Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LASIK, What a great experience

I loved getting my eyes fixed. Glasses were so annoying and I couldn't wear contacts. I want my daughters to get theirs done when they are over 21. It has been several years now, I'm still 20/20, and I only need weak reading glasses.

I want to get my eyes done before I have kids. I had thought I wanted my boobs n' stuff done, but I've decided I'll wait for all the physical stuff after I'm done having kids... but to not have to deal with contacts or glasses during pregnancy or, with little children sounds like the way to go. My nephew grabs my glasses whenever he gets the chance, and there's just nothing quite like baby finger prints, lol.

I had this done for my son for his 21st birthday. I was so tired of him losing his contacts. I could hardly wait for him to turn 21 so he could have it done. He is so happy with it.

I would like to have mine done too. I have heard though, that I would be wearing reading glasses more than I would go without glasses. I am not sure if I would be any farther ahead. My glasses

now are progressive bifocals.

I wonder about the middle distance. I have sunglasses that don't have any bifocal in them, and when I wear them, I can't even see

the dash board in my car.

Is there anyone my age that can tell me whether or not I would have to wear progressive bifocals most of the time?

LASIK was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. I am a mother of a 3 year old and a 1 year old and that means a lot of waking up in the middle of the night. This translated to sleeping in my contacts so that I could see what I was doing when I had to check on my kids; after 20 years, it was starting to take a toll on the health of my eyes. Dr. Wiles is so informative and has such a calm demeanor; he put me at ease even though I was nervous about the procedure. He went through all of the steps involved in the treatment so that I knew exactly what to expect. I appreciate everything he has done to make my vision what it is today. I can now see 20/20 with no help."

Is there anyone in their 50's that has had this done?

I really want to know if I would still be wearing glasses most of the time

because of not being able to seen close up.

I had LASIK done in November 2001 when I was 46. I love it and wish I had it done sooner. The next year, both of my twins, who were 22 at the time, had it done, and my husband, who is my age. None of us have had any complications at all.

My husband and I had our eyes corrected for monovision, which means one eye is corrected for far vision and the other for near vision. I couldn't adjust (though I was told that 95% of people do adjust -- they do this with contacts, too) so they corrected the second eye for far vision, free of charge, about three months after my initial surgery. I'm 52 now and still don't have to wear reading glasses even though I was in bifocals before the surgery.

My husband has to wear reading glasses now and then because he had them correct his near vision to about three feet away since he plays trumpet in several bands and wanted to be able to see the music on the stand. He doesn't want to hold a book three feet away when he reads, though, so that's why he needs the reading glasses. I understand that there is now an operation to correct for both near and far-sightedness.

My son is a Marine and he said he will be able to get LASIK done in a few months paid for by his medical benefits. It must be pretty mainstream if the military will pay for it! Our fourth child never needed glasses -- can't figure that one out! :)

Thanks! I really want to have this done. It's so expensive where I live. I plan to do it as soon as I can afford it. It's 4,000 where I live. I am visiting my dad in Arizona right now, and they are advertising it for $300 per eye. I wouldn't want to get it done on vacation though.

LASIK was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. I am a mother of a 3 year old and a 1 year old and that means a lot of waking up in the middle of the night. This translated to sleeping in my contacts so that I could see what I was doing when I had to check on my kids; after 20 years, it was starting to take a toll on the health of my eyes. Dr. Wiles is so informative and has such a calm demeanor; he put me at ease even though I was nervous about the procedure. He went through all of the steps involved in the treatment so that I knew exactly what to expect. I appreciate everything he has done to make my vision what it is today. I can now see 20/20 with no help."

*snort* Gee...is this an advertising thread, or what? Considering this newest "supporting poster" has only posted about LASIK, either. Is advertising allowed on this board?

I don't get what you are asking. The thread was started in lap band lounge where we can talk about other things besides lap band. People are talking about eye surgery, and I asked quesitons of people who had it who are in my age group.

I don't consider that advertising. Nobody is mentioning to go to a certain doctor, etc.

Denise: I think Steph is talking about the original post, which does sound like an advertisement, especially since the poster has never posted again.

But it's been a good discussion! I felt like some of the negative things I heard about lap-band surgery were very similar to the negative things I heard about LASIK -- the friend of the friend of the friend who had complications? :thumbdown: But having such success with LASIK (as well as my husband and two daughters) helped me get past some of the naysayers about lap-band surgery. I'm so glad I did!

I don't get what you are asking. The thread was started in lap band lounge where we can talk about other things besides lap band. People are talking about eye surgery, and I asked questions of people who had it who are in my age group.

I don't consider that advertising. Nobody is mentioning to go to a certain doctor, etc.

If you managed to read my post, you will see that I quoted exactly whom I was talking about. Two posters are referring to ONE CERTAIN DOCTOR. Guess I'm the only one paying attention. I am certainly up for good discussion and no, it doesn't have to be about Lap Band. OBVIOUSLY - based on my first post in this thread. What gets me is people thinking they are being sly or some garbage with the name-dropping. I just hope nobody is stupid enough to not see the advertisement for what it is. This thread sounds exactly like what Wasabubblebutt talked about in her thread about patient coordinators. It just makes me angry when people will abuse a message board like this for their own purposes. And no, I wasn't referring to you or I would have either used your name or quoted your post.

OP is/was a spammer. I let this thread be since there was discussion around it. He or she has come back with similar, single word "humble" handles and posted the same topic with links to that site and others, all of which I've taken down.

I can't get it. I have one eye that I don't use, it works (barely) but only to add in peripheral vision on that side. I've been told they won't risk it incase I lose vision completely in my good eye. Then again, I've always liked wearing glasses.

thanks Wheetsin. Maybe I didn't see the post since you took some of it down? I am at the library using a computer since I am out of state taking care of my elderly father.

I only get an hour and when you're addicted to LBT the way I am, that is not nearly enough. I don't have time right now to go back and read through the entire thread again. I have 7 min. left on this computer.

:mad:

I got tomorrow to have lasix done,

Eyeball stuff FREAKS ME OUT

So, I hope to be valiumed out !!!!!