Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi my name is china i was band 12-15-08. it took me 3 months to get it done. for those of you having to go on the diet and r worried dont be coming from some one that didn't do it before you will be alright. i lost the 43lbs doing sb and liquid diet the last 4 days b4 surgery. i learned i can diet and i learned i like working out. who knew. time will go quickly its so worth it. coming from a person that started out at 432lbs i lost 8lbs before i started the program you can do it. coming here and reading and talking with others really helped to.

Hi everyone,

How was everyones Christmas???? I called Dr. Hoffmans office today. I then called the number for the app. So now i just have to wait for the app right??? Then what happens??? Also how long do u stay in the hospital after the surgery??? How long before the surgery do u have to do the south beach diet???? I know alot of questions. How long do u keep seeing Dr. Hoffman after surgery???? I see it took some people long to get there app. is that because so many people what to have this done???? Well i guess i won't bug ya's nomore today lol. Take care everyone and thanks for the help. God Bless ya all.

I didn't go with Dr. Hoffman so I am not sure how they handle everything. All docs are so different. My surgery was about 8 months after I got the ball rolling. However, my doc and insurance required me to do a six month supervised diet first.

I stayed in the hospital just overnight and went home the next day.

I had to do a one week liquid diet prior to surgery. I lost 10 lbs. from that alone. I think they do this so you are prepared to do liquids after the surgery.

Good luck!

I am in Buffalo and I am having my surgery on 1/15/09 at Sisters Hospital by Dr. Viglianco. Very excited!

Hi Everyone,

It's me luckyclover4u(Kat for short] lol. I have a few questions. First i have a hital hernia will i be able to get the band??? Second if i need to lose only 70 to 80 lbs will they do it still???? Last but not least does BCBS of WNY cover it??? I really found hope reading all your messages. I know that 70 to 80 lbs don't seem like alot to some but it seems a live time to me, i have some health problems because of my weight. Ive had two back surgerys one major. My weight is not helping that out either. I told my parents about it and my mother flew off the handle. She said i guess some people just like to have surgeries. Yes i have had a few surgeries, but not because i wanted them. Iam 5'3 and just want to be healthy. I don't think i'll get support from my parents. My husband is behind me though. Iam the heaviest one in my family. Well thanks for listening. Congrads to all who have lost weight. Have a great Christmas and a healthy happy New Year. Kat

Kat: I have BC/BS and it took me 4 months to go through the insurance process, but i also have sleep apnea and depression which moves me up the list. I didn't have to do anything besides my pre-op diet, which starts next week, ah! I am going to Sisters Hospital and Dr. Viglianco is my surgeon.

Hi,

Thanks for the help everyone. I have Depression also and breathing problems from my weight. I don't think they'll let me have the surgery though. Back in 2000 i had what was called fondoplication done for my acid reflux.:) Now my hitial hernia is back and so is the reflux. So iam thinking iam not going to be a canadaite. I guess i have to keep my fingers crossed.:Banane20: I called last friday for my applacation, from Dr. Hoffmans office.

Edited by luckyclover4u

Alot of people have acid reflux and the hernia ...that will not stop being able to have the band. My journey started in Feb 08 and my surgery was 10/6/08 by Dr Hoffman. I lost 17 pounds pre-op on South Beach and have lost 23 more since surgery. That's not bad considering Thanksgiving & Christmas. I had Independent Health and had no trouble being approved for the surgery.

Good luck on your journey! BTW there is a Buffalo/Dr Hoffman thread here too

Edited by DeeH
spelling

Hi everyone! I'm at the very beginning of my journey and was just reading all of your posts. I live in Lockport, NY, am married and have a 3 year old daughter and am 241lbs. I also work for Independent Health and can answer any questions you may regarding the insurance coverage.

All of your successes are really inspiring!!

It looks like I have two options in our area for Lap band surgery - the group at Buff Gen and Dr. Caruana. My hubby has had gastric bypass surgery with Dr. Caruana about 4 years ago. I am familiar with their office and they way that the qualify people, so I was leaning towards them, but it sounds like Buff Gen may be a little more experienced with what I am looking for. What do you all think? Is the first step with both of these practices filling out an application?

Again, congrats to everyone on how far you have come!