Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have trouble after flying?

I recently took my first extended airline flight since being banded and I got very restricted during the flight down to Antigua and it stuck around for about two days. Same thing happened on the way home, but to a lesser extent. Has anyone else experienced this change in restriction when flying?

YEP I have had that happen to me many times... I thought I was the only one... since I have to fly often I have only had two fills... its a great time to go on liquids and drop a few lbs...lol

About 90% of the time I fly, I will have issues with fluctuating restriction. I'm normally much tighter than normal upon landing (actually, in-flight, not just after I land). Sometimes I adjust while there, but normally it lasts the entire duation (I have a little theory brewing that this also has to do with where I'm usually going). Upon departing, I will be tight when I return but usually not as tight as I was before I left, and in about 2 days I'm back to normal.

Exactly, I was wondering if it had to do with the temperature change since it is cold in Maryland and very warm in Antigua. But then my husband pointed out that the increased restriction first occurred in flight. Who knows why, at least we know we are not the only ones experiencing this and that we are not imagining it!

I guess everybody is different. I have not had any difference in restriction during or after flights. Hmmm.

Giblert

I just noticed the amount of fills you have in a 4 cc band. :rolleyes: On Jan 2nd I got a second fill of .6 cc making the fill 1.6 cc. I thought I was going to die every time I took a couple of bites of anything, including applesauce. I had an unfil about 10 days later because it hurt so bad. I asked him to take .2 cc's out and he took out .3. So I now have 1.3 cc's and I have NO restriction at all. I can't even imagine having the fill that you do in a 4 cc band no matter how much weight you have lost. I am going back to Dr. on Tuesday to get another fill. I would be happy to get the whole thing back and stay on liquids rather than this way. I have not gained anything back, but have not lost either. Very frustrated.

also, I think the difference in the way the band feels is the air pressure in the cabin while flying. It must effect the stomach in some way. Just my guess.:D

I too am grateful for knowing this. I'll be flying in a couple of weeks. I just had my first fill, 2cc in a 4cc band. I was put on Clear Liquids for 2 days and so far so good.

We are all different I guess. Maybe you need smaller fills. As long as the ultimate goal is to loose the weight do what works best for you. I had to wait 7 weeks before my first fill. The first three weeks after the surgery I lost 15lbs. Then the next 4 weeks I could eat just about anything and at any amount. I did not loose nor gain but I just hung in there knowing my fills were coming up. Hang in there. BTY I will be moving to the Houston area in May and will be seeking a doctor to do fills. Let me know if you know of one. Lis

I fly to and from work every week and have not noticed any change in restriction as a result of flying. I don't have my band particularly tight though, so that may change after a few more fills. I was feeling reasonably ok with sticking to 1 cup before my first fill, so asked the doc to be pretty conservative. He only put in 1cc and it felt tight for the day, but by the next day was back to normal. I flew again a few days later and still didn't see a difference. Since then, I'm feeling a lot more hungry and regretting going easy on the first one. I'll see how flying affects things after my 2nd fill, in 2 weeks time.

I can't believe how many of you have a 4cc band! Mine is a 12cc band and I have 10cc filled. Once they put in 13cc by accident and oh my, was I in misery. I was 2 hours away from my doctor and had to sleep with a wash cloth in my mouth because I could not swallow my ow saliva! My point is, don't push it. The discomfort is not worth it.

Laura