questions. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. take care, Linda