Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Bagnato - Bagnato Bandits

Argh! I am a stupid, stupid, stupid woman.

I had a fill last week. I really haven't been hungry at all, but when I eat I am able to eat much more than I would like. So, Leslie gave me .5 cc, thinking we were getting close to where I want to be.

I also confessed that I had been eating very little and my weight loss was less than what is normal for me (losing weight has not been my problem in the past, just falling off whatever program I was on and gaining it back). We discussed my eating pattern, and I'm embarrassed to tell y'all what I had been doing: not eating until supper time each day. I know, I know - dumb! So Leslie told me what I really already knew, which was that I have to EAT to lose. Specifically, I have to eat Breakfast and lunch and keep my metabolism going all day.

So I am doing that, feel better, healthier, all that except now I am getting hungry - really hungry. It has always been true for me that I am more hungry for lunch if I eat breakfast, more hungry for supper if I eat lunch. I am losing weight, but thru sheer force of willpower and major calorie counting only. I feel like I have less restriction now than I did before.

I feel so dumb. I mean, duh, of course

eating ---> metabolism working ----> hunger, when you are being healthy and not piggy.

So I called and talked to Leslie, and she said give it another week to 'kick in,' add a snack, and we'll see.

Opinions, similar experiences appreciated.

Edited by oneder_woman
to make my post coherent

Here's my kick in the butt for ya, :thumbup:

Okay....I guess it's more like a poke, but you get the picture, lol.

I am glad you are eating now. The only meal I ever skip (only occasionally) is breakfast, and that's only when DS spends the night with his Nonna, lol. I usually do a shake for breakfast. I do usually have a snack around 3 or 4 each day too and occasionally have a very small snack after dinner. You HAVE to eat or your body will hold on to everything for energy, especially if you are doing any exercising.

How many calories are you getting in each day? Any exercise? How's your Water intake? Lots of things to consider.

Thanks, GG for the response, and for the poke - I need one on a pretty regular basis!

I am having Carnation instant breakfast, full cal version, for breakfast. It's quick enough and has a reasonable amount of Protein. I think I am going to switch to the lower or no sugar variety next time I buy, if I can find that.

I am exercising each day - some days I walk with my DH, some I dance in the kitchen like an idiot. Honestly, I work up more of a sweat and get my heart rate going more with the dancing, but DH likes to walk so we compromise.

Water is a-okay, it's all I drink, besides the Carnation in the a.m. I track it all on thedaily plate.

As for calories, I am getting between approx. 1200 a day, which is the number that Leslie at OTC came up with. It's more than the 800-900 I originally thought I'd be eating, but then, I don't have optimum restriction. What about everybody else? What is your calorie target?

On a side note - Wal-Mart has the BEST frozen salmon. The brand is Sea Cuisine. It has 230 cals for a large serving, if you have tight restriction you might only want half of a serving. Lots of protein, very yummy.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Oneder, Georgia! I don't have much time this week to post - crazy busy at work, but thought I'd get in a quick post...

Oneder - I get in about 1200 calories a day. I was getting 800-1000, but when I started exercising I noticed that I had a hard time losing in the 800-1000 range. I do better to consume a little more. My Protein target is 60g a day. I too do the carnation instant breakfast. I do the sugar free and mix it with Hood Calorie Count Down (2%) and a Tablespoon of Natural Peanut Butter. I blend it (using my magic bullet) - whala - Protein Shake. It is really good too.

Georgia - I've tried counting carbs, can't do it. I do better on calories - as long as I get in my protein and Water. I have to be careful with sodium though - sometimes I get too much of that.

Do you love your magic bullet? It looks really cool. I want that and a George Foreman grill. I hate clutter on the counter, tho.

I should say, I do the 1200 cals but I also watch the carbs as well.

Oh, and I didn't tell you guys - my DH had emergency surgery Labor Day to take his gallbladder out. His doc also told him at that time that he is diabetic. Five days in the hospital, and it was NOT fun, BUT - It's the best thing that could have happened, because now he has to be serious about his eating habits and exercise, which he needed to be. *And* it's a lot easier for me to eat well when he isn't wanting to order pizza at least one night a week, always wanting to go out to eat, ordering buttery popcorn at the movies, stopping for ice cream after a fattening dinner out, etc, etc, a thousand et ceteras.

Georgiagirl - I received the October newsletter today and I really enjoyed reading about you. It's hard to believe that both pictures are the same person. You look so, so happy and really pretty. When's your 5K? Be sure to keep us posted on how it turns out.

Georgiagirl - I received the October newsletter today and I really enjoyed reading about you. It's hard to believe that both pictures are the same person. You look so, so happy and really pretty. When's your 5K? Be sure to keep us posted on how it turns out.

Thanks Nip! I didn't have any good before pictures, so I told Terri she could just use the one they took at the office.......all I can say is WOW!! I didn't know I looked that big, lol. Anyway, seeing them side by side is a life changing moment for me.

The 5K is next month, Nov. 8th. I'm really excited, yet nervous about it. I can't run a whole 5K yet, but I'm getting there. Thanks again!!

