Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"What happened to all the nice guys?"

True story: a friend of mine and I were walking the midway at a fair when we were both in our early 20's. He was lamenting his inability to ask this girl out, and I was giving him advice on the subject, when out of nowhere she appeared.

My buddy, realizing he couldn't back down in front of me or face my wrath, timidly asked the girl out. "Oh, Tom, you're my friend, and I don't date friends," she replied. I then taught my friend a valuable lesson, jumping into the conversation. "I'm not your friend, but wouldn't mind getting to know you better. How about I pick you up around 8 tomorrow night?"

Now this girl, who had known my friend for nearly a year but didn't know me from Adam, took me up on the offer. Showed my buddy just how comparatively shallow, superficial, and cat-like women can sometimes be. I never went out with the girl (actually I stood her up as a show of 'solidarity' with my buddy), but he never quite looked at women the same way after that.

Holy Crap! I must have been absent when they taught us that!!! You don't say!

and this absolve me of my right to piss and moan...how??? it was quite cathartic actually, for me anyway.

:tt1::biggrin::frown:

......................... /´¯/)

......................,/¯ ..//

...................../... ./ /

............./´¯/'...'/´¯ ¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../... ..../¨¯

........('(...´(..´...... ,~/'...')

........................ ../..../

..........''............ . _.·´

........................ ..(

........................ ...

I never said you didn't have the right. Just like I have the right to read your bitter rant, and your sarcastic reply, and deduce that real "nice guys" rarely have to announce the fact so loudly. Perhaps she blew you off for reasons different than the ones you assume.

In any case, I'm glad for you that your life is improving and hope you develop the self-esteem to stop taking stuff like this so personally. A rant every now and then is a healthy thing, I agree.

Derick, I loved your rant and sadly it has in the past been true for me.I was always attracted to men with a dark side. It has caused me a lot of pain. I always left the nice guy for some jerk.I am older now, and hope I have learned enough to grab on to the next nice guy that comes my way. Of course it would help if he was rich! LOL Donna

I just laughed at those girls because I knew I wasn't the "dating" type, but would be a great Dad and husband...and am!

I was lucky and patient enough to wait (seemed like forever) and then one day (13 years ago) she walked into my life...

I agree with your post - I was always the nice girl. Luckily, I am married and happy now - the same guys that pulled me to the side to talk to me about their girl problems and how they can't find anyone . . . blah . . . still are looking and looking, and still finding the sleazy girls - amazing how all the sleazy girls are still single, still sleazy and look like Tammy Fae after a long night of partying. :-) I am glad I was the nice girl. ;-)

Derrik, I am sorry someone did you wrong dear!

In regards to your rant I agree 110%. I married an asshole and I get paid back everyday if that helps you any. :eek: I will live my life regretting dropping the nice one. He found someone good for him and you will too, someday she will regret it. I know, trust me...

;)

That's a funny post, Derrick but it works both ways. Sure, those hot girls were just using the "nice guys" for emotional support and had no intention of ever dating them. Sadly, in my hey day (back in the Dark Ages), I was one of those and I have lived to regret it. However, on the other hand, all those "nice guys" weren't mooning after Miss Plain or Miss Shy or Miss Plump, sitting in the corner, now were they? If the "nice guys" are going to fall all over themselves being an emotional support crutch for the local hottie, is it really all the girl's fault for taking advantage of his willingness to be a doormat?