I couldn't figure out how to attach the link, so I'll just copy and paste to this post.

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE width=620 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellPadding=0 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>nllogo.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=450>Hello Monica,

Congratulations Pam: 100 pounds lost in 12 months

bariatric-surgery-results-pam.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've tried just about every diet known to man. From Weight Watchers to Atkins, none of them had any lasting results. In June 2007, I decided enough was enough. I was so tired of being unhappy and depressed. I didn't even want to leave my house! I was so out of shape and I felt so unhealthy. I had seen the lap band commercials on TV and started researching it. I made an appointment with Dr. Bagnato and I knew that the lap band system was right for me. The process went very smoothly and I had my surgery September 20, 2007.

It's been a year since my surgery and I have lost 100 lbs! I still have a little way to go, but I couldn't be more pleased with my results. A year ago, I got winded just walking to my car. Today, I am training for a 5K! I never thought I would be a runner and it feels incredible! The band helped me get my life back. I feel happier and healthier than I have felt in 10 years! ~Pam

Visit our Patient Results page for more bariatric surgery success stories

Putting Portions in Perspective

putting-portions-in-perspective.jpg"What should I eat?" is a question commonly heard by doctors and dietitians. Yet, in some ways it is the wrong question entirely. With variety as the cornerstone to a healthy diet, the true challenge isn't just choosing the right foods, but rather consuming the appropriate amounts. Luckily food labels provide valuable information as to how a food can fit into a daily meal plan. But, what happens when a food doesn't come with a label? Continue reading...

Lap-Band Support Group Meeting

Thursday October 16th at 7pm

Palmyra Regional Rehab Center

2000 Palmyra Road

Albany, GA

(Enter off of 13th Avenue)

Share Your Story

Meet New Friends

Bring Ideas and Suggestions

Refreshments Will Be Served

(Next Meeting Thursday November 13<SUP>th</SUP> at 7pm)

Chili Relleno Casserole with Chicken

chili-relleno-casserole-with-chicken.jpgIngredients

• 1-7oz. can Mild Green Chilis, diced ( can use 2 large fresh Pablano peppers instead)
  • 1 Yellow Onion, diced
  • 3 Green Onion, diced
  • 8 chicken Breast Tenders, cubed (can use small bite size pieces)
  • 1 cup Mexican Blend Shredded cheese, low fat
  • 1/4 cup pancake Mix (can use Arrowhead Mills Multigrain Pancake Mix)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/4 cup of egg substitute
  • 1/2 cup fat free Milk
  • Butter/Oil flavored spray

Toppings:

• Low fat Sour Cream (or Fage Greek yogurt with Taco Seasoning sprinkled in it)
  • Salsa
  • Sliced Avocado
  • Hot Sauce

Preparation

Remove seeds from peppers, dice. Set aside. Saute onions till golden in butter/oil spray. Set aside. Saute chicken till golden. Add onions and green chilis to chicken.

Mix pancake mix, salt, and baking powder in small bowl. Add egg and milk to make a batter.

Spray casserole dish. Layer 1/2 chicken & veggies, 1/2 the cheese and 1/2 the batter mixture. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until golden and knife inserted comes out clean.

Serve topped with sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado and hot sauce.

Makes 6 servings - Calories 176 per serving

Percent Daily Values per Serving

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%">

• Total fat 4g (6%)
  • Saturated 1g Fat(7%)
  • Monounsaturated 1g Fat(5%)
  • Polyunsaturated 1g Fat(5%)
  • Cholesteriol 84mg (28%)
  • Sodium 385 mg (16%)
  • Potassium 382mg (11%)
  • Total Carbohydrate 10g (3%)
  • Dietary Fiber 2g (3%)
  • Protein 25g (51%)
  • Calcium 168mg (17%)
  • Iron 2mg (9%)

</TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%">

• Zinc 1 mg(10%)
  • Vitamin C 52mg (87%)
  • Vitamin A 332IU (7%)
  • Vitamin A 60 1/2(6%)
  • Vitamin B6 .5(26%)
  • Vitamin B12 .6mcg(9%)
  • Thiamin B1 .1mg(8%)
  • Riboflavin B2 .3mg(15%)
  • Folacin 28mcg(7%)
  • Niacin 9mg(44%%)

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2>Food Exchanges: Starch/Bread ½, Vegetable ½, Lean meat 3

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=170 bgColor=#f6eaec>October, 2008

In This Issue

News and Events

Schedules

Health Tips

On Our Website

Meet Our Team

Weight Loss Surgery

General Surgery

Seminar Schedule

Health Resources

Contact Us

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guest Leslie2Lose

I got my newsletter last night. Pam you look so good hun! Half the person you were - you really look it - you've lost a Calista Flockhart...:-) I'm so proud of you!

Georgia,

Way to GO! You look so cute and sassy in that photo. WooHOO!:wink2:

Thank you! I feel pretty sassy too, lol!

I got my newsletter last night. Pam you look so good hun! Half the person you were - you really look it - you've lost a Calista Flockhart...:-) I'm so proud of you!

LOL. I haven't thought about it like that. Thank you Leslie